Notices

I got the shakes

Old 06-27-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got the shakes

I am shaking so much right now .. it took me half an hour to register.

Drink has taken over my life .. first thing i do when I wake up, last thing at night.
I have bottles hidden all over the house (in case my wife finds them)

I will post more details later, when I sttop shaking so much
Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome to sr, murphys - glad you found your way here.

sorry you are struggling today. can you call or visit a doctor? he/she would be able to help you.

be safe and keep coming back , k
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was like that too when i stopped....it is part of the withdrawal from the physical additction to alchohol (probably). It would be really good to get to your doctor for some help with that and for an overall checkover. and if you can get help from a friend or family member it would be helpful. Please post when you can!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, murphys. You have found a great place full of nice and supportive folks. Please come back and keep posting. You might want to read the stickies at the top of this forum and also the alcoholism forum. There's a great deal of insight there.

Once again, welcome! :ghug3
Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Murphy's,

I know how awful it feels to stop drinking, but you can do it and there's lots of support here.

Have you talked to your dr? Stopping drinking can be dangerous.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome murphys,

it is great that you are ready to get sober. the shakes are part of the detox, but as has already been said, it is dangerous, to detox alone without medical monitoring.Can you call the doctor now or go to the ER and get some medical advise?

We care and we will still be here for you always~~
Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Murphy's-

Stay strong, you are off to a great start.

If you contact your doctor he/she should be helpful, in assisting in the withdrawl process.

Keep Posting!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I agree..Talk to a Dr.
Hope you feel better.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there everyone one. I physically do not know what you are feeling as I am not a drinker but my husband is a heavy duty non functioning alcoholic. Can anyone point me to a friends and family forum - I am not sure how to navitage this site yet as i am new. Please stay postivie and try to get help for yourself. There is help out there you just have to want it bad enough.

My prayers are with you all.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are all so courages for trying to help yourselves get sober. that is such a big step. Just keep trying. If you fall try try again. Try as many times as it takes but don't give up on yourself. You have one life - learn the tool to love yourself. You deserve a good normal life. Everyone does.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Murphs - can your doctor give you something to help you with the shakes and the withdrawls. Is there someone you can call to keep with you to make sure you do not drink? You need help an support. My husband was givin an antianxiety medication to help with the withdrawl symptoms and it does help a bit. There is no overnight fix. Dr can help you and so can friends and family but you have to give it your all. you are worth it just keep trying. You can do it.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Is there anyone on line that can help me get to a friends and family forum. I realy could use some help with stories on how family deal and cope with the disease. I want to help my husband but need to help myself first. Any resonse or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Murphys, good for you for writing in. I was in the same shape once not too long ago. A good thing for me was to rid the house of all booze. You can do it!

Heavy
Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadandhopeless View Post
Is there anyone on line that can help me get to a friends and family forum. I realy could use some help with stories on how family deal and cope with the disease. I want to help my husband but need to help myself first. Any resonse or help would be greatly appreciated.

sadandhopeless - welcome. Here is the link for our Friends and Families forum:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/
Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind replies .. Today is day 1 for me
I have been a drinker all my life and it has caused countless problems that directly interfered with my ability to function properly (mentally and physically)
When I say 'Day 1' .. it's not my first 'Day 1' .. I have stayed away for varying periods ranging from a few days / weeks to years.
I would regard myself as reasonably smart and know this stuff will end my life a damn sight quicker than I would like .. but I seem to keep falling off the wagon ..
My wife (And she is a really fantastic person) .. the person I have hidden it from, who has always been there for me (she doesn't know .. yet!) I ask it's there .. when I make my drunken demands (I hide it very well, being drunk)

I can drink a bottle of hard liquor in the time it takes other people to have a coffee and seem completely 'normal' when in fact my alcohol-addled brain is 'full of ****' and I am not only hurting myself .. I'm hurting her ...

It has to stop ..

Sorry for the ramblings ..

BTW .. I have been to doctors .. I have mild cirrhosis of the liver .. shows how smart I am!

Again, thanks for the kind replies

I would just like to add .. I have no idea why this precious woman, my wife, has put up with me .. a true angel
Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Murphy I have been in your shoes, I strongly urge you to see a doctor ASAP if you plan on detoxing.

Detoxing from alcohol without medical supervision is like plyinh tag with semi's on the interstate during rush hour!!!! Deadly!!!! Every person is different, more then one person has died of a stroke or heart attack while doing a home detox, some folks go into the DT's..... seizures and hallucinations, the seizures can kill as well as high blood pressure, strokes and heart attack.

I went through a medical detox, they kept the shakes to a minimum, controlled my blood pressure, gave me anti-seizure meds..... the really bad stuff did not hit me until the third day, but the staff kept mine well under control.

Please see a doctor first about getting physically sober first, then address staying sober.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can't be medically supervised, not in the country I am in at the moment .. there are 2 kinds of supervision .. those who are sane, and those who are not (alcohol, drugs etc)

I do whoever have a psychologist, who I have lied to .. for obvious reasons ..

I am going to take strength from the people here and do it alone.
I understand the medical implications as I have done a great deal of reading.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Murph if you are going to do this at home please make sure someone is with you at all times to call an ambulance. If there is AA in your area you may consider calling them and telling them what you are doing, they may have some old timers that may be familiar with home detox to help you out.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There is an AA association here .. They only list 'visiting times' ... and an answer phone number ..
I will try my best to visit a meeting today.

Thanks Taz .. I hear you ..

I'm partway through 'Day 1'

Though still having problems right now (with the bottle)
Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My experience was that day 3 was the worst, that was the day they had to up my anti-siezure meds, but then again they were adjusting my blood pressure meds almost every 2 hours. We are all different though, I have heard of some folks not going into DT's until day 4 or 5.

BTW I will be on vaction next week so I hope to hear great things from you when I get back on the 5th.