Notices

Is it okay to date in sobriety?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

:wtf2I'm new to this site and also a newbie in sobriety. I attended meetings in the past but for the last 9 months on a regular basis. I found that men were always trying to pick me up and I shut them off only mingling with women. Since I had to work on getting well and respect my self first. I recently have been ignoring the niceness of a gentleman in the fellowship because I am of afraid of getting hurt. I explained to him that my sponsor told me to work on myself first. But, recently I've been thinking that it would not hurt to hang out and talk with him after all he is in the fellowship and i need a male perspective on things. What do you thinK? Any advice for me. I have been engaging in sober activities with the gals such as shopping, lunch, events crafting etc...
Old 06-25-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I think the suggestion not to date for a year is a little arbitrary. But, then again, what I thought hasn't served me real wll in the past.

Congrats on your 9 months! You've almost got a year anyway!

I think that if you feel strong and secure in your sobriety and in your boundaries, doing some very mild dating (not, like running off to vegas!) might even be of value to you. It might be fun. Fun is good. And it might show where there are some "cracks" in your boudaries and what you maybe need to look at again. Maybe you could double up with another couple and meet for a frappacino or something... you know? Easy.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck to you. Just keep it really light and simple - I would think that would be the most important thing.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Angel,

I am at 11 months. I've never put a rule on myself about not dating or having a relationship in the first year. I could go on and on but I won't. And I do have to be careful because when I had long term sobriety before I completely exed one half of the human race out of my life and that was very definately a mistake.

perhaps prayer and meditation would help you to find an answer for yourself?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds like you're doing great!

I think, as long as you put your sobriety first, you'll be fine.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
What's your history like with romantic stuff? Any obsessive tendencies or no? How's your life going other than this? They say the best time to start a relationship is when you don't need one, when it's just something added to make life even more special.

If you are dating without any expectations (something I never seem able to do) and you aren't feeling real lonely or anything that is going to speed up things before you can handle them, maybe OK?

I don't know...I think I'm the person they invented the no-dating rule for. I broke up my relationship a couple of weeks ago because it was interfering in my recovery. I just have to have recovery as the priority for now. One of my ex's from years ago wants to get together but I'm terrified.

I have 82 days clean without any relapse, but I can almost feel the relapse coming when I get near a man. If you're farther along then me, though, maybe you'll do better than I feel I can. I'm feeling right now as though I can't even imagine dating now. Just too fragile at this point. What about you? Does it feel right to date now?
kj
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I ask my AA sponsees to finish their formal
12 Step work before starting a new relationship.

Those who do seem to have an easier time
of keeping emotionally balanced.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey angel~
I am a bit of a rebel, so don't mind me...I think this issue is all about perspective.
We are all different and it is important to acknowledge yourself and your own needs. It has taken me years to define my own sense of boundaries, and I still have a long way to go. Essentially, I feel that if a relationship seems healthy, and you trust yourself to remain centered, by all means, go for it. If relationships throw you off-center and distract you from staying strong, it is probably best to abstain. All I am saying is that it is important to make your own decisions and not allow others to make up your mind (and heart) for you.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Like I said in another thread, these are just my opinions.

I think the no dating the first year is a suggestion that can vary depending on the person. And from what you have told us, it sounds like you are working a good Program and have built up friendships with the women in the Program.

I have seen some men and women with a month or so in Recovery who get into a relationship and defocus from their Program, try to work the other person's Program for them . . . and when the relationship has troubles it usually effects their Sobriety.

When I first got into Recovery, I felt as though I wasn't "complete" if I wasn't in a relationship. If I would have gotten into a relationship, even within the first year or so, I know that it would have totally distracted me from my Program.

To me, you sound as though you have both eyes open. How long does this guy have in the Program? If he isn't fairly new, I say go get a cup of coffee, just don't let it develop right into his and her tattoos right away!

Hey, and congrats on the 9 months! That's awesome. Keep it up!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 06-25-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I have seen some men and women with a month or so in Recovery who get into a relationship and defocus from their Program, try to work the other person's Program for them . . . and when the relationship has troubles it usually effects their Sobriety."

