Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Did It Again Anyone Watch The Show About The Sexual Addict

Notices

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Was Totally Shocked, I Had To Walk Away A Few Times Because It Hit Too Close To Home Hell Even My So Hod To Leave The Room It Was Hard Hitting, The Last Part When The Male Nurse Was Making The Advances I Knew What She Felt That Fear That Rush That High, I Have That With My So But The Other Made Me Do Things( Before He And I Got Together) Like She Did That Was Totally Out Of Charecter, My Mom And Friends Said It Was Just Because I Had Come Out Of A Horrid Relationship What Ever The Reason I Am So Glad To See That Lifetime Finally Addressed A Growing Problem......i Wish That One Day Ppl Could Talk As Openly And Freely As Alcoholism

Pamm
Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

and with that i know that this thread even scares ppl here on SR thanks for the imput ppl once again i feel tottally alone and wierd again

Pamm
Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Pamm!)))

I didnt see the program! lol

Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I didn't see it either.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sorry, Pamm, I always pay attention to the things you say - but honestly I don't know anything about sexual addiction, so didn't want to say something dumb. I try to be well informed, but I admit I haven't learned alot about this subject.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't get Lifetime in Aus...and personally I wouldn't watch a show like that anyway Pamm.
Relax !!

D
Old 05-27-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Pamm - I didn't see it either and from what you describe, the situation in the movie does sound scary & out of control to someone who has never experienced it, just like alcoholism. I hope you are feeling better about it today and you have someone you can talk to who can better understand what you have been through. With care, Jomey
Old 05-27-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Hey Katz

I did happen to catch that show, (most of it anyway).

I'm not (nor ever have been) a sex addict, (or at least not any more of one than any other red-blooded American male), although I could relate to a few things and did enjoy watching it.

I can understand the fear/rush/high thing. I think probably everyone has experienced something like it to one extent or another, perhaps even if only a few times as a kid (even if we've forgotten it). There's that classic "don't open that door" -- and when you thought no one was looking, that feeling just as you're about to cross that line, (but most likely not nearly to the same extent that you're talking about).

I can understand the thrill of "...stepping out of your life for a few moments..." thing too, and I can imagine the "...I'm not really me otherwise, I'm not really alive..." aspect based on my own experiences with alcohol dependence. (I've also had my "slutting around" days in the past).

I thought other things resulting from her abuse became pretty evident long before the ending. Some examples would include her underlying conceptions regarding both men and her self-image of how she is supposed to relate/interact with them, the ways she defined herself, and that whole "official story" thing, (there were others). Can't say I didn't see the ending coming, (although I got the age wrong and was flabbergasted).

Having personally experienced craving with alcohol, (both acute and prolonged), I can understand the "...I can't stop..." and "...I need help..." parts, along with what appeared to hint at some Step work.

The male nurse/orderly/whatever sickened me. I was hoping maybe he was there as a test or something. Total sleezebag. Con-man, just like the "boss" but in a different way.

I was cheering the girlfriend's husband for doing the right thing, (we're not all bad, ladies). I laughed when the girlfriend walked in, but a part of me also cried. I could feel the pain of her finally seeing herself a little more clearly.

All in all, I thought it was a really good movie and I'm glad I watched it even though it was pretty disturbing, (some parts hit too close to home), and I probably wouldn't want to watch it again. "Gone Baby, Gone" is another movie I put into that category, (glad I saw it, don't really want to see it again). "Georgia Rules" is another good movie, (although I might watch that one again).

(You are not alone!)
Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I want to smile again

I did see it. Actually that was my second time watching it. The thing that I related to was her deep issues that she wouldn't admit to. She had these more important reasons for all the behaviors she was acting out. I also related to the character when her husband and mother didn't take her very seriously. I feel that way about my drinking. I tried to ask for help so many times and got "I don't see a problem" in response. Lifetime has such crazy movies on Personally I like Oxygen better..more reality shows ha ha!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

THANK YOU EVERYONE ( HAD TO LAUGH AT MY STONEY) ANY HOW IT WAS AWSOME AND WAS SHOCKED THAT NOT MANY PPL HAD RESPONDED, GT YOU AND I HAVE HAD SOME CONVERSATIONS REGARDING THIS SITUATION WITH YOUR EX ( I SAY THIS KNOWING THAT MY E CAN TAKE NOMORE AND HE IS MOVING OUT AS WE SPEAK HE SAID HE WILL BE GONE BY FRIDAY)
THE HIGHS AND LOWS OF THIS ADDICTION ALONG WITH THE OTHER ISSUES IN MY LIFE MAKE ME REALLY HARD TO DEAL WITH.....YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD WITH THE RUSH AND THE HEART POUNDING TILL YOUR HANDS TREMBLE, WORST PART IS i AM ALREADY FEELING IT AND HE ISNT EVEN GONE!!!!

I KNOW I LOVE E BUT I AM SO DAMN TIRED OF HURTING HIM I JUST AM REALLY GLAD TO OF SEEN THAT SHOW IT MADE ME REALIZE THAT I TRUELY WASNT ALONE......

PAMM
Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

wondering where i can find one of the hospitals or clinics like she was in, I need something and i know it....thanks for the movie suggestions Girl, interupted was another good one about my bpd and one E showed me i freaked big time!

Pamm