Notices

seriously seeking guidance

Old 06-24-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just FYI soozie

I didn't find your posts negative at all - I saw them as an honest recounting of where you've been and where you are.

Nevertheless, for all that tomarto/tomayto stuff, MLE makes some good general points.
I found for me, when looking for solutions, it's best to canvass everything - if only to separate the stuff that doesn't work from the stuff that might.

It's your recovery- no-one else's - find what works for you...and work it.
D
Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey all~
I am about to do the "big scary" (detox) and I wanted to put it into writing to keep myself real. I've let go of alcohol in the past, but this time around it has been a BIG challenge to walk away from. Soooo...Monday is the day for me (yes, I am an addict, so I'm giving myself the weekend---ha, ha). Thank you so much for your advice and words of wisdom. Coming to these pages has made life much more enjoyable.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by SoosieQ View Post
Hey all~
I am about to do the "big scary" (detox) and I wanted to put it into writing to keep myself real. I've let go of alcohol in the past, but this time around it has been a BIG challenge to walk away from. Soooo...Monday is the day for me (yes, I am an addict, so I'm giving myself the weekend---ha, ha). Thank you so much for your advice and words of wisdom. Coming to these pages has made life much more enjoyable.
Hi SoosieQ,

way cool that these pages are making a difference! Can't say i agree with your using over the weekend, but i have been there before and i remember none of us are perfect. Stay safe. Keep posting. So good that your going to quit. I see from all the posts you have gotten already that you have been given lots of support. right on.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Robby~
I was mostly poking fun at myself (giving myself the weekend)---I have a very dry sense of humor. Of course, it is never good to prolong addiction. Right now, I am frightened. I have relapsed before, but I never had such bad physiological symptoms while drinking. Can't imagine the detox!!! I think that the fear is fueling a denial process, as irrational as that is.

Also, contrary to conventional AA advice, I have always had something new to move into while getting sober and that has really helped me--whether it be school, a new job, a new living environment, etc. It has given me a sense of meaning and purpose. This time, it is just me staring at me in the mirror. Perhaps this is just a lesson in peeling away the layers that hide the "true self". Who knows?