Notices

You guys, I really, really want to drink right now

Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
getting there

You guys, I really, really want to drink right now

I've been pretty stressed out since I stopped drinking 11 days ago, and I think dealing with the stress without drinking has finally caught up to me. I really just want a night where I don't have to worry about ANYTHING. I could really use your insights right now. I don't want to go through this all over again.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Stay here with us and keep reading the posts. Play the tape through. How will you feel tomorrow if you drink tonight? Rotten, right? Both mentally and physically, right? Don't throw away the 11 days of sobriety. You can do this. Even if you have to just go to bed, at least you will get through the night without drinking, and you'll feel so proud of yourself tomorrow. Hang in there...it'll get better. I promise!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah...watch movies and eat popcorn with Jeeplady! What an offer! She's never offered to eat popcorn with me! Harumph. LOL
Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It helps me to just focus on my breathing for a while...not my mind...just to keep refocusing on my breathing.

HUGS
Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay strong. I have never made it that long before! I am anxious to get there. Keep going! You are doing great! Push the thoughts out of your head that say it is no big deal to haver a drink now, or, I'll only have 2, that is what I said at noon last Tues. which turned into 6 and embarrassing myself and hurting my son's feelings. You can do it. Paint your toenails! that is what I am going to do right now.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobriety I timed my cravings.

They never lasted more than 7 minutes.
I took action....
Went for a walk...Took a bubble bath...Called someone
Drank cold water...Danced around the room...Ate hard candy

Try to distract your thoughts and take action.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get that way about this time every night. I just eat a big salad and now some hard candy the sugar takes the edge off! Also in my time zone Last Comic standing is coming on LOL!!!!:bounce
Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Extra Theater Butter!! YUMMM!!!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
getting there

Wow you guys, I'm humbled by the quick and numerous responses! Thank you so much. I'm just trying to focus on what I have to get done tonight and trying not to let my mind wander back to the stressful thoughts that make me want to drink.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Colagirl

I drank for years to avoid stress and to just 'feel nothing'...didn't learn, didn't grow for 15 years.

I've learnt a lot in these past 14 months.
I've grown much nearer to the person I always wanted to be.

You can too

D
Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

I had many tough evenings in the early part of my 5 1/2 months sober. And not once did I wake up the next day thinking "man, I should have got hammered last night." Instead it is always humble gratitude, a sense of accomplishment, more at peace. I'd much rather have that.

This too shall pass.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I recently relapsed and then drank for several days. Now I have to go thru the withdrawal misery in order to get sober again. YOu don't want to go thru the 'day after' crap. PLease don't pick up that first drink. I did and now I'm so unhappy with myself.

Please keep your sober time intact - don't interrupt it with drinking. YOu can do this.:ghug3
Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
getting there

Thanks again everyone. I went out and ran an errand; had a random crying fit in the car, but managed to drive past the convenience store instead of stopping there to buy a bottle of wine. Now I really want to take a hot shower and get ready for bed. What a rough night! I hope it gets better soon.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you, sweetie! Each time we get through times like this, we get better at it and it does get eaiser. Sweet dreams!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You go Girl!!! My night was the same, but the urge has pasted and winding down now. Thank God!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm glad you drove past that store! I know that took courage.

Sounds like you are so busy that you aren't taking time out for you. I know when I first got clean and sober, I tried to clean my house from top to bottom, not have any laundry build up, get to two or three meetings a day . . . I never took any time to relax. It's like I was trying to make up for lost time.

I know you are going through a lot right now with the kitties, not knowing exactly what is going on. This can be pretty stressful. Just remember that you can only do so much, no matter how much we want to wear a big S on our chest, we aren't Superwoman!

You did a good job of coming on here and sharing your craving.

One of my favorite sayings is

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

It has gotten me through many rough times.

Now, go to bed, get a goodnights sleep and wake up feeling refreshed, rested and Blessed. Sure beats waking up hungover, sick and feeling guilty.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Cola. I'm sending you a box of BB's. When your next craving hits, I want you to try stacking a few. Worked for me. Or try painting little faces on them. You can make an entire BB army, take a picture of it and then use it for your avatar.

And hey. Who has the popcorn popper??? Did someone also mention butter. YUMMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

stress!... ppfftt!

we make our own stress, or allow others or things to make it...

thats what we learn over time to change...

good wishes C

and hows today for you?

rz
Old 06-06-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

colagirl what has helped me more then I ever imagined was sober alcoholics!!! I hook up with a bunch of them 3-4 times a week, I also have a bunch of their phone numbers and we call each other even when it is not about wanting a drink.

Congrats on day 12 BTW!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What is helping me right now is going thru withdrawals again - after I swore I'd never go thru them again. I'm remembering, and living thru, the horror of withdrawal and can only ask God to give me the strength to get thru this. The feeling like crap is a deterrant to not pick up again, as I'll just have to go thru this hell all over again. And I've been thru it too many times already.

Just remember how awful it is for the first few days of not drinking and that may be enough to keep you from picking up that first drink.:praying