Notices

Hello

Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello,

I am a noob. Today is my first day here. Today is also my attempt to quit.

I drink far too much. I smoke far too much.

I must also say that I am scared. This is a huge step.

Anyway, hello to all.

This is the second forum I have joined, I think I need all the support I can find, and I copy and pasted this into. Sorry to those who are also a member on the other forum, and are now reading this for the 2nd time.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Artoo,

Welcome!

It is scary to stop drinking and smoking too, but you can do it.

Take a look around here and make yourself comfortable.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Artoo. It's my first day also. I am scared and feeling quite anxious but I want to be sober sooooo much I am just going to have to get on with it.

Keep posting and reading other people's post they will make you realise you are not alone.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr!
You will find alot of support and everyone is really friendly.
I'm only on day 8 but feeling really good. I gave up smoking 10yrs ago and haven't looked back.
Stick with it and keep posting
:ghug
Old 06-02-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words.

I am already battling, and I haven't even left work yet. The problem is a good friend of mine, even though I told him my decision this morning, is telling me to join him for a joint and he says I can start with detox next week. Grrr.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some hard choices to make Artoo.

Stay strong!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Artoo View Post
The problem is a good friend of mine, even though I told him my decision this morning, is telling me to join him for a joint and he says I can start with detox next week. Grrr.

Hi Artoo and welcome,

I'm in the same boat. I managed to quit the weed 6 months ago but I'm still struggling with the drink. And I also have a good friend who is the opposit of supportive. He has stopped bugging me about smoking but it took me getting angry with him for him to finally get it.

Stick to your guns and take it day by day. The 1st 3 days without weed are the toughest.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Artoo, My worst time was late afternoon. I would spend the day waiting for the day to pass so I could rush home and open a bottle of wine as soon as I stepped in the door or I would meet up with a mate for something to eat and a bottle of wine or three. By 8.30pm the wine was finished and i'd be P'd off with myself cause I had lost yet another evening.
Looking back with a clear head, I've not really got much to say to my "friend" and cant really remember what we did say, prob due to the drink.
Now my evenings are sooooooooooo different!
Best wishes
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello Artoo, and welcome to SR!

I gave up tobacco cold turkey in Dec. 2004 and got clean and sober in Feb. 2005 with the help of AA. Recovery is possible if we have the desire!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words. I know the pain of quitting weed, I have done it successfully a number of times. It's the alcohol I have never successfully quit.

The tough part about weed is that I forget why I quit. It's normally about 2 months after I successfully quit. One day someone will have a joint, and having forgotten why I quit in the first place, will have just one. It doesn't take long for just one to explode.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Artoo. Welcome to SR. There are 1,000s of us here that are at various stages of sobriety and recovery. We wish you the best. Please feel free to lean on us.

I quit the cigs almost 7 years ago. (July 10) I smoked up to 4 packs a day of Marlboro menthol. Year before last, with my checkup, my Doc told me that my had lungs had cleared. It was a comforting sight seeing a clean x-ray.

YOU TOO CAN DO THIS....

Last edited by Daddio; 06-02-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Grammar check
Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How about making a list of why you want to quit? Read it each day and when you feel temptation, read it again.

You can do it Artoo. Make the decision then stick to it. It's exactly what I'm going to have to do cos I'm fed up messing up when I'm drunk.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Artoo and Homeworker!

Welcome to SR, I have found this site to be informative, friendly and helpful.

My only words of wisdom for both of you is to come up with a plan for your sobriety. You might not have one right now, but think about it, read the responses here and look into other posts. You have the opportunity to learn about our successes and failures.

I encourage you to make the most of your time here and keep coming back!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome Artoo we are glad that you found us! Keep strong -

Check out our other forums-Our Alcoholism forum could be a big help to you-
there are stickies at the top of the page that are a wealth of information!

Keep posting!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! Good job on your decision to quit. This site has helped me reach 41 days. I hope that you keep coming back.

Also... You didn't say how much you drank, but detoxing from alcohol could be dangerous. If you think that you may have withdrawal symptoms you may want to talk to a doctor.

I personally didn't have anything more than severe headaches, stomach pains and an irritable attitude. But I have heard about a lot more severe things on here. Make sure you stay safe.

:ghug
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
Old 06-02-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bella

Thumbs up

Welcome Arto.
One thing is for sure, you are not alone. I feel scared also, other recovering addicts/alcoholics suggest that feeling scared is a good thing when recovering, because I could be thinking I know everything and not feel scared at all, as I have in the past and what always happened in those times, was that I would relapse and start all over again and again and again well you get the point, right? To this day It amazes me how I got through those relapses alive and healthy. However, I am grateful!
Keep doing what you are doing and you'll keep getting what you are getting.....
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Last night went quite well. My friend came over with a joint, which I shared with him, but he left the house with my whiskey, brandy and rizlas.

The important thing is that I didn't need a drink. I think it was a lot easier after having spent time on this forum yesterday.

I also decided to make a list of why I am quitting. I haven't put pen to paper but I have a decent sized list in my head.

Here's looking forward to day 2.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had a long list of things I hated about alcohol and myself under the influence of alcohol. Problem was, I didn't get it out and re read it before I slipped two days ago. Now I'm struggling to start over and know how hard it is. We can do this together tho. It's easier to bear with all the support from the loving people here. They help me keep my sanity. They encourage me when I'm weak. They pick me up when I fall. They are true friends and I love them. I just need to work on being able to forgive and love myself. Why is that so hard??:ghug:praying
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

welcome and well done!!! Keep up the fight....we're all on the same side...and frankly we're gonna win hands down!!!
benjamin