Notices

I'm new and here's my first story...

Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
Hello Friends,

I am a 40 year old photographer from Minnesota. A couple of years ago I had Gastric Bypass surgery. I used to drink alcohol socially on the weekends. After the surgery my body does not process alcohol, sugar, calories etc. the same way as a normal system. (That's the bypass part).
Anyway, If I drink It affects me right away. I thought I could handle this until the other day. I do not seem to have an off switch. I had traveled out of state to do a photo shoot. I got stuck overnight at an airport, because the flight was canceled, The flight in the morning was also delayed. I finally made it home and went in to work. Needless to say i was also exhausted. When I left work I decided that I should have a cocktail when I got home. I bought a bottle of Crown Royal. To make a long story short, I started drinking it. My wife took the kids for a walk, and all I remember is waking up at about 4:00 A.M. in my room. My wife was furious (With good reason). I am very dissappointed in myself, but I really had no control once I had that first drink..
Any suggestions or support would be greatly appreciated. I am determined to never drink again, but I know this is easier said than done..

HeavyJ.
You should do some research on bypass surgery and drinking. A lot of times people give up one addiction for another. I have read on more then one occassion that people who have this surgery could no longer eat their emotions and feelings away and then turned to alcohol and this extremly dangerous. Please seek help and speak to your bypass doctor asap. Good luck to you. Be healthy.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Outpatient Information

Originally Posted by tennis71 View Post
Welcome, this is a great place for support and information.

Given the medical history and the fact that you blacked out, I would suggest seeing a Dr. ASAP.

Then give some thought into how you want to get and remain sober. You likely don't know yet but the forums and feedback you receive here should give you some powerful insight into what works. For me, I am doing outpatient treatment, working the AA program, utilizing this site and most importantly, not drinking (that helps).

I hope to read more and thanks for your post!
My husband is starting an outpatient program are you able to give me some information about this program. I am so excited and i hope there is help in the center for me as well, such as meeting, etc. Congratulations to you.