Notices

What Exactly Defines Medical Advice?

Old 06-08-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What Exactly Defines Medical Advice?

I have already read all of the disclaimers posted on the site and information threads etc., but I still have a few questions and concerns regarding medical adivce.

What exactly defines medical advice? I know some people (including myself) have asked for opinions about certain things that are going on (withdrawals, depression etc.)... and some people may say... well, you need to see a doctor.. or a counselor.. etc. Is that asking for medical advice?

So, is this asking for medical advice?

For example, if someone is explaining their physical state during withdrawal (fatigue and depression etc.), and they ask if anyone else experienced particular sysmptoms or moods during this time... is that really asking for medical advice? Sometimes I just want to know if othes have eperienced the same things in regards to experiences... not necessarily asking people to tell me what a doctor would... most of the time people will give advice or share stories... then say "well, you should still see a doctor etc. etc." Is that OK?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
If you see something that you think is medical advice hit the report a post button and we'll review it.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

IMO, medical advice would be like advising someone to take a certain medication, or a particular dosage of medication. Asking about symptoms isn't asking for medical advice, in my opinion. When someone asks about that, I generally give them the link to various stickie posts on the forums.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I edited my post as Anna puts it much better below Thanks Anna.

For me fronting up to the local doctor and telling it like it was helped me heal on all levels.

For anything Food or Fun related I can help you heaps

Kevin
Old 06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

One thing that comes to my mind is iif someone new comes onboard and posts about symptoms he is having with regard to withdrawls, and if this is 'normal'. We can't answer a question like that because we are not drs and every person is different. So, if you post and say that you are feeling tired and has anyone else felt that way, it's probably general enough. But, if you say you're feeling tired and is that okay, that's a little different because you are asking for others opinions of how you are feeling. Another example might be vitamins. I think it's okay to say I take a multivitamin and B vitamin, but if I start to get specific about each vitamin and mineral and the amount I take, I could influence someone, who might have a medical problem and need a drs help.

We need to be very careful to not influence someone to 'not' see a dr, when they really should.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Medical advice is giving a diagnosis or prescribing a treatment for a medical or psychiatric condition.

General information is ok as long as it will not impose a risk to our guests if they copy methods for detox without medical supervision.