Notices

New here & New to recovery

Old 06-28-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Whiskers: I am sorry u had a bad experience that sucks....were they not welcoming?? The one i went to they were so understanding I couldnt believe it....here was me this stranger i just had admitted that i wasnt clean not even close and like rite in the middle of the meeting these women were practically running over and hugging me...i thought for sure i was gonna get my butt chewed cuz i came to the meeting under the influence....maybe u should try a different location....they have different kinds of meetings to....honestly i went to the meeting with my nephew....he has been in some trouble with the law and smoking pot and he had to go or he will get locked up so i decided to go with him really just to take him but after i went that one time i decided to go back and the 2nd time i went i admitted again that i wasnt clean yet and they were still super nice to me....i was floored!! Please go at least one more time i really hope it is better for u!!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
It's not that it was a super bad experience...just not feeling right. I definitely still plan on going. I won't quit after one so-so time. Like I said - I did feel better about going...but something was missing from there and I just can't put my finger on it. OH...and getting around that whole "My name is ---- and I am an addict" before anyone says something is kinda funny-creepy at the same time. For "owning up" to the disease. LOL...I volunteered to be there...what more validation to myself is there!?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have to agree............and I hope if I do go that they don't expect me to introduce myself or "share". not on my first time there anyway. and I'm not much into people hugging me either.

you'll have to convince me a little more.............
Old 06-28-2008, 11:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Duh I just noticed that was a link in ur post to how ur meeting went...lol honestly I am not a complete dum a$$...i am going to go read it now.....but i do understand what u mean about the whole my name is and im an addict that is kinda creepy but i guess they want to make sure u know ur an addict....LOL
Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

isn't that kind of like kicking you when you're down?? (scratching head)

OOOOH.. so THAT'S why i came in here. 'cause I'm an addict. I knew there was a reason........

oh ok, before people get angry with me, I know it's about taking responsibility or whatever the reasoning is. (maybe I don't know)

I'm just getting cranky. too much sun. I'll go to bed and be easier to get along with tomorrow. well, maybe not - but at least you'll get a break from me for now.
have a great night all!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Originally Posted by Klynn33 View Post
I have to agree............and I hope if I do go that they don't expect me to introduce myself or "share". not on my first time there anyway. and I'm not much into people hugging me either.

you'll have to convince me a little more.............
Oh Klynn!! I didn't have to say a word if I didn't want to. I chose to jump right in...without even announcing my name and self-validation being an addict. I even asked them if I had to because it was a bit weird. They told me "Of course not!" Just talking - or not talking - was good with them. They did want me to be comfortable. I think because I was the only volunteer out of the 6 of us new comers to be there...I didn't feel as...hmmm...don't know how quite to put that into words...maybe...in comfortable company maybe?

A part of my kind of hopes the other newbs won't show tomorrow night - even though they need to be there. I think my comfort level will be better then.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh hahaha. i didn't pay attention. I thought you "had" to say that before you spoke, and that they went around to everyone and everyone had to "share".

I was reading the post in the link you sent, and it said about them getting closer and closer to you........for your turn to speak.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

KLYNN u dont have to share at all the first time actually none of the times...they dont expect u to.....i just couldnt help it....hey if ur cranky that is to be expected....i have been super cranky these last few days and now here in Indy it is raining and storming so when i go home....i get to fight with a 9 yr old to get my bed back...lol i just know she has went and got in my bed cuz of the storms here....Talk about cranky...I will be when I get home and cant go to bed...grrrr....try to have a good rest of ur nite!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Oh hahaha. i didn't pay attention. I thought you "had" to say that before you spoke, and that they went around to everyone and everyone had to "share".

I was reading the post in the link you sent, and it said about them getting closer and closer to you........for your turn to speak.
Only because I knew I couldn't NOT speak. I was also still on my third day of w/d...pretty anxious anyway! Gotta keep perspective here. Flatts is right...you never have to say a word...ever...ever. Just sit and listen and if the mood hits...then say something, but it's certainly not expected.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Wink angry?

isn't that kind of like kicking you when you're down?? (scratching head)

OOOOH.. so THAT'S why i came in here. 'cause I'm an addict. I knew there was a reason........

oh ok, before people get angry with me, I know it's about taking responsibility or whatever the reasoning is. (maybe I don't know)

I'm just getting cranky. too much sun. I'll go to bed and be easier to get along with tomorrow. well, maybe not - but at least you'll get a break from me for now.
have a great night all!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Klynn,

Oh, i think you nailed it. It's all about having support and fellowship without having to disclose anything deeply more personal. The statement "and i am an addict" tells everyone alot about us. We all know what being an addict (alcoholics are addicts too of course) means and so the saying of it confirms our presence and qualifies the need of the gathering. It brings it all home and makes it okay, if only for that moment, for some. I have experienced thousands of such meetings and never the same one twice. No kiddin'. There'll different. How awesome is that?!

