Notices

New and Overwhelmed

Old 06-21-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Overwhelmed

Hi everyone, I am Shawn and I'm an alcoholic. I've had long periods of sobriety over the past 8 years, but just went through about a year and a half where I was a mess.

A couple of years about I did outpatient, which worked great because it was really well structured. I didn't do the AA thing when I was finished and ended up in the same rut.

So I've been going to AA for a month - just a meeting a week. I had a drinking slip last week.

So to my question, when I'm just getting started in AA, I meet all these people who have a lot of sobriety and I don't even know where to start in the meetings. Do I just speak up and spill my guts. Do I try to make friends with these people I don't even know.

In early sobriety there are a lot of insecurities and anxieties that creep in that really affect me in AA. Even this website is overwhelming.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shawn- I am glad you posted on here. I am also in early sobriety in AA. You need to get a sponsor and start working the steps. My suggestion would be to start attending several meetings a week. Find ones that you like and keep going back there. You will get to know people and they can start sharing with you the things you need to be doing.

I don't know about the AA meetings where you are, but most of the meetings I attend, a some point in the meeting they ask anyone available to be a sponsor to raise their hand. Go up and introduce yourself to one of these people and tell them that you need some direction.

Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking. Stick with it!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Shawn. Welcome. Everyone here is so supportive. Glad you're here.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shawn,

Welcome!

I think it's normal to be nervous about early recovery and what it involves. I'm not an AA person, so can't give you any advice there, but I do think you should do whatever it takes for you to stay sober.

And, if you have any questions about the website, just give me a PM. I'm always around.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hang around here Shawn, its a good place to be.

Keep posting, you'll get less overwhelmed and more confident with each positive response you get.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey shawn,

just take ur time...don't expect to fix this in a day or two, it's a life-long journey,
Old 06-21-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Shawn - Welcome to SR - you will find a lot of support here - just take it easy and look around -we are here to help one another! Jomey
Old 06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...
It's good to see a new member
striving for a healthy sober life.

Yes...we do recover and so can you!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Tooners

Hi Shawn,
I am new to this board, too, but I have been a member of AA for just under 12 years. I remember what it was like to be new to the meetings, and I remember feeling overwhelmed and confused as to what was going on and what I was supposed to do. I would recommend that you go to more than one meeting a week. I know it's hard to do, but I would introduce yourself to some people. As you get to know some people, you will become more comfortable sitting in the meetings and sharing in the meetings. What worked best for me was getting a sponsor who had worked the 12 steps and could take me through them. Today I can get up and feel comfortable (for the most part) sharing in front of a room of 200, when I couldn't even open my mouth in front of 2 in the beginning without massive anxiety. If you don't like a meeting after a few visits, then try another location. AA is full of really good people who are more than willing to help you navigate your way through early sobriety.