Notices

hoping for some suggestions w/d from opiates NEWCOMER

Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hoping for some suggestions w/d from opiates NEWCOMER

Ho my name is Angie and I am a new comer and need advice have been taking opiates for the past year and a half.vicodin,percocet and also xanax for 11 years. On wed June 8th I went to a dr to get suboxone and started taking it that day , well i have to tell you that was the most god awful drug ( for mr anyway) because the dr told me that i could not take xanax with it, which i was taking for 11 years. so i stopped taking it because i was scared and i went into w/d from the xanax, after 2 days of major panic attacks couldn't sleep couldn't eat. I drove myself to a detox center. They treated me with methadone and Librium. and constant meetings, i have to tell you that i felt like I was one step below of being in jail. I didn't have a very pleasant experience there. I'm sure no one does!! I was there from fri June 20th to Tues. June 25th. they released me with no direction except to go to meetings. Never told me what to expect when I came out. When I was there they also told me that I had low potassium and gave me pills for it. didn't send me home with anything. when i walked out of there i thought I felt great but the truth is I am still sick as dog, cant sleep,eat,I am so restless and my body aches and very week. . i apologize that i am such a complainer !!! But when does it stop???? Is there anything I can do to help myself. i have to admit i am guilty I had to start taking xanax again because i cant deal with the Anxiety. probably the worst thing i could have done. but that was under control i only took it when i needed it or usually 1/2 Mg to sleep. the opiates were killing me. I just couldn't stop taking them!! more and more everyday just not to feel sick. My brother died 3 years ago at 42 from an overdose of pain killers and xanax and i felt like i was going down the same road. Please if someone can be kind enough to give me some advice I would appreciate it so much!!! I know I should be going to meetings but I am such a closed off person . My own family didn't know until i just went into detox. I felt so free when i walked out of there and now i feel desperate again
Old 06-28-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Attend NA meetings to meet & talk with other people having the same or similar problems, start working on the 12 step program.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you need to go see your doctor! potasium levels are very serious. As are many detox related issues. PLEASE call you doctor immediately and ask to see someone. I didn't get over my physical problems in a week or even a month....and if you have physical problems you will of course be effected emotionally.

Please see a dr. and let us know how you are doing

And welcome
Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd suggest going to your dr and talking about your symptoms with him and getting his advice.

Good for you in deciding to live a sober life!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the quick responses. I am going to take your advice and go to a Dr. today. Thank you
Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so glad...let us know how it goes.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow I wish i found you before I went through this nightmare. All this information that you just gave me was everything that I was searching for and no one had any answers. I did get this dr from that website his name is dr Greenblat in Hauppauge LI NY. I thought he specailized in this field because og the wesbsite and he was affrodable for me. Because most of these Drs do not accept health insurance so I had to pay cash. and then he said that had to go back to him twice a week and be on it for 6 months to a year. I told him that i have been on zanax for 11 years and his amswer was I rather you not take it. that just did not sit right with me so thats why i went to a detox hospital where they treated me with methadone and librium. And I still feel horrible. But I just went to an md today to get some blood work to see if my potassium level is back up. Did you get the restless leg syndrome from the opiates or is that just part of w/d? I called the detox place I was in today to get some information and they had no answers for me. So called proffesionals. I am just so sick and angry at the same time. i really have the right mind to reoprt this dr to putting my health in danger. In your experience do you think that it is better to taper off the opiates if someone cant afford to get the suboxone? I also have a friend with an opiate addiction and i want to help him out. I have to tell you that you are a godsend and i really truly appreciate all the information and support . I am so happy to know that there are people out there that really care. I wish you the best and I hope all your health issues get better. You are in my prayers. you are the best!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Still weak and listless

