Notices

Hey everyone... New kid on the block here.. :)

Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Here is my favorite link on what to expect at your first AA meeting.

Your First AA Meeting

Last edited by Taking5; 06-17-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Ryan I'm Lisa and I'm 36 and I also had my life revolving
around Alcohol I like going to the Beach,cook outs,Clubs,
and been around people who all they did was drink

and I'm not going to lie it was hard at first putting the foot work
but around new years i made my resolution to live life on life terms
I also tough that I couldn't have fun any more with out Drinking
But with some good determination and a good support Program
I was on my way now I have 5-months clean and trust me
I battle every day the desire to Drink

But then I think about the misery that it bran me and
then Run to make a A/A meeting and the desire is lifted up
Old 06-17-2008, 11:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

heya Ryan,

welcome to the forum. Just keep doing the things you love, but now without alcohol. Maybe you won't like them anymore, that's okay, just find other stuff you enjoy doing.

Don't expect this to be over in one day, take your time.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sobergirl71607

Hey Ryan: My name is Ashley, I live south of you. Yes you will get your life back after drinking and pretty soon you will start doing stuff you weren't able to do while drinking...I've been sober 11 months and although life happens, everything is soooo much better when I don't feel like I need to drink to have fun. AA is awesome you should definitely try it out...they say go to at least seven or ten different meeting to see if it's for you. I personally love it! All my friends are now recovering alcoholics. I thought the same thing about the homeless and when I pulled up to my first meeting there were BMW's and Mercedes parked there and I thought I was in the wrong place! Try it out, you'll see! Hang in there, I'll be rootin for ya! Ashley:ghug3
Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What Up Ryan!! Welcome here! I have a similar situation, Loved drinking at any event, and let me tell you what, being a Minnesota sports fan, there are a billion excuses to drink !

Anyway, I'm new too, This site and these forums really help. I have a pontoon boat party this weekend, It will be a good test. I'll let you know how it goes...
Welcome!

Heavy
Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hey Ryan welcome to SR! My name is Martin and I am an alcoholic.

Where do I begin???? Well seeing a doctor is an excellent idea, mine sent me to medical detox, whole lot better then gambling with my life dying from detoxing at home.

AA??? Well let me start with what I thought AA was..... I thought it was a bunch of old guys crying the blues, drinking coffee, talkiing about the old days when they could hold thier liquor and wishing they could have it back! Did I mention I also thought they were a scruffly looking bunch of losers?

Well in AA I have found people from every walk of life in the world, the old, the young (15), every race, every religion including athiest and agnostics, rich and poor, male and female. I was shocked when I went to my first meeting, I was convinced I was in the wrong place, where the heck were the miserable old men? These people were laughing, smiling, joking around, talking, they looked like any one you may see shopping in the mall!!!

Check out that link Dgillz posted, it is spot on for my area and every where else I have ever attended AA, after you read that call up your local AA hotline and ask about a newcomers meeting to start with, go 15 -20 minutes early and be prepared to stay a little bit after the meeting just to talk.

AA meetings are like churches, all of them have thier own personalities, so when you go to your first one get a "Where and When" this is a list of all of the meetings in your are and when they happen. Use it as a checklist, if you like the meeting, give it a check, if you hated it, then stratch it off to where you can go to a different the following week.

Find your self a core group of meetings you like and keep going back to them. Listen to what is being shared and listen for similarities, not differences, we are all individuals, but we share a common problem and in AA many find a common solution to that problem.

You will hear folks in AA that drank far more then you and sank deeper then many thought possible and recovered, this does not mean that you are not ready enough to get sober, you will also hear people who have drank far less then you, this does not mean that they are not alcoholics, it simply means thier bottom was higher then others.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Stone Temple

I try and not to think about future events and what it will be like not drinking. You won't know until you get there.

Thae it one day at a time - Welcome!!