Notices

Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
broken wings

Cool Newbie

Hello citizens of the planet im new to this community just wanted to say hello.I myself have been drinking for (roughly) 8 years i decided to get into counseling a couple of years ago due to issues with my mother passing.Realizing i had very crippling self hatred and destruction as a result
and decided i couldn't do it by myself anymore.ultimately i suppose it was a huge step in the right direction but i feel i've gotten nowhere

Now not wanting to realize I may have a problem with alcohol i've been fighting my fallen angels going back and forth, under and over about whether or not it is a must for me to quit drinking.I'm scared of the thought of even trying because if i can't do it then it becomes a reality-there's a problem-so my excuse has been i can quit drinking i just don't want to at this point in my life. all the while being unconvinced of my own assurance.

So that is the repeat chorus i've been dancing to thanks for listening I wish you all a lovely evening

"These are not times for the weak of heart"-Alanis Morissette
Old 06-24-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SilentEyes,

Welcome!

Oh, I remember going through the phase of , 'I can quit when I am ready'. I was aware that it was some form of denial, but I kept telling myself I could. Of course, when I finally decided I was ready to quit, I couldn't. I remember my husband asking me, at a low point, 'Is it because you can't or you won't quit, or is it both?' And, it was both.

I hope you take a look around and read and learn and know that you will find lots of support here.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi..

Yoou might consider making a short term goal
of not drinking ....say 1 month
and see how that works out.

You could also have an honest talk with your doctor.
Often a blood test is done to see what damage
if any...your drinking is causing.

Good to see a new member..
Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

&
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember the days of telling myself I could quit, even did once for like half a year, after that it was always going to be someday, well that day never came until I was honest witih myself and admitted I was powerless over alcohol and my life had become unmanageable. Check out some AA meetings and see if you hear your story would be my advice. God Bless.

John
Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

This is a great site for support and I think you will find a lot of people that you relate to.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Welcome to the site Silent. We are all trying to get rowing in the same same direction here at SR. There are tens of 1,000's of us in our tiny little rafts all paddling like a you-know-what to get turned around and going downstream. Some are stuck in the river's current, some are making a pretty good day out it. Some are still sitting on the bank cutting bait. Don't be afraid of whether you can or can't. Be afraid of what will happen if you don't!! It isn't pretty.

Again, welcome and keep posting so we will know how you're doing.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Abbie-Normal

Welcome Silent! Let not your heart be troubled...you've got oodles of help here. And if'n it helps, I'm new to putting the stuff down too, new as in today. So I'll be here griping right along with ya! Keep us posted pleez!

)))))HUGGLES!(((((
-Gringo
Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR, SilentEyes!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome SR!
I loved 22's advice!
The alcohol is not going anywhere, you can go back to it anytime you want, so set a goal and see how you do and YES! go to a meeting and see if you can relate.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I would try to simplify things a bit, ask yourself a few questions -
Do I want to stop drinking?
If the answer is yes then - -
Why do I want to stop drinking?
What am I willing to try to stop drinking?

Also, I would read the stories and listen to the advice from members here. Ask questions and keep posting as well.

Again, welcome to SR. You are in the right place if you want to quit!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! - I found it took 4 years of counseling for me to even get a glimps of my underlying problems. One of the reasons it's taking so long is when I drink or use then my feelings are surpressed and my therapist can't get at them.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm new here also, but not so new to sobriety. In 1998, a friend of mine gave me the book "Drinking, a Love Story". I sat and read it, crying, drinking beer, still in denial that alcohol had such a hold on me.

Really, your situation is a "win-win" (even though it doesn't feel like it). If you give up alcohol for awhile and discover it wasn't a big deal, you can return to it, casually. If it turns out that it was a problem, I can assure you, after the detox and psychological work had progressed, you will feel like a newborn. For me, when I am sober, life begins to sparkle again.

Good luck!