Yup.

Try not to let anything distract YOU from YOUR program.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

aww you guys are so nice thank you! This is why I love this fellowship... I remember in my outpatient class some of the people wanted to ask the same question and were glad I did.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I learned the hard way - got involved early on with relationships. The first time, I stopped going to as many meetings, or I only went to them with him. It became difficult to form friendships with women because of this. I eventually relapsed when the relationship ended.

Another time, I went to meetings on my own, but still didn't connect with women. I told myself I related to men better. When this particular relationship encountered conflict, I again drank.

I'm getting better at relationships, but I am definitely a work in progress. I'm becoming ready to see why I've been unwilling to remain single. It's a hard question.

Recovery is my #1 priority - a relationship recently ended that was interfering with it. In no way would I drink over it today. Progress.

Thanks for letting me share my experience.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Id better not - I'm married!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Okay Toomutch - that was too funny!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angel4ever View Post
:wtf2I'm new to this site and also a newbie in sobriety. I attended meetings in the past but for the last 9 months on a regular basis. I found that men were always trying to pick me up and I shut them off only mingling with women. Since I had to work on getting well and respect my self first. I recently have been ignoring the niceness of a gentleman in the fellowship because I am of afraid of getting hurt. I explained to him that my sponsor told me to work on myself first. But, recently I've been thinking that it would not hurt to hang out and talk with him after all he is in the fellowship and i need a male perspective on things. What do you thinK? Any advice for me. I have been engaging in sober activities with the gals such as shopping, lunch, events crafting etc...
Congratulations on your 9 months!

Not sure who said it, quite funny, "early in sobriety, the odds are good that the goods are odd" I ignored advice to end a very toxic relationship with an addict early in my sobriety, actually I ended it but let her back in to my life two months later. Almost two years later I'm just ending it, I'm definitely not ready. But you can be the best judge of your own situation, if you trust your sponsor they should be able to offer some input as to whether or not you're ready, and just take it easy.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Angel,

I keep hearing debate about this question, some say yes, some say no, the majority seem to say to focus on you for at least the first year.

I've also been told that anyone who would seek a relationship with us in our situation... newly sober and additionally, in some cases, other issues like divorce, depression, etc., must be more than a little flawed themselves.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by 22NGONE View Post
I've also been told that anyone who would seek a relationship with us in our situation... newly sober and additionally, in some cases, other issues like divorce, depression, etc., must be more than a little flawed themselves.
If there weren't people out there more than a little flawed themselves I'd never get a date.

(Just kidding.... but I relate best to those who are 'a little flawed themselves'.)
Old 06-26-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually it entails more than dating or not dating.

The ORIGINAL suggestion is "no MAJOR CHANGES the first year."

Now this includes, job (unless it is jeopardizing your sobriety) living accomodations (unless it is jeopardizing your sobriety) if you are in a relationship don't end it quite yet, if you are not in one, don't get in one, etc.

The idea is to concentrate on one's self and like Carol said complete the steps. By doing that we seem to be in a much better position spiritually and emotionally to make a 'wise' decision'.

I found it very helpful for me, and like Carol I advise my sponsees to finish their steps. It does seem to make a big difference.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have been lucky in that area, I was married and remained married amazingly! LOL

One of my sponsees was engaged when he first got sober to a wonderful woman who was forgiving but not enabling (Thank God!). He was sharp enough to delay thier marriage a year and a half, they are getting married in a few months. My newest sponsee is married and slowly him and his wife are working things out which is basically him working on his sobriety.

Now this is just OPINION and not experience so please keep that in mind:

1. From what I have seen in the rooms, a year is a good idea, but not cast in stone.

2. If one is SOLID in thier sobriety and the person they are considering dating is as well I would see no problem with it as long as both of them kept thier program #1.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, I think he relapsed I haven't seen him around - someone said he was in school and of course I deleted his number from my cell because of my fear of being taken in. I do feel better about opening up to new friendships in sobriety the world I knew before was too heavy.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

step 1, and step 12 can = step 13...

admitted my life is unmanageable, and would like to share it with someone else!

sorry, couldnt resist!