Notices

Books we find helpful

Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Books we find helpful

Already many good recommendations here, but I wanted to offer a few I have found helpful and invite others to share their own.

I enjoy reading biographies and autobiographies, and I have found several esp. helpful.

I already mentioned "On Writing" by Stephen King, but I will again. While mainly a book about the craft of writing, he deals very honestly and insightfully with his alcoholism. His story is inspirational in the sense that he got into recovery and has many years of not being a drunk under his belt.

I also find it useful to read of those who didn't ever stop or find recovery. Not that I take any pleasure in their plight, but I see myself so clearly in their stories, and it helps me find perspective.

I'm currently reading "Gonzo", a bio of Hunter S. Thompson (and I just heard that they've made a film based on it of the same title which is coming out the 4th in a limited way). It is an "oral" bio, consisting of quotes from people who knew him. Very interesting and also, naturally, gets into a great deal of detail on his addictions, of which alcohol was the greatest. (or worst, whatever). He is an interesting character whose work I admire greatly, but at the end of the day, he was just an alcoholic (although hardly "garden variety

Ronnie Wood's recent bio "Ronnie" is also good. He doesn't go into as much detail, but he does touch frequently upon his struggles with drinking. He's not really clear as to whether he ever quit or not, but given the excess he describes and his admission of a problem AND the fact that he is still alive, I would guess he did or at least cut WAY back.

I enjoy bios in general, but now, as I am coming to terms with my problem and approaching recovery, I find it very beneficial to read of the experiences of others in this respect. If anyone has any other recs, I would love to see them
Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'Floor Sample,' by Julia Cameron (her memoir). Also her 'Artist's Way' series, which is highly useful for dealing with creative blocks...soberly (also good advice for living in general).
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I will look for those. I think, being a "creative" person (writer, artist) myself, I find those accounts esp. helpful. Like King saying he worried so much that if he quit drinking/drugging he would not be able to write anymore, and how that is just a BS myth used as an excuse.

That really struck home with me, since I was the same, in that I could be falling down drunk but still write like crazy, and not garbage but GOOD stuff, and there is often that worry with "artistic" types, that if they stop drinking or using whatever, their talent will dry up.

Not true, but it can take a while to get back into it after a change in habits, true.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for mentioning 'On Writing' by Stephen King. Funnily enough I came across that book the day before yesterday whilst attempting to sort out a load of stuff in a 'spare' room. Its one of my sons old books. I've been wondering what to read next.

You must have the same taste as him - he's also a fan of Hunter S Thompson. I'll have to ask him if he's still got that book aswell!