Notices

The stress is really getting to me!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The stress is really getting to me!!!

I am so stressed out right now I feel really dizzy and about to pass out. I'm so anxious and nervous I don't know what to do with myself. Please somebody reassure me that I'll live thru today without drinking myself into that old familiar numbness. I'm on day 17 today and want to keep on keepin' on, but the stress is so great I feel like a bundle of nerves. Woke up feeling awful and can't wait til the day is over with. Have to sit thru the whole graduation ceremony and later on go to daughter's boyfriend's grad party. I feel like I'm having an emotional meltdown and feel totally incapable of handling it/living thru it. Help me please!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi sweetie,

It's gonna be ok. You have done an amazing job!! Look at the days you already have behind you! Look at how much you have helped me in the past 2 weeks...You just take care of yourself!

:ghug3
Old 06-01-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

least - i slipped yesterday honey- dont go back there, it isnt worth it.
Try not to look at the big picture- just take all the things you have to face a little at a time and tell yourself worrying.stressing about it will just make it harder, you dont want all this stress and the EXTRA worry and stress of picking up again do you? believe me it only makes things worse- id forgotten how anxious drinking makes me
Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't go....stay home.

I'm sure you missed a lot of "important" things/events when you were drinking.....I cannot think of a better excuse to miss another one than "not drinking".
Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Least)))

Take some deep breaths, sweetie. You will get through this...you've done it before.

Remember...there's nothing that drinking won't make worse.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-01-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Least,

Please do what you have to do to get through the day. Some suggestions. "Play the tape through" from a few weeks ago. Drinking will solve absolutely nothing. Go learn and make some new friends at a meeting today. Your daughter's boyfriends grad party is not something you have to go to especially when it is a threat to your sobriety.

We all have our good days & bad days in sobriety. This will pass - guaranteed. Just don't take that first drink. Keep it simple.

In my thoughts & prayers.

Don
Old 06-01-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to shift your perspective.

Being able to go to the Graduation is a gift of sobriety, it's a milestone and you are lucky enough to be invited.

You'll have a great day.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just had to run to the store for some pepto bismol to settle my stomach. Feel so dizzy I can' hardly stand up and feel too sick at my stomach to eat anything. Daughter can't find her shoes and is snapping at me like it's my fault. Am praying for strength because I don't have any right now. No, won't drink, but wish I could just sleep thru today and wake up when it's all over. I'm a wreck and don't know what to do with myself. I"m sorry to be such a whiner. I feel so awful I feel like I can't get thru this without some disaster happening.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Least. If I could slip my big ol butt thru these internet wires I'd give you a hug in person. So just pretend. :ghug3 Tell yourself that this is an occasion to celebrate with your sobriety - not an occasion to celebrate with booze. You'll have a great day knowing that your SR family is in the backseat along for the ride.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
getting there

Hi Least,
I agree - do whatever you need to do to not drink.

Something I've been trying to do when I get cravings is focus on how I'll feel the morning after (hungover + really mad at myself) instead of how I'll feel once I have a few drinks. So far this has helped.

Take care!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post

Being able to go to the Graduation is a gift of sobriety, it's a milestone and you are lucky enough to be invited.

You'll have a great day.
Least - Anna put in a great perspective. Try to relax and let any hiccups in the day roll of your shoulder. Trust me... your daughter doesn't think losing her shoes is your fault. She is a bundle of nerves too. I find that I create a lot of anxiety for myself by anticipating all the bad things and bad feelings that could happen in the day. Try to deal with the moment you are in now. When the next moment comes you will deal with it then good or bad. But there isn't anything you can do about that moment right now.... so enjoy the moment you are in.

I hope you have a beautiful day today!

:ghug3
Old 06-01-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey there girl, how's it going? I am going to assume that you went to the graduation.
I hope it went well, and know that we are all here rooting for you!!!

Honu
Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi...a little late...but...i hope it all went well....YOU deserve a good day....this day is your day as it is anyones....stay in control....be somewhat selfish....be alive...be sober....be HAPPY...you are allowed!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Least, you don't want to ever go back to where you were. No more "square ones" for us! Don't know about you, but I don't have it in me! No matter how you feel today, it will continue to get better, easier as you pass through this phase of your life. There is a brighter day waiting for you at the end of all this mess. As I've said before, sometimes you just have to white-knuckle it - this is how you grow and become strong & invincible! You know we love you, and like Daddio said, we were right there in the backseat the whole time..... Love, Joanie
Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post

You'll have a great day.

Amen...!

Good Luck Least...

And remember...we are all pulling for you...and will be here waiting for low down....

Blessings

Sherry
Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

this is what I get for living on the other side of the world...

Hope it all went well!

and Anna's spot on btw - we have to start looking at things in a better, more healthy way - the way we looked at things when we were drunk suited us then - everything was geared to taking a drink.....but we're not like that now :bounce

D
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I laid down for a bit and woke up at noon, just in time to change clothes and go over to my mom's house before taking daughter to the hs. She got ready, the rest of our family came, the weather was perfect, and the graduation went off without a hitch. I'm glad I went and enjoyed myself immensely. We did go to boyfriend's grad party afterwards and had fun there for an hour. Then I went home, fed the dogs, gave them an extra walk, and went to bed exhausted at 9 pm! Slept for 10 hours and woke up feeling better.

Thank you all for your support. It really helped! Now that it's all over and I have my vehicle again, safe to drive, I can concentrate on looking for work. Thank you for being there for me.

:ghug2:ghug3
Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

I am so proud of you! Why I do believe that someone (The Big Guy) was watching out for you. Just don't let it get around or everyone will be using Him.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yay !! Great job Least - So proud of you.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, I just breathed a huge sigh of relief, least. I'm so thrilled for you. Who would've ever thought we could have a good time celebrating without alcohol? No hangover or remorse the next day, either. One foot in front of the other, and the days will pile up - you are well on your way. You sound like a brand new person. Love, Joanie