Notices

New to this

Old 05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Never give up!

Thumbs up New to this

Hi all,
I found this site late last night and came back today to register and here I am. I am a bit lost and do not have time to surf right now, but I wanted to say hi and tell