Notices

Fasting to overcome addiction

Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fasting to overcome addiction

Has anyone every fasted to overcome addiction to alcohol? I'm looking stuff up on the net ready to quit 2moro and have been reading about fasting. Would love to hear other people's experiences. I'm looking at the Stanley Burrows method and juice fasting.x
Old 05-31-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by homeworker View Post
Has anyone every fasted to overcome addiction to alcohol? I'm looking stuff up on the net ready to quit 2moro and have been reading about fasting. Would love to hear other people's experiences. I'm looking at the Stanley Burrows method and juice fasting.x
I did it, I would Not recommend it for everyone, but "For Me" it worked miracles. BUT, I am a long time faster, have done Stanleys fast many times
so I knew it would work for me. I've used it to quit my diet pepsi addiction,
and any other craving I have wanted to stop, I use it.
It works wonders for "ME"...

Good Luck to you if you do, do it. There are some die hard forums out there like this I may suggest joining one, if you do, decide to try it. Very helpful.

:ghug3
Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

One other thing, I have no experience with alcohol detox, that was never my thing, but from what I know alcohol detox can be dangerous. I would suggest talking to a doctor.
Just a thought.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Welcome to the site Homeworker. I have no experience with fasting, so I am no help with that. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This actually sounds interesting to me. I wish you the best of luck and hope you will share how it works with us.

I only fasted by accident cause I had pancreatitis and couldn't eat or keep food down for quite some time. That's not really the same thing I don't think.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't heard of this, but I hope it works for you.

Keep posting and let us know.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a doctor, but personally I think detox is stressful enough on the body without fasting on top.
JMO.
I'd get a professional medical opinion myself

D
Old 05-31-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That's news to me....I've not heard an alcoholic
share on fasting by choice.

Lot's of us drank so much we could not eat
during our last drinking days and
expecially during the initial 4 or so days of de toxing.

What would concern me is the fact alcoholics are
often mal nurished and dehydrated anyway.

It's always wise to see your doctor before
jumping into drastic measures that may be more destructive.

Personally...I would be concerned about swings
in blood pressure and blood sugars.

JMO
Old 05-31-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Never done it but if you do, let us know your experience will ya? I've never even heard of that. So, it's interesting.

Glad you're quitting!!

- MLE
Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've fasted before - juice, stanley burrows, water - u name the fast and I've done it. I've always quit drinking when I've fasted but as soon as the need for a drink arose, the fast finished. I agree with Done With It, fasting isn't for everyone.

Whilst fasting I take psyllium husks to get fibre into my system and milk thistle to quicken the detox and also take daily coffee enemas (the coffee enemas release toxins, in my case alcohol, out of the system quickly). I've never done a fast to quit alcohol, previously I've done them to clear out my system before I got back on the booze. Think this one will be different as I will have to go for longer to quit the drink for good. Meeting sister for a run 2moro morning which will get toxins out quicker so hopefully by Tuesday I will start to feel a bit better.

Will keep you updated on how my withdrawal from drink via fasting is going.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. Just knowing that there are people out there who are either currently going thro the same or have already quit the drink and are simply posting to give encouragement, you will never know how much it means. I hope one day to be totally free of drink and be able to support others who are just starting their journey.MANY THANKS.x
Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds like too much torture, to me. Coffee enema? The only coffee I'll be having will be fresh ground, black, via my big mouth.

I like to eat too much, to give food up, too. Giving up alcohol was hard enough. Don't anyone get anywhere near my food, if you value your life!

Best wishes and luck to you! I'd be interested to hear, too, how you do.

Honu
Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day one going well. Feel positive, don't want a drink yet. Done loads of irnong, got some books ready in case I can't sleep tonight, went out for a run with my sister and generally just keeping busy. Drinking lots of juices - carrot, apple and spinach is gorgeous.Making a shopping list at moment so I can buy lots of fruit and vegetables ready for juicing 2moro. The fruit and veg is near the alcohol aisle so this will be the quickest shop I think I will do! I haven't drunk today and won't drink today. I feel good.x
Old 06-02-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never fasted deliberately, only when too sick to eat, so have no experience to share. I wish you well and agree that consulting your doctor would be a good move. Please let us know how you are doing.:ghug
Old 06-06-2008, 02:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nearly day 6 and still feeling great - keep waiting for withdrawal symptoms to appear but so far nothing! Had a problem with sleeping and even that seems to be ironing itself out. After day 3 I started getting up at my usual time no matter what time I fell asleep and it seems to be getting me into a pattern. Really wish I would have packed in sooner but hey that is life and a lesson learnt. Been getting so much done in the house etc cos got so many more hours in the day. I'm really enjoying being sober!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I fasted to help myself get clean. Fasting does not stress the body. Digestion is the most complex function of the body so fasting does take stress off the body.

But....you may develop some unpleasant "detoxification" symptoms as fasting will help the body to push out toxins so don't be surprized if you start having "flu like"symptoms. I think it would be a good idea to consult with a Dr. who practices natural medicine such as a Naturepath or a Chiropractor who knows how to monitor your symptoms and can give you good advice on how to conduct your fast.

I don't think heavy exercise is good to do while fasting. Being that you are detoxing from alcohol I think it would most likely be a good idea to not use to use fruit juices and stick with vegetable juices because of the high sugar content in fruit. It is a known fact that almost all alcoholics have a sugar imbalance which contributes greatly to cravings..
Old 06-06-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Homeworker,

When I detoxed (3 times total) I could never do any "normal" things such as some of the things you mentioned - ironing, running, keeping generally busy - for at least 4 or 5 days. I was too busy with acute alcohol withdrawal - vomiting, headaches, chills and sweats, heart arrhythmia, high blood pressure, minor convulsions, auditory hallucinations, etc.

Have you ever detoxed before and experienced withdrawal symptoms, and it is different while fasting? Or is the detox the same as your prior experience(s) only you are fasting?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes I have detoxed many times before - water, juice, Stanley Burrows etc. The only difference this time was I did more coffee enemas (they shift toxins out of the liver pretty quickly). I usually do one a day while fasting but for the first 3 days I did 2 a day.

The symptoms were no worse than when I have previously fasted. First few days of fasting are usually the worse but mine weren't too bad and I can only associate that with the extra coffee enema.

It's nearly day 7 and I still feel great. I've actually had my first proper nights sleep so I'm really pleased with that.

As for exercising while fasting - it can be done, in fact it is encouraged to shift the toxins out. Whilst yoga, pilates etc are the usual people who usually run are encouraged to still run but to cut the time, distance and pace which is what I did.

I truly, honestly believe that to withdraw from alcohol it is essential to shift the toxins out of the body as quickly as possible as it's the toxins that make us feel rubbish. I did that via fasting coupled with psyllium husk, milk thistle, enemas and gentle exercise.

However, what works for one person doesn't work for another.... it's an individual choice but the right choice for me.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As I understand it...de toxing from alcohol
usually takes 3 to 5 days.
So you are over the initial physical withdrawal now.

Good for you
Old 06-07-2008, 03:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks CarolD. I feel good, very good in fact.x