Yesterday I went to the drs. and they did a blood test. still waiting for them to call. He didn't suggest anything just told me to wait for the blood results. I feel like I am not strong enough to go through this. I'm not craving at all but I am wondering why i even bothered to stop if this feeling is worse!!!! Im sorry just had to get this off my chest,, dont mean to bring anyone down, I just want my energy back . :wtf2
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry the doctor didn't help Angie -

and the lack of energy was one of my biggest complaints (after the worst of the withdrawals went away). I would get up for about half hour at a time. But it does come back. you're body has to heal, and I guess it needs rest to do that. (and lots of rest)
just know that everyday is going to get a little better.
don't start wondering why you bothered to stop - your brain will talk you into going back to it. get whatever you like off your chest today - venting every now and again is good for us I think.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, I think I am stressing myself out because I have to go to work tomorrow and i'm afraid I wont have the energy. Just heard from the Dr and all my levels are fine so I guess this is also a mental process. I just have to start thinking positive!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

My son went to the doctor a couple of days after he went through a 6 day detox program. The grant only paid for 6 days so they sent him out in the middle of the worst of it. The first couple of days were horrible, he laid outside in his clothing on the ground in the rain because it "felt better" - but he did not go get Methadone to feel better. He was honest with the family practice doctor he saw, and he now sees him weekly for assistance with all of this. He gets a small daily dose of Klonopin to help him sleep through the spasms and "skin crawlies" and a small dose of Ultram every eight hours for the body pain. It's not perfect but it is nonnarcotic and it has been a month and he is getting through it. Of course, if he doesn't, he loses his sons permanently. If necessary, I would find another doctor if I were you because there are professionals out there who can help you.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, another bad night last night......... couldnt sleep restless, so today i wnet to the ER. They gave me zofran for nausea and a drug called Clonidine, which is helping so far. I had the most restfull sleep in the hospital today than in the past two weeks. Hopefully it will work tonight. He prescribed the med to take 2 times a day for 4 days. just wanted to share this information in case anyone is going through the same thing. So now I feel a little more hopeful. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Angie

good for you for taking steps to get this looked after. I'm glad you were able to get some sleep - it makes all the difference in the world. I hope you keep feeling hopeful, and get more rest tonight!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Hi Angie,

That is what they gave me too, the clonidine and I think it was ativan to sleep. Try to just get thru this w/ out the sub if possible. I know that detoxing sucks, but you can do it! I have done it numerous times. 2 years ago was the worse. I thought I was going to die, but somehow I got thru it. I am glad you went to the hospital and I am glad that you got some rest. Yes, i had major restless leg syndrome, I threw up, had diarrhea and I just laid there wide awake all night.

Today I am 5 1/2 months out. I have felt totally normal now for months! I have a new life and am involved in NA. My husband likes me much better now.

welcome to SR! keep on posting!

Sheila
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Red face

Im new to it to. Im on my 5th day and must say it has been a long road.It started with back pain and a doc who gave it out in hand fulls.I was completely stupid when it came to the risks of becoming addicted.One day someone stole some pain meds from so i thought ill just wait the wk and go into the doc like normal but then i began to get sick so me not thinking decided to take the rest of a old prescription from the denist to get me through.BIG MISTAKE I went to the doc the following wk and told them what happen and what i did and they drug tested me. Well i failed but something showed up that i havent took and i found out that some times the dust off of watson meds gets on the other meds and can show up on a drug test.So my doc gave me enough meds to get me to the following wk while they send the test off.I came back in the following wk and past the drug test but then was told i would not be allowed back.So i was pretty much thrown out and was givin no help to get off the opana. So here i am 6mths later on my 2nd try of getting off the pain meds.I am agitated sick and the worst body aches and cramps possible. But i am going to make it, not only for me but for my kids.These docs need to realize that yes we need pain meds but if they start to see a problem dont go throwing them out, help them off and go another route.I wish you all the luck and hope it works out.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Jenny4499

This is a 4 year old thread so I'm not sure the original poster is still checking in...

Glad to have you here tho - there's a lot of support here.

We also have a substance abuse forum you may be interested in reading
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D