Notices

Day 14

Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
getting there

Unhappy Day 14

I'm really proud I've made it this far, and I don't have any plans to quit now.

BUT, I feel like these last two weeks I've been overreacting to everything, obsessively stressing about things, and totally depressed. I can't seem to get myself out of this funk no matter what I do. I feel like I can't handle my life; I'm so anxious about what might happen that I won't be able to deal with.

I often think about how when I was drinking things at least seemed "normal". Now I feel like my house is empty and bleak; I usually have a pit in my stomach when I pull in the driveway because I feel like depression and stagnation are all that await me. I look forward to the work week starting because it at least gives me a place to go and a purpose for the day.

I'm not saying a drink would help any of this in the long run, but sometimes it is hard to see the point of being sober.

Sorry for the depressing post...
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its ok. I am no chemistry major so I can't tell you what is happening in your body atm, but I feel the same way when I stop (btw, day one for me now). Alcohol seemed to calm me down and make time pass by quicker. I didn't need anyone around to make me feel happy or companionship. It was me and my beer and I was good. But one thing that I do know from quitting in the past for 1-2 weeks is that those days do come and fighting through them with all you have is worth every penny. I never want to go back. I choose NOT to. My life would be sooo much better if I was not dependent on alcohol. One thing that helped me fight the urge was to stay productive and drink water. Water seemed to suppress the alcohol fit. Anyhow, awsome accomplishment! I am in the same boat as you are and will be taking the same journey two weeks from now. I never want to go back and will do whatever its takes to just say no. Your mind is a very powerful tool that can destroy your body. One of the things they teach you in the Navy Seal program is to separate your mind from your body. Such as staying awake 24/7 for 5.5 days with only 4 hours of rest and never stop moving. They learn that your body is capable of great things if you tell your mind "NO". The pride and joy of disciplining your mind is a very rewarding thing. Anyhow, good luck and best wishes to you. Two weeks is awsome!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
getting there

I really like your Navy Seal insight. I absolutely allow my mind to overtake my body to an extreme and it ends up destroying my ability to be happy and competent. I really need to work on that.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there, and great job on the 14 days! The first couple of weeks were really tough for me too. Boring, long, daily headaches (on my way home from work when I would normally be looking forward to cracking a beer) and massive sugar cravings. Hang in there, your body will level out soon!
Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They had a good video on youtube about the Navy Seal program. It is called:

SEALs BUD/s Training, 3 of 4.

You can look around you every day and see people who are confident and self-disiplined and say to yourself: "How do they do it?". Even though they have problems at home, over the course of lifes struggles, good friends, being in positive evironments, and having heart... I believe they have molded their life into being a stronger person. Everyone has problems. Drinking is one of mine. BUT one thing that I have learned about myself is that EXCUSES kill. Never try to convince yourself to do something you shouldn't. Ex: you just had a big pay raise at work and try to make an excuse for yourself to enjoy the night drinking a little even though you quit. Your mind starts to play games when one side says no and the other side says...its ok. This is where strong disipline and knowing your limits come into play. Hope you like the video. Just remember, when you feel down...life could be A LOT worse then what it is now. Enjoy your life and thank God for everything you DO have :P

Last edited by mar122999; 06-08-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think that is the exact video on youtube, but they have plenty more. If you have time, check out this season. It's very good.

SOCOM Hell Week Season 2, Ep. 4 part 1
Old 06-08-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you drank like me, drinking accompanied everything you did, and you were more likely than not comfortably numb a good percentage of the time.

Remove the crutch and we have to learn to walk again, to live again 'unaided'....it's a fundamental change - many fall at this first hurdle - including me for many years...

it takes a little longer than 2 weeks, but it is worth it

D
Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you drank like me, drinking accompanied everything you did, and you were more likely than not comfortably numb a good percentage of the time.

Remove the crutch and we have to learn to walk again, to live again 'unaided'....it's a fundamental change - many fall at this first hurdle - including me for many years...

it takes a little longer than 2 weeks, but it is worth it

D
Right on Dee... you just described me.... 11:00pm here 1 hour from 1 week and the crutch is gone, need to learn how to walk!

ColaGirl...I'm really proud you, 14 days WOW you go Girl!!!!

Last edited by ThisIsTheDay; 06-08-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Add
Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't believe in the navy seals, there are different ways then completely break your own spririt and body to overcome problems.They are in the military, we're not. We don't have a drill sergant yelling and hitting us all the time.

try love and compassion for yourself, cause love will clear all demons in ur mind.

I will throw in a youtube link myself

YouTube - BuddhistSocietyWA's Channel

don't think about the religion, think about what this man has to say!

take care,
Old 06-09-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I choose to live

keep goin' ....Good luck from Stefanie :ghug3

me and my bf are on day 16
Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Cola, this is an awesome post. You've really identified how you're feeling (oddly enough, you've described my own feelings). I especially relate to "what's the point in staying sober". But we both know the answers to that, don't we? I'm pretty sure it will get easier and better. I had a glimpse of it before I relapsed and I WANT that feeling again. You'll get there soon, I promise.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am sooo pleased I committed to AA in early recovery.

By around 2 months I consider I was back in
physical and mental balance.

Well Done on your 14 days...
Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on 15 days colagirl, I know exactly what you are talking about, I like Carol am so thankful I did not try to stay sober on my own, if I had simply left work and come home when I first quit I would not have lasted 2 days after I left detox!!!

Like Carol I went to AA every evening at first when I first got out of detox. Rooms full of people who knew exactly what I was going through at that time because they had been through that hell them selfs! They were there for me, they shared with me how they had stayed sober in their early days of sobriety. They also gave me hope that I could stay sober and be happy like them. These people laughed and smiled, they gave me thier phone numbers to call when I needed someone to talk to.

The folks in AA loved me until I learned to love myself, they had a solution to thier drinking problem that was given to them freely and they freely shared the solution that worked for them with me.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
getting there

Thanks everybody. I think part of my problem is I chose to quit in the middle of a stressful situation. Everything seems magnified, I don't have my crutch to lean on, and I don't know how to make myself snap out of it.

I really need to learn how to not let stress overtake my whole life. In general I have an obsessive personality and overthink things, which makes life hard sometimes.