Notices

Weaning off and 12-step programs?

Old 05-30-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Weaning off and 12-step programs?

Hey all, thanks for hosting and participating in the forums.

My initial question, has anyone tried "weaning" themselves to a "manageable" point where they could actually quit without serious physical withdrawl?

To clarify, I suppose some background would help. I've been a daily drinker for about 20 years, and can obviously see progression. What was anywhere from 2-3 beers a day 20 years back is now to the point where I feel that I need 9-12 daily to avoid withdrawl from kicking in. On weekends I can easily hit 15-18 drinks but I pay the price big-time come Monday. After a hard-partying holiday weekend recently I was suffering some pretty bad withdrawl symptoms even if I had 6-7 beers daily to attempt to ease the agony a little.

I started attending AA a few months ago on a roughly weekly basis, but feel hypocritical as hell in that I don't seem to get a lot out of it - I am simply going through the motions of attending with every intention of drinking as soon as I can get to a store afterwards.

I spoke to my Dr. recently and his recommendation was to "wean" myself off alcohol over the course of several weeks, dropping 1-2 drinks per day less per week until I feel that I can quit without having to do a detox program (which is virtually impossible due to other responsibilities).

So having admitted the problem I am looking for a way to decline the amount consumed vs. cold-turkey because I do worry about detox and the possibly serious associated ramifications of quitting entirely at once.

AA step 1 is no problem but at this point I am not sure of step 2, I just don't quite "believe" it, but I sure as heck hope that is possible.

I don't feel suicidal or anything along those lines but at the same time I am not convinced of what approach I should take moving forward.

Anyone that has experience in attempting this route please feel free to share.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that it is good that you spoke with your doctor. I would not feel hypocritical about AA. I am in AA and have seen them welcome people back with a 24 hour chip every day of the week. It is great that you have the desire to quit drinking.

For me... in some aspects of AA I am still doing the "fake it until you make it" thing. I also heard something great from a guy in a meeting I went to last night.

"Instead of changing my thoughts and waiting for my actions to change. I need to change my actions and the change in my thoughts will follow."

I wish the best for you. Good luck and be sure that you stay in touch with a medical professional while you go thru this process.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...

You are welcome in AA meetings not fully sober.

Why not relax about the Steps
until you are sober? first ...get your
brain and body alcohol free .

The top sticky post in our Alcoholism Forum
has info and some of our experiences on de toxing.
I think there are 1 or 2 who tapered and shared.

Glad you found us...do keep posting,
Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

AA... A desire to stop is all they require for membership.

What I found when trying to step down my smoking...it worked for a few days but just like alcohol...the addiction to nicotine is progressive in nature. I wasn't able to do a controled step down. What worked for me much better was... smoke as little as I could and try to cut that number down daily as able.

I am not a Dr so doing it his way would be the smart choice but if you find it doesn't work that well... trying what I tried for smoking could be an option.
Going to AA is good as well. What you hear today may help you as you remember it at a later time when it may be needed.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please contact me for a website link to answer this question.

Last edited by CarolD; 05-31-2008 at 03:48 AM. Reason: E Mail Link Removed
Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I tried to wean myself off in the past more then once. Usually as I got close and was about ready to stop I ended up drinking more and having to start all over again. Your doctor can prescribe you some medication that will help you stop without having to wean yourself off. You should ask about that instead it's a much better way to go.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with the above poster... Talk to your doc. Also aa is not the only game in town. Please read and find out your options. I am quite sober with no program at all and according to Harvard University that is how 80% get sober...NO PROGRAM...wow, eh?

Just find what works for you and please do talk to your doc! Sounds like you already are and that is great!

Thinkingabit
Old 05-31-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thx

Well, I want to give a big thanks to all who responded, either in thread or otherwise. I *think* that I've figured out a track to follow and I also received some very interesting information to give thought to. Yes, my addiction talks to me and tells me to do things, but I actually had a very productive day. Drinking 9 on a Saturday may not sound like an improvement to a lot of folks but there it is, and for me it is a definite improvement. Now with luck and work I can repost next Saturday and say it was 8, or 7, or 6. I don't want to set unachieveable goals and then feel bad for not making them so if I do 8 next weekend then I suppose I'll be happy to see progress.

Today has been a pretty good day and I feel on track with the weaning plan so far - time will tell. I also plan to go to at least one meeting this week (Monday) and who knows, maybe I'll actually share this time. As I mentioned previously, it still seems hypocritical but I guess progress is going to be hard to maintain going it alone.

Prior to this a Saturday would involve about 15-18 drinks and I'd be passed out by now - today it is 9 and I am ready to cook a good dinner, read, and go to sleep. Maybe my writing is somewhat coherent too ;-)
Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mike- I hope that you enjoyed your dinner last night and the book. Hopefully you are feeling rested today and ready to tackle another day. There is an AA chat meeting on this site on Sunday nights. Maybe you will want to pop into the chat room. Last week was the first time I did and I really got a lot out of the topic discussed. It is at 5pm Phoenix time, which I think is 8pm in VA.

Enjoy your day.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is the approach I am taking, since, like you, have other responsibilities and also no insurance.

I started a while back (not sure of the exact date, didn't note it) cutting down, and have mostly done well. (this is actually the first time I have posted here in a while, after sharing my plan, so I think some might assume I failed...just been busy with work and family stuff and not felt much like posting)

Note that I say "mostly done well", and by well I mean being able to limit myself to 3-4 glasses of wine in a 24 hr period instead of 2-3 BOTTLES.

I DID drink to excess in the past week...and felt like crap as a result, mentally and physically. Not making an excuse for myself (I simply CHOSE to get smashed, to keep drinking after I should have stopped) but I recently lost my husband of 23 yrs (2 1/2 mths ago) and this past week was our anniversary. I chose to deal with it by getting drunk.

But I do not consider myself to have failed, nor do I think of it as "starting over" from day 1....I am still going forward with my plan, and I just remind myself that all those days I DIDN'T get drunk still count. Heck I even had a few days when I didn't drink at all! Not long ago, I would have gotten roaring drunk every day of that time, so it counts to me.

Anyway, my goal is to work my way gradually down to 1-2 glasses of wine a day then either maintain that if it appears I can (going to be brutally honest with myself on this, and if I know I cannot w/o bingeing periodically, will proceed to total abstinence.) or quit altogether.

What really helps me is constantly reminding myself of how good I feel when I don't drink or drink in moderation. That works both ways: when I've "succeeded" for a few days in a row OR when I've "failed" and feel like warmed over death the next day. Both only reinforce my determination to follow through.

Wishing you all the best in your efforts. It's hard but also very simple. This place has been helpful to me, just reading the experiences and advice of others.