Notices

Starting Over

Old 06-12-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
getting there

Starting Over

Hi all,
I slipped on Tuesday and bought a bottle of wine. It was a totally conscious decision based on being really depressed and anxious and just wanting to feel better for a little while. I only had a couple glasses on Tuesday night (but on an empty stomach, and after giving blood/passing out in the morning - smart!), and then finished the bottle last night.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it right now. I don't really feel disappointed or mad. Obviously I'm not happy about it. I don't really feel anything. At least at the moment I don't feel like drinking so maybe I can make it through the day.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Don't beat yourself up over it. I did the same a little while back. It happens. I felt the same way you do about it...I wasn't mad at myself (my daugter was mad enough for the both of us), I was just determined to start over again. (((HUGS))) to you.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Cola))
glad you're still feeling ok - can't change it now anyways...
Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Colagirl...you showed great willpower to just drink 2 glasses...I would have slammed the bottle and went to something harder...LOL Well its just a bump in the road to recovery....Glad your not beating yourself up over it, your only human! I just got home and my truck felt like it was going to drive to the bar to watch the NBA playoffs tonight. Had to fight to stop at the store and get a froze pizza and Arizona Ice Tea....

Day
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I certainly don't believe in beating yourself up over a slip, but make sure it doesn't become a fall. You made a bad decision, the question then becomes what did you learn from it? You say you were depressed and anxious....drinking NEVER helps this condition. You need to map out a plan for handling stress because lets face facts life can be stressful.

You state..."At least at the moment I don't feel like drinking so maybe I can make it through the day."

Just my opinion but you need to restate that....Regardless if I "feel" like drinking I will stay sober this day.

You don't have to start over ever again! You can do this...one day at a time...one moment at a time if you have too!

I agree with suki...become determined.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry about your slip... I have personally been thinking about a bottle of wine all day. Your share helps me to remember why I am going to pass on it. (Hopefully) Today is a new day. What is done is done... The good thing is that you are ready to start over sober again and want to.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would say get right back up, dust yourself off and start fresh today. It takes time to learn how to deal with depression and anxiety without alcohol. Take what you can from this week and figure out what you can do better to remain sober.

Maybe seek some help in a support group too.

You can do it, keep trying!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, you sound just like me. Unfortunately, I have been drinking daily for the past 6 months after doing the same thing.... My life is falling slowly apart - I am hurting the people I love the most - I now feel all the feelings that I minimized at the beginning of my relapse - in STERIO.....

I have now progressed from wine to vodka - ---

Good Luck with that.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
getting there

Thanks everyone. I know I need to get my resolve back. I just don't have much energy or passion for anything right now. I'm hoping I can snap out of it soon and get my attitude where it needs to be.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe read some of the stories of recovery, or some of the stickies at the top of the Newcomers and Alcoholism sections might strengthen your resolve. Why not go back to your first post and remind yourself why you decided to get sober? Recovery is a huge commitment, but one that pays off admirably if only you take certain steps.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bugsworth's right colagirl...no sense in beating yourself up, but there are lessons to be learned here...

you have to find other ways of coping when you're stressed and anxious, and better ways of feeling 'better for a little while'...it's a skill like any other, and it needs practice...best time to start practising is next time you feel like that

good luck!
D
Old 06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Our friendship on SR began with sharing about our cats of all things as well as Recovery.

Listen to the message from this kitten. . . and everytime you look at your kitties, may you remember this.

Keep Coming Back,
Judy
Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Hi Cola...

please don't let this slip turn into a spiral. It just gets harder and harder to stop.

You can do this. Just get out. Go to a meeting to be social and hang with people who understand. Don't isolate.

PS- Is that the rock in Morro Bay? I've been there.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I just shared this bit of information on another thread
and perhaps it needs to be added here....

The American Center for Disease Control is the source
they state....on drinking wine or liquor or beer....

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.