Notices

What helped me stay sober in the first months of sobriety

Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

self-acceptence helped me through these first few weeks...
Old 06-17-2008, 04:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me it was meetings, meetings, and more meetings. I did all kinds of meetings. Step meetings, mens meetings... anything to keep me out of the bar. Sometimes it was like a drama unfolding in front of me. I would listen to people and the challenges they were facing and would come back the next day to find out what happenend next. I never spoke. Just listened. It helped. I'm sober 12 years now. Life is good. Great thread.
Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you all for sharing in this thread. Reading all the responses is giving me hope that I can beat this.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The second time i sobered up through going to treatment....my physical health was really bad. They told me I wanted to be sober, I just didn't think I could be sober. What got me and kept me sober was staying in the now...i call it mindfulness...really paying attention to what was going on RIGHT NOW...stay where your hands are...I was terrified, but there was way too much drama going on in my life to think beyond the moment.

The first moment of total lack of self I had was when the woman sitting on the balcony with me had a sesiure and i was the only one there. NOTHING entered my brain except the immediate needs of my friend. I had never seen a seizer...just heard about them. For the next few minites till help arrived I was totally in the moment .... I'm sorry she had the sezier, but it was one of the most wonderful moments of my life as i expereinced total connection with the moment.

So helping others and seeing myself as strong and capable has really helped during the first months of sobriety.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

what kept me sober really early in sobriety (1st 90 days or so) was my anger. i was SO angry at everyone around me that could drink. i used that as fuel to make it to meetings, work with a sponsor, etc. etc. as my spirituality and faith grew, my anger dissipated. pretty awesome.

these days, i go to meetingsmeetingsmeetings. i do service work, i sponsor women (who sponsor women! crazy!), i work with my sponsor, i make sure and play every day, i fellowship like it's going out of style, i live LIFE. on life's terms, of course.

good times!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
I remember the last day I drank as if it were yesterday.....I remember how I felt, guilty, ashamed, broken, helpless, hopeless and so sick my nose would bleed if I sneezed...that is one of my strongest tools to stay sober...NEVER forget!!!!

i too remember my last drinking day as if it happened yesterday i too felt the same way and i think with out that horrible sickness i still get in my gut when i think of that day this journey would of been alot harder.
I didnt get into aa but i am slowly doing to the steps and by slowly i mean its been 2 years and im on 5, however i have overcame alot and still some things arent easy but its getting easier.