Notices

Do any of you actually enjoy drinking anymore?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do any of you actually enjoy drinking anymore?

?

Pretty sure i don't on the whole.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know...haven't tried. Don't plan to, either.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was constantly trying to find that neat feeling I use to get. I could still find about 15 minites of ease and comfort somewhere between the 4th and 8th shot of rum. But I was drinking all my waking hours and only getting that feeling a few times a week. And the rest of the time was really bad.

I'm finding new ways to find that ease and comfort and hopefully for longer than 15 minites.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I said on your other thread - it stopped being fun years before I quit. Why did I continue?

partly stubborness - like Ananda I was determined to find the buzz again; partly fear - what do I do if I don't drink, what's gonna happen if I actually admit I have a problem; and partly because I had no freakin idea what to do instead.

But I got to the point where I couldn't live like that - I was a tragedy waiting to happen.
I leapt, not knowing where I'd land...

One of the best decisions I ever made

D
Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've enjoyed so many things in sobriety
it makes no sense to me to drink

Why bother?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Funny, I've been trying to get sober, and stay sober, since the beginning of the year. I've relapsed too many times to count but noticed each time that the wine tasted worse each time and I didn't enjoy it, I was just drinking to drown my feelings. So no, I don't enjoy it anymore, haven't enjoyed it for quite a while.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Drinking lost it's enjoyment long before I found a way to stop drinking. Today, I have absolutely no reason to drink.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tren, well i do!

h2o, it never tasted so good...

good wishes

rz
Old 05-27-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I want to smile again

I think that although I'm newly sober the things involved in drinking are so tragic and sad...I was blacking out so much and behaving like an idiot so much so that it's not fun anymore. I think it actually stopped being fun for me years ago but I kept drinking because that's just what people do...after moving back to the midwest i thought "what else is there to do". I went almost a year once without drinking after being free from alcohol and I loved it. I cooked, i worked out, I had motivation and $ to do the things I want instead of spending all my time and resources looking for the next drunken good time.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Man. I only drank for three, three and a half hears... I didn't enjoy my drinking at all for the last two and a half years.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Drinking was fun.

Being an effed up drunk ass blacked out beotch wasn't.

I don't do it anymore.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Was it ever?

I was out riding my mountain bike a couple weeks back on a beautiful, and paused to ask myself; "Would it be nice to stop and have an ice cold beer?"

First the memory of the taste didn't particularily appeal to me, and then I had to honestly tell myself what happens after I suck back that first one.
  1. I would have to have 6-12 more after that one
  2. Then I would start thinking I could probably handle smoking a joint
  3. Followed by believing I could then smoke just "a half" of crack cocaine
  4. Ending up wondering; "How the hell did I get here again??!!"

So needless to say. I decided that I really wouldn't enjoy that beer and went to sleep that night yet another day clean and sober, and feeling pretty damn good when I got up the next day.

I was able to go through this process because I spent almost 3 decades of my life thinking that I enjoyed drinking.

Last edited by soulsearcher67; 05-28-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do enjoy it while I'm inebriated, but I certainly don't enjoy the ****** feeling afterwards (which nowadays tends to last longer than the actual amount of time spent drinking)...whether it's extreme nausea or just feeling terrible about my body, and having to face up to my problems again. Last time I drank beer I felt pretty sluggish/gross afterwards, and went to the gym to alleviate the feeling...that felt fantastic, but what if I simply went for my health/well-being, not to "fix" a binge? The fact that I do still enjoy drinking to an extent is why I keep slipping, but I'm trying to find more reasons to stay sober...because if I feel like I'm "missing out" by *not* drinking, that's when I have to ask myself - what's missing in my sober life? If I am drinking to escape, what if had reasons to stay instead?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nope

ps Welcome to SR.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steamvessel View Post
A lot of the times I didn't even like it while I was drinking and would have to get really messed up just to get over that feeling. And then, yes somewhere around my 12-13th drink my body would just relax, I guess you could say I enjoyed that. But that's like saying you enjoyed a 2 week trip somewhere and there was one day for 3 hours that were very relaxing, and the rest of it was stressful and annoying. Wouldn't you have to say you didn't enjoy that trip?
It depends. If I've been sober for a few days I do feel a little thrill when I decide to dive in to the bottle. And I do enjoy the inibriation, until I start stressing about shutting down the night so I can function the next day and I'm chugging water and calculating how many hours sleep I can get and popping half a Tylenol PM so I don't wake up at 5am and can't get back to sleep... etc

If I'm in the middle of a bender then the quote above is so so true
Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't enjoy drinking anymore and don't want to do it again, but I sure miss being able to be completely numb.