Hello. My name is Robby. i am a drug addict and thanks for being here.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Flatts4Ever View Post
Just wanted to say hi and say that today I am 6 days clean....Not a lot of time but for me 6 days is good.
Ive been an opiate addict for almost 7 yrs and last weekend while i was here at work i discovered this site and read pretty much all nite and really wanted to join and get on here and start talking to everyone.
Hoping that i might come across some people that are going through the same thing i am. Seems like there is alot of people like me....Not that i thought i was the only one....lol
This site seems very informative and i look forward to getting to know and chat with people on here
Hi Flatts4Ever,
Welcome to SR. a super congrats for your days in and many more to come i'm sure. As you can see the help, support and friendship happens around here quickly. hahaha. whats' there not to like?! Glad your here.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Klynn, Flatts~
I'm gonna say something that might get me into trouble. Meetings work for some and not for others. By all means, keep going, keep trying other meetings. I did that for a long while. First, I rode my bicycle all over the city. Then I took the train to nearby cities. I have moved several times and tried meetings in different parts of the country. I have seen how well it works for certain people, and it is always nice to know that there is somewhere safe to go.

However, after try try trying again, if it still doesn't feel right, don't beat yourselves up. I would vacillate between beating myself up for being resistant and being frustrated at feeling like a fish out of water. Identifying myself perpetually as my addiction holds little appeal, as does the thought that I am powerless. I see what they are getting at, but I really need to feel powerFUL in choosing a new way of living.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

SoosieQ - I VERY VERY much agree with you!! 100%! I don't know that this will be my way of dealing with this recovery either. I can't dismiss without trying though. How bad is it to say you don't like something if you've never tried. You did...and it didn't work. At this point - your end result may be mine, too. There ARE more than one way to get results. We need to find what works for us or it's not going to work - period. It's hard enough to make it work when we are on a path that feels right let alone one that doesn't.

Klynn...Flatts...I leave in 12 minutes! Your move...:ghug2
Old 06-29-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wkissed - let us know how your meeting went, I hope it goes better and you can feel comfortable and get something out of it. and introduce yourself properly

I would go, but I have housework still, and I have to pick up lunch stuff and get ready for tomorrow, and I have papers to sort through and my budget to plan........and then there's laundry and I would have to find a babysitter and.........

teehee.
so I'm not going tonight. and those are not excuses, they're reasons. I swear.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hello everyone...I hope everyone's monday was good....Mine was decent....I went to a meeting and it went very well.
Everyone was so nice there....it was in a different place then the last 2 meetings I went to the only downside was is I didnt get a sponser and that was really one of my goals...but next time I will get 1!!

So I am 8 days clean and I never thought I would make it this far....Today i am feeling really tired and kinda cranky.......I am at work and I just had this guy check in and he totally yelled at me and I felt like yelling back at him but I didnt cuz I am already going to be in trouble when he complains to my boss about me and honestly I didnt do anything wrong other then he didnt here what he wanted to here from me.
I need to get a new job BAD!!!!!!!
So Whisker how did ur meeting go?? KLYNN....u have to get over those reasons and go honey!!!!!
Tell me how u guys are doing!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

HI I originally posted on the new comers forum. I don't really know how this all works. LOL. But I;m not sure if I can say i'm 8 days clean thats when I came out of detox for prescription pain meds and xanax. Still trying to eat and get my energy back. Everyone has been so supportive and great. I just wanted to say that last night I went to my first NA meeting. I am not the type either to sit there and say Hi my name is Angie and im an addict and I didnt. I stood in the back of the room and listened. Heard some stories that I really couldnt relate too but def understood how they felt. It was very awkward for me, i got a stomach ache before I went...but I needed anwsers . Not everyone was friendly it seemed very clicky, I guess they all know each other for a long time. The only people that approached me were men who were all very nice some sober for 3 months, 3 years. They talked to me and made me feel welcome and gave me their phone numbers. I dont think i will use the numbers, i am going back tonight because it for some reason i walked out of there feeling a little more hopeful that its going to get better. I lost my brother 3 years ago to a drug overdose he was 42 and left 3 kids behind .last year his son my nephew hung himself because he felt guilty that he had an aurgument with his father the night before he died. Now I know the pain and turmoil that my brother was in . And i feel so guilty that i could have done more to help him. Like if I would have known about the meetings I would have went with him and supported him more.Well i'm sorry im rambeling ,but I think my point is that the meeting kind of inspired me , i doubt that i am going to speak about myself but just to talk to individuals just might be all you need. But you def have to be careful who you pick and chose as a friend. I dont trust people that easily. because the fact of the matter is that you cant. Cant do the share thing yet in the meeting, but I can easily do it here. Thanks Oh I also want to wanted to say that my boyfriend is not supportive of the meetings and he told me that he is uncomfortable fo me to have other mens numbers and get involved with NA or anyone involved because he thinks its like cult. I came home and I got a little discouraged when he was saying that, but I am going to another meeting tonight
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

wow I really dont know what im doing I thought I posted this on a different thread. oops
Old 07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome Angie....Glad ur here and glad u went to a NA meeting....I would say that not all meetings are like the ones I have went to but u usually find at least a couple people who are helpful and supportive....keep posting and let us know how u are doing!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome Angie....Glad ur here and glad u went to a NA meeting....I would say that not all meetings are like the ones I have went to but u usually find at least a couple people who are helpful and supportive....keep posting and let us know how u are doing!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I would think everyone would be nice at a meeting........fine, naive maybe but you would think everyone would remember their first night there and treat the new person accordingly.

clicks at a meeting........just like high school all over again......

I think my feelings get hurt too easy to go to a meeting