Notices

Hey everyone... New kid on the block here.. :)

Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Hey everyone... New kid on the block here.. :)

Well hello everyone...! Just wanted to formally say hi and introduce myself since I might be here for a while! That and I really need to get it off my chest that I too, have a problem and need some help. My name is Ryan and, well, I'm having quite the battle with alcohol... I'm 31 and I have drank almost every day for at least 8 years now... I can't take it anymore! I have made every excuse in the book to not stop drinking, but the time has come to stop making excuses. I really want my life back!

I'm mostly here reading others posts and getting a feel for what others are going through. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one I know that has a problem with daily drinking, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone. I just stopped drinking yesterday and it's really, really tough already. I want to run out right now and buy a 12 pack of beer, but I know that I'll just feel even worse than I do right now if I do that. My problem with quitting is that I have built every thing I love in life around drinking. Fishing, The Beach, Bars, Cookouts, Jaguar Football Games, Everything! I imagine doing all of those things without drinking and I just can't picture it. I feel like I would simply not have a good time anymore and that I would be constantly anxious. Why can't I take it or leave it like so many people in this world? Socially drink at a party or at the occasional football game on the weekend?! I hate it. Maybe here I will find the answers I need. And maybe I can help others as well. We will see... But anyway I am Ryan from Jacksonville, Florida... Nice to meet everyone...

-Ryan
Old 06-17-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ryan,

Welcome. I am also very much into fishing, the beach, Colts football Cookouts, etc. And I do not drink anymore and and love these things as much as ever. (You may notice I left bars off my list).

Trust me, you can do it. What are your plans for maintaining sobriety?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! you will get lots of support here. :ghug3
Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hi, Ryan...welcome to SR! (((HUGS)))

You can still do all those things you listed (except for going to bars) while sober. Believe it or not, you'll have more fun, too! Not to even mention the money you'll save!

Glad you're here. If you haven't already, you might want to read the stickies at the top of the forum. They contain a wealth of information.

Once again, welcome to SR!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Ryan,

Welcome. I am also very much into fishing, the beach, Colts football Cookouts, etc. And I do not drink anymore and and love these things as much as ever. (You may notice I left bars off my list).

Trust me, you can do it. What are your plans for maintaining sobriety?

I'm not too sure yet... One thing I have done in the last month or so was to pretty much cut ties with all the people in my life that I used to drink with. I've actually fell off the radar and most people don't know where I have gone to. I'm not sure if that is part of my plan subconciously, or if I'm just being a recluse. But I know I can't go out with them anymore without temptation taking over. My first step I guess is to try and find something to replace it. I have done alot of research on different meds that can help with withdrawls, so I'm going to see a doctor Friday to discuss some options. But the biggest challenge I guess will be finding something to replace the time that I used to spend drinking and hanging out. I love shooting pool, but I can't walk into a bar or pool hall without wanting to drink, I know it. And football games are no good because you can't walk ten feet without someone bumping into you and spilling their beer all our you. At least it's not football season... Fishing is probably going to be ok because you don't have to be around party people if you don't want to. And if they come near your area, you just move. As for the beach, I'm sure if I'm active playing football or throwing the frisbee and working up a sweat, I won't be so inclined to want to drink... I don't know, it's only been one day so I'm just throwing around ideas in my head. But thanx for saying hello and letting me know that life can be entertaining after quitting. I think back to before I drank and I was fine, life was fun... I wonder if it can be that way again...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sct

Welcome Ryan, enjoy looking around
Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan,

Welcome!

You can enjoy life without alcohol. And you will be able to remember it all too.

Glad you are here and hope you stick around.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome!! The past month or so I haven't wanted to talk to anyone, including those close to me. Now I feel like I just woke up from a long nap. It's refreshing! This place is wonderful already. Can't wait to start enjoying my new life after the inital nagging feeling of wanting a drink resides. I just wish I would have started it sooner in my life.

One more question to everyone... Was it really tough the first few days for you guys, and are some of you to the point that it doesn't bother you anymore? Thanks in advance, take care...

-Ryan
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I won't lie...it was really rough the first few weeks.....I now have 10 mths and it isn't a moment to moment issue....drinking thoughts come up but then fade fairly quickly.

so glad to see you here!:ghug
Old 06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Ryan,

I;ve been coming here for a few months now. I just opened my fridge and counted 17 left over beers from father day/Lakers game, and tonight is game 6. Boy a beer sounds great. This is only day 2 for me, and I thought I was going to give in, but I drank some apple juice, and I found your post. You saved me brotha! I thank you, and welcome. The people here are amazing! You'll see that on your own. I feel very similar to you, baseball games without a beer?!?! BBQ's, no Beer?!?! This summer on the lake with 2 jet skis and a brand new boat, no Beer?!?! One day at a time, and I'm reading the books and posts. Can't get myself to go to a meeting yet....... But I'm trying. Thanks, and Welcome once again!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan! Im so glad to hear all your positive ideas and desire to stay sober, that is great! I have also been drinking everyday for the last 8 yrs or so, and i know it is difficult facing a life without booze, but it is possible! Im facing my first summer of camping without booze, eeek! lol. Just let me say, if you find it too difficult to quit on your own, please give AA a chance, it can really help. Welcome to SR.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first 5 days were hell for me, but then again I drank a fifth of whiskey a day at a minimum. There is a sticky about what to expect when quitting that you should read.

