SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   1 Week Today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/151337-1-week-today.html)

OMAR52908 06-05-2008 06:30 PM

1 Week Today

Hi Everyone:
I'm new to SoberRecovery, and have been sober 1 week today...the longest week of my life. The not drinking isn't as bad as the not sleeping and utter boredom.

OMAR

ThisIsTheDay 06-05-2008 06:35 PM

Welcome OMAR, That's Great.....I am only on day4.... I am with you on the utter boredom. I have been reading and posting, it really helps the urge to drink and past time!

suki44883 06-05-2008 06:37 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Welcome to SR!! :a122:
Are you working any kind of program, Omar? I ask because many here attend AA, not only for the support, but also for the fellowship.

CarolD 06-05-2008 06:38 PM

Glad you found us.....:wave:
Welcome to our community

OMAR52908 06-05-2008 08:01 PM

I've actually attended one SOS (Secular Organizations for Sobriety) meeting, but have been contemplating AA. I'm not quite sure about the "high power" aspect of AA.

least 06-05-2008 08:05 PM

Your Higher Power doesn't have to be God, or any religious figure. It can be the ocean, mother Nature, anything.

Congratulations on your sober time. I am crawling back to sobriety one minute at a time, but am still crawling.

:ghug2

tennis71 06-05-2008 08:53 PM

Welcome and congrats on your sober time. I am going on my longest period of sobriety myself - just over 2 months.

I am using AA and outpatient treatment and am very happy with my progress. I looked at the SOS website after I read your post and that looks interesting as well. I am just curious, what was the meeting like that you attended? Was the program appealing? I did notice that some of the concepts from the SOS web site were the same as concepts from AA such as sobriety being the number 1 priority and neither being opposed to or in competition with other methods of recovery.

If you are thinking about trying AA I would not let the higher power aspect detour you. I would suggest attending some meetings in your area, talk to some of the people and then decide if it's right for you.

No matter what, you can continue along the path of sobriety if you want to. Just make sure that you follow through with whatever method you chose. Thanks for posting.
:sun2

OMAR52908 06-05-2008 09:28 PM

Hi tennis71:
Thanks for the encouraging words. As for my SOS meeting, if was helpful but I can’t really compare it to anything since I’ve never been to an AA meeting, which I will be attending soon.

Overview, the meeting was helpful, and the people were great. However there were three things I didn’t care for. One, all addictions are grouped, and despite the fact they are all addictions, I, personally, have a hard time equating booze to food to sex to crack. Second, I think the idea of the structured steps, and SOSers are non-steppers. Lastly, the meeting had a sort of, “not that there is anything wrong with religion, but” feel to it. Since I would like to leave my deist views out of my recovery, I’m looking for a group that does just that. In this one meeting I attended religion was talked about as something not to talk about; kind of self-defeating if you ask me.

I plan to attend AA meetings, as well as other SOS meetings. I’ll let you know what I find if you’re interested.

Good luck to you.

scaredykat 06-05-2008 09:40 PM

Hi OMAR, and welcome to SR.

Congratulations on your first week. I'm glad you decided to give AA a try. Whatever you decide, stay with it. It helps having other people to talk to that you can relate too.

Barb