Notices

Lost it again

Old 05-29-2008, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost it again

In five years, I've had maybe three months sober. I first got clean two years into it (stayed clean maybe 3 months), a couple days here and there, and recently I had 14 days that I just let go. I felt like I was given some kind of gift because I was so incredibly HAPPY during those 14 days. I had no anxiety and I felt GREAT. I CAN'T BELIEVE I LET IT GO. I'm 22 with the world at my hands. My parents are so supportive, I live in a beautiful house with a garden I love, a swing to swing on, and all I could ever ask for. I just can't believe I let that 14 days go. I can't figure out how to start again. How to start getting sober that is. Thats why I joined this site.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello RNCLE

Welcome to SR

May sound simple but the same way to stop is the same way I stay sober...
Don't pick up that first one.

As for ways to deal with the feelings and emotions that go along with trying to stop, support groups such as AA are a great place to find answers at.
22 is a good age to start on the journey as well. Worked out nice for me (kept me alive all these years)

Your not alone in this struggle. There is support all around, we just need gather it in as needed and some that doesn't seem needed at the moment will help us later if needed.
You can do it. I know this because I was able to do so.

Again, welcome to SR.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

My biggest downfall has always been letting my shortcomings get the best of me.
Dont think of it as you let it go. Think of it as you just lost sight for a moment.
You can never lose what time you have had.
Where to start again?
Right where you left off. Never give up and always keep trying.
Glad you are here.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome RNCLE

Best thing you can do is not beat up on yourself. Just realizing you have a problem and attempting to overcome it is a big step that deserves a pat on the back.

Keep reaching out and visit here often.

P.S. May I have a swing on your swing please lol
Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi RNCLE -

You start again ... by being where your hands are.

For TODAY - you don't pick up.
You don't think about yesterday
(it's already over)
you don't think about tomorrow
(it hasn't happened yet)

you only think for today.

TODAY -
I haven't needed to drink.
TODAY -
I am doing what I need to do.

That is what works for me.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds like you know some of the benefits of sobriety, so I hope that you will try again.

Just take small steps, begin now, and we're here to help you get through today.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here with us....
Welcome!

Many of us had false starts on our way to solid sobriety.
Do you have a new plan for more successes?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi! I try to take one day at a time and not dwell on the past or future. Just that one day. Don't beat yourself up too much! You can have many more than 14 days sober ahead of you!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! Never give up! Keep trying! And don't drink just for today. One day at a time you can get where you want to be.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One moment at a time.Just do what you did when you started the 14 days, but get some help and support going so you don't slip again.The quicker you get back on track, the better.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I want to smile again

You know that sobriety feel so good and you sound so happy describing it...so go there again. Don't let this one mistake stop you! I have tried tens of times to get sober. It's not easy but you can do it. We are all here to support you!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow

I titled this posting as 'Wow' because I can't believe all the responses I got from everyone. I seriously can't believe how many people replied; all with such meaningful and motivating thoughts- I don't even know how to express my gratitude; for giving me hope (I had lost it for a minute there). I've been battling with the feeling like a failure and wasting every given chance to get sober again- I've ruined so many of those opportunities I've been given- mainly from my parents (and their desperateness to help me). I think my mom knows- my physical characteristics are a dead give away. But for so long, she's tried so much, (dad too) everything to help me. I mean everything. From kicking me out, to locking me in, to inpatient, to outpatient, finding a psychiatrist and psychologist, plus all the funding.. and sober living, ignoring it, family group therapy, supporting me through AA's NA's (even at meetings). All this eats at her because she feels like she's out of options. Like I said, she has to know because its noticeable. She lets me spend my days at home now, trying to provide a life of luxury, trying to help me become more independent, find a job, be more stable.. I get to plant flowers and swing all day- Sometimes swinging is the only thing that makes me happy. And I still fail her, I can tell by her forced smile.
I can't tell you ALL how much your responses mean to me.. and my family. I just had another tempting invite.. and for the first time (since the 14 days) I SAID NO. Thanks to you all.. I'm in tears!
Maybe I can do the same thing tomorrow. PS) It was my b-day three days ago. I'm 23!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nobody can make you stop, but it sounds like you have some great support there.

Perhaps try AA, the 12 step program, and seek out a Higher Power.

And of course, visit this site frequently.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

RNCLE,

By the time I was 22, I knew I had a seious problem with alcohol and other things but wasn't mature enough to be willing to do anything about it. Now, 22 years later it is time. In the meantime I wasted a lot of time and money and hurt a lot of people, myself most of all.

I can't say I don't have some good memories of my time under the influence, but the vast majority of my favorites had nothing to do with booze. I would even go so far as to state categorically that for me excessive drinking is like taking a time-out from life. A time-out taken every day, and it almost inevitably does become a daily thing, adds up to a lot of time. Time that could be spent in almost any other way much more usefully, in service to yourself, the people you love, or even total strangers. Time that I spent usefully and the momory of which I treasure most dearly.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and will inevitably destroy you. If only I had been more like you 22 years ago.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

RNCLE,

You are so fortunate to have recognized your problem at 22!! Think of the years you CAN save yourself! There's a difference between staying sober and recovery, to recover, I believe, you need help. AA helped me quit after decades of drinking, it can do the same for you. I recommend, if you are female, to try and find a women's only meeting, so you can concentrate on your recovery.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

The only way I was able to achieve sobriety was with the help of my Higher Power (which is God) and the AA program. I tried many times to quit drinking on my own and failed miserably each time. In the beginning of my recovery the only thing that stood between me and that first drink was my Higher Power. Please give AA a try. Grateful Heart