Notices

Joined today and hoping day 1 goes well.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 2 is now under my belt. Last night was tough though. Harder than day 1. Around 8 pm some serious urges started to creep in. I told my wife that I needed to leave. She smiled and said "that is fine." I left the house and rode my bike for about 1/2 hour. I actually started to think about how good I would feel to post in this thread that I beat day 2. That thought, along with many more important things, was motivation for me. I came home, had some pizza and felt much better. Watch t.v., drank some water, took vitamins and went to bed. Sleeping was better too. Still restless, but not as much and NO SWEATS.

I appreciate all your suggestions and support. We will see how the weekend goes.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good choice jwell!

My first few days were easy bacause of how bad I felt for drinking (And getting drunk, and falling down in front of the kids etc...) I'm on about day 13 or 14 and the temptation is strong. my wife and kids are out of town for the weekend. Thankfully this Sober Recovery website is working great for me to not give in to the temptation!

Good luck, welcome here

Heavy
Old 06-27-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Way to go jwell. Sounds like your sticking to it.

BTW. What kind of bike do you ride? Would that be the self powered or motorized variety?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
Good choice jwell!

My first few days were easy bacause of how bad I felt for drinking (And getting drunk, and falling down in front of the kids etc...) I'm on about day 13 or 14 and the temptation is strong. my wife and kids are out of town for the weekend. Thankfully this Sober Recovery website is working great for me to not give in to the temptation!

Good luck, welcome here

Heavy
Thanks for the encouragement and good luck this weekend. I am wondering how mine will go as well. I am going to post a new thread in this area re. my perspective on "failure." Give it a look if you are interested.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well Jwell!

We'll be around all weekend so you can check in here whenever you want to be inspired.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daddio View Post
Way to go jwell. Sounds like your sticking to it.

BTW. What kind of bike do you ride? Would that be the self powered or motorized variety?
Thanks Daddio (Certified scrabble cheat) -

Now I know how you got your nickname. You correctly pointed out the imprecision of my prose twice. I will enjoy this type on online banter.

To clarify, on Wednesday I took my youngest child to watch my middle child play softball. My youngest child brought the dog along. Dinner afterward was with my youngest child only.

Yesterday, I rode my bike (bicycle), which is the type that is powered with your feet sitting more or less straight up.

Tonight, my wife and I are going to watch, with each of our own eyes and in person, my middle child play softball.

Hope you enjoy the weekend.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

You sound great Jwell!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

great your doing well jwell100 and
enjoy your time with your family
Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Great Decision:
Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are making progress....
Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

:(

Well after two days of zero alcohol, Friday and Saturday saw a slip. Drank some on both days, although not as near as much as in the past and not to the point of intoxication.

Sunday was good day of zero alcohol even though I was at party where it was served. With all that is going on this week, I hope / think it will be easy to get through the week. The joy of waking up refreshed and without head or body aches is getting to be very powerful for me. We will see how the 4th of July holiday goes.

Since starting this journey last week, my whole attitude about drinking has started to change. I am getting away from the "it is 5:00 p.m. and time for a drink attitude" and focusing on all the other things there are to do in the evening hours.

A friend who has been down this path and beaten it gave me a suggestion that I will share. About 1/2 hour before you usually start (or used to start) drinking eat something with a lot of sugar in it. Ice cream, cookies, candy bar, whatever. The sugar rush eases the urge for alcohol. I tried it and it works for me. Once I get past the 1/2 to 1 hour long urge to have a drink, I am good for the evening.

Hope that everyone is well. Thanks again for your support.