Notices

coming back... hi everyone!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coming back... hi everyone!

Hello, I am an alcoholic and a drug addict and i am coming back to recovery and the program after about seven years. my substances of choice were alcohol, clonazepam and cocaine. i used this mixture virtually dailly for quite some time and have decided that it is time for me to become clean and sober once again. I have been clean and sober since the 11th of may and i am interested in maintaining my sobriety.

i have had extensive contact with AA and NA in the past, and i plan on attending my first AA since my teenage years this monday. As a teenager, i was very badly addicted to crystal meth, and my symptoms were quite acute. I was a typical teenage meth addict, i was emaciated, covered with sores, a highschool drop-out and very troubled mentally. my life was beyond unmanageable and i checked into rehab where i was introduced to recovery and was able to clean up my act. I found the strength to finish highschool, attended community college and i am currently in my last semester of university at a highly reputed school in Vancouver, British Columbia. I will be graduating with a B.A. in English and Criminology in september.

although i was able to quit crystal meth, i substituted alcohol, pills and cocaine and continued to use. as many of you may know either from experience or from the media, crystal meth produces terrible and dramatic effects on the user, and because i had stopped using meth and i was healthy, doing well in school and going in a positive direction, i was not concerned with my drinking and drug abuse. I thought i was OK because my life looked allright on the outside. However, i am at the point where my drinking has caught up with me and i am now commited to living an abstinate life.

anyways, i am sure that my story is one that many of you will understand. who knows, maybe my story is one that many of you have lived! i would not be at all surprised! Being a member of this forum is part of the treatment goals that i have made for myself, and i look forward to meeting with others in recovery who can help me on my journey by sharing their experiences with recovery and AA/NA, because i am a little but rusty.

Cheers!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Nikitaylor. Welcome to SR. You have landed on a fabulous site that is loaded with some of the most caring, loving and devoted people in the world. We are here to help each get and stay sober as well as help on the long journey of recovery.

BTW, congrats on your sober time. That, along with your desire to get back into the mainstream show that you are willing to do what it takes.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Niki - yep been there done that sorta.....In 85 i went to aa...my drug of choice was crytal mthe...but back then you couldn't smoke it. i was a snorter. I had gotten off meth and binged on alchoho and then just started to snort a little meth.

Went to AA and later NA...struggled...ended up with 7 years in 1999. Started drinkin and was out drinking daily large amts till last July. 10.5 mos sober now.

It is a little different coming back after having some sobriety in the past....pm me any time you like.

You can get recovery in your life and keep it AGAIN!!!!! Isn't it just great to realize that?

:day4
Old 06-22-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Niki and welcome to SR.
Congrats on your sober time, great folk here for you.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hiki and Welcome,

I'm glad you are seeking help.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will always get worse, unless we stop it. There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Niki,

Welcome to our site, and welcome back to recovery

My DOC was alcohol, although I had a problem with benzos as well (they came later).

Living clean and sober is not without it's hurdles, but it's well worth it.

Stick around and keep posting.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you found us and posted...

Congratulations on your new beginning
....Welcome!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great site to include in your commitment to recovery!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Niki -
that's an amazing story - look where you were and how far you've come.....good for you. I hope you continue down the path you're on. You have come so far and with what you're doing now?...I have no doubt that you will do well in whatever career you choose to be in. I also think your story is so motivational - you would be able to help so many people, if only on this site.
I know I love hearing stories like yours, about how strong we can be, and that recovery IS an option, no matter how bad some days get. (so keep posting!!!!)