Ad today, honestly, I have no desire to drink at all. In fact the idea makes me sick.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Originally Posted by Oddman View Post
Welcome Ryan,

I;ve been coming here for a few months now. I just opened my fridge and counted 17 left over beers from father day/Lakers game, and tonight is game 6. Boy a beer sounds great. This is only day 2 for me, and I thought I was going to give in, but I drank some apple juice, and I found your post. You saved me brotha! I thank you, and welcome. The people here are amazing! You'll see that on your own. I feel very similar to you, baseball games without a beer?!?! BBQ's, no Beer?!?! This summer on the lake with 2 jet skis and a brand new boat, no Beer?!?! One day at a time, and I'm reading the books and posts. Can't get myself to go to a meeting yet....... But I'm trying. Thanks, and Welcome once again!
Haha you understand me bro...! Gotta find a way to re-introduce all of my hobbies without beer...?! Yikes! We can do it though I'm sure...! Glad I helped you for tonight man... I'm heading downstairs to watch the game too... I went out and bought some steak and shrimp to give me & my roomie something to grill while it's on, and mostly to give me something else to think about while watching the game... Does anyone have any ideas on something to trade in place of the beer that I'm used to sipping on every night...? IE, I've never drank coffee but I'm the type of person that needs to have a drink in hand, so I've considered trying it... I'm not a big fan of the taste though... And too much water won't help, tea ehh, not so much.... Soda, no thanx... Any cool drinks out there that you guys know of to maybe replace beer and make me feel like I'm sipping on something good...?! Just throwing thoughts around again... Thanx guys!

-Ryan
Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
Hi Ryan! Im so glad to hear all your positive ideas and desire to stay sober, that is great! I have also been drinking everyday for the last 8 yrs or so, and i know it is difficult facing a life without booze, but it is possible! Im facing my first summer of camping without booze, eeek! lol. Just let me say, if you find it too difficult to quit on your own, please give AA a chance, it can really help. Welcome to SR.
Can you give me a couple of details on AA? I've read 50+ pages on the internet about it... But I mean, what's it really like from your perspective if you've ever been. I have considered it, hell, I am considering everything at this point!!! But I don't want to be the oddman out of the group, me the surfer beach guy with a bunch of downtown homeless people is all I can picture... Oddman, no pun intended BTW! Anyways, what have your experiences been like...?! What should I expect if I go...?

-Ryan
Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ryan, one thing for shure, ya aint alone around this joint!

welcome!

ryan
Why can't I take it or leave it like so many people in this world?
perhaps your a alcoholic, i cant decide that, only you can...

i can share my experience tho...

i know, i cant drink like a gentlemen! (mild'y put)

good wishes...

rz
Old 06-17-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

there was actually a post a few months ago on the topic what to drink instead of beer. Some suggestions were like seltzer with cranberry, lots of teas, and fizzy foo foo drinks. I don't know what I'll have. I do like soda and coffee, but not so much at night. I'm gonna try water in a big ol nalgene bottle. Go lakers!!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
The first 5 days were hell for me, but then again I drank a fifth of whiskey a day at a minimum. There is a sticky about what to expect when quitting that you should read.

Ad today, honestly, I have no desire to drink at all. In fact the idea makes me sick.
I'm getting to, no I've hit, the point where it makes me sick to think how much money, relationships, jobs, that I've wasted on drinking! Yet every time I try to just quit, I can't. After work my mind says, "Dude, It's ok, we can just try tomorrow, let's drink today, it's been a long day..." But in the morning when I wake up, my mind says, "What the hell man, this sucks! We MUST stop today!!!" It's amazing how strong you urge for a drink after you've already decided how much you want to dump it. Pretty powerful stuff... It feels good talking about this to you guys though, sigh, what a relief. Been holding this in for a long time now!

-Ryan
Old 06-17-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
ryan, one thing for shure, ya aint alone around this joint!

welcome!

ryanperhaps your a alcoholic, i cant decide that, only you can...

i can share my experience tho...

i know, i cant drink like a gentlemen! (mild'y put)

good wishes...

rz
Thank you buddy... And yes, I have decided I am definitely an Alcoholic. And I'm cool with that label and telling people now. Just as long as I can soon say that I am a former Alcoholic!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

..: Hi Ryan...
I too am a sober alcoholic.

Here is a link about AA meetings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

In early recovery...I lived in D.C.
I found a meeting full of other singles
and we had a sober blast.

As a group...we did all sorts of things
outside of meetings. Concerts...Brunch....
Sporting Events...Hikes....Museums...Dances

There is a quote from the AA book
"we are not a glum lot" ....

Please keep in focus..the best is yet to be.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

And here is the link about withrawing from alcohol
Glitz mentioned....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please note that not a one of us had the exact same
smptoms or experiences. There are too many variables
to know for certain how anyone reacts to de toxing.

Good to know you are planning to check with your doctor...
You can also go to an ER if you get concerned.