Notices

Suicide Attempt

Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Suicide Attempt

My daughter tried to kill herself today. She is at the hospital now, taken by ambulance from our home. My daughter is 18 (soon to be 19), and this isn't the first time she's made an attempt on her life, but this is the first time that 911 has been involved. In the past, she's tried taking different kinds of pills and at one point, had to have her stomach pumped. That was four years ago. Today, she took the table-top barbeque grill into her stand-up shower and closed herself in and lit the charcoal. Something made her stop, and she IMd me at work and told me that she'd tried to kill herself. While I was trying to get her to tell me what she had done, the local police department called me at work and said that they were informed of an emergency and needed my address to respond. I gave them the address and told them to send an ambulance and that I was leaving work immediately and would meet them at the house. I told my daughter to unlock the door and go outside and that an ambulance was on the way. By the time I got home, they had hooked her up to an IV and were checking her vitals. They said her vitals were good and she was awake and alert. The ambulance took her to the hospital.

The reason I am posting this here is because just yesterday, I finished 6 days in alcohol detox, 2 weeks in PHP and 3 weeks in IOP. I graduated the program yesterday. Now this. The psychiatrist at detox brought up this very scenario the day I was due to leave. He told me that I could not return to the same situation I left when I checked myself in. He said that if I did, my daughter would end up killing us both. She, probably accidentally, and then I would drink myself to death. He said that if she attempted to kill herself again, I should call 911, let the police and EMT take her to the hospital, and I should stay home and get a good night's sleep. I remembered his words today, and it took everything I had not to follow the ambulance to the hospital. I know she is in good hands, so I must try to calm down and take care of me right now.

I am NOT going to drink, I don't think, but I sure could use some support right about now.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Your daughter is in the care of medical personel and God.
You did the best thing available for her.

Now continue to do the best thing available to you...
Don't pick up that first one.

You did good. Your daughter will be looked after by Drs and may find what she needs.
Be grateful you were sober at the right time so you could do the best thing that could be done.

Prayers for you both.

Good job.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suki I am so very sorry you and your daughter have to go through this right now. The only thing I know for sure about your situation is that drinking will definitely make things worse, not better. You've been through a lot these past several days so don't let it all be for nothing, take care of yourself so you can be there for your family. I am praying that things get better for the both of you, sooner rather than later.
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG (((Suki)))

You poor thing that is just horrible. I don't know your history but I'm sure your daughter will be ok as she is in professional hands right now. Try not to think about the long term just that she is ok right now.

You did so well following your Dr's advice. I can't imagine how hard that was for you. If you were able to do that you can leave the evil drink alone. You know it will make this situation worse.

Deep breaths and keep reaching out. We're here for you.
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Thank you. Perhaps this will end up being a blessing in disguise. I know she has needed help for quite a while, but without insurance, there aren't many options, PLUS, the past 6 weeks have been all about me and her issues have been put on the back burner. I feel guilty for that, but I've been trying so hard to get and keep myself sober.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this Suki, keep strong and you both are in my prayers,
God bless.:praying
Old 05-28-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry Suki.

I have no words of wisdom really, just to say this is a good place to be right now cos I'm sure there are way smarter people than me here

Prayers to you and your daughter.
D
Old 05-28-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Suki, that is so hard. I hope she and you will be OK.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Suki)))

I'm so happy that you are following your doctor's advice. I know how hard this is. My son attempted suicide multiple times too. It's devestating. But, drinking will not help her one bit. Your doctor is right. The best thing you can do right now is to be a shinning model of recovery. And you are on that road right now. Continue on it. Take care of you physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. She will learn by your behaviors, not by your words. It will be a healthy model for her to follow.

You don't say if you are going to meetings or not. Face to face support right now would be most helpful, I'm sure. Counseling too. I know that helped me get through these times when I was going through it with my son. And posting here on SR. Continue to post, and receive the loving support you will get, but, don't discount that face to face support. It's truely vital for us. There's nothing like a hug when we need it. A virtual is nice, but, feeling those arms around us, holding us, is a completely different thing when we're in need. Allow yourself to get what you need.

Please know that I'm so sorry for your suffering. And your daughter is in my prayers for a complete refuah shleyma -- a renual of body and spirit.
And for you, too. :praying

Shalom!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Prayers to you and your daughter Suki.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you and your family Suki.

I am so sorry you're going through this.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't offer anything but prayers for you and daughter Suki. God bless and be with both of you.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Suki, my heart is with you. My son attempted suicide years ago. He hadn't intended to "really" kill himself, but he almost did.

I know how I felt when that happened. It is hard.

Take care of yourself.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Let go and Let God.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
cmc

I'm so glad she is safe and getting the care she needs. You've done well to listen to your dr and keep yourself your top priority. You have my support and I'm proud of you for sticking with your recovery and taking good care of yourself. :hugs:
Old 05-28-2008, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I tried calling the hospital to see if she was admitted, but they didn't have any information on her. When I told them she was taken there by the police, they said I'd have to call the PD to get information due to confidentiality. I called the PD and the man I talked to said that an officer was still with her at the hospital. He said that he'd contact that officer and have him call me. So far, I'm still waiting to hear something.

Thank you everyone for your support. I can't tell you how much I appreciate each and every one of you right now.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 05-28-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
"Welcome To The Future..."

Oh, my dearest suki! My heart aches for you and your daughter. What hell you must be going through!! You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers. You've been a good friend to me, and I'm here for you to return the favor anytime. You've made me laugh when I wanted to cry. So tonight, if you feel like crying I'll be here for you. My shoulder is always readily available for you and any of my other friends who are suffering!

You reminded me of how big of a trigger FEAR can be. Be strong sook. Hold onto your sobriety. I can't imagine anything more trying than your current situation. Know that you are doing the right thing. You have no reason to feel guilt. You will be there for your daughter when the time is right, just as all mothers are. And you need to be sober when the time comes for you to support her. Be well my friend. My heart is with you and your daughter. I pray you will both find peace soon! Love ya!!

butterfly19 (aka "SP")

:ghug2
Old 05-28-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
((((suki))) Prayers going out for both of you. Your daughter is in good hands, and I'm happy to hear you're following your doctor's advice. Please take care of yourself and reach out for as much support as possible. As historyteach mentioned, I hope you're getting some face-to-face support at meetings and/or counseling. It helps so much to have others love and support us during difficult times like this.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Armchair Revolutionary

my god suki, thats awful D:

I hope your daughter is well and I'm so happy for you and your decision not to drink. You seem like a very strong person.

I wish only the best for and your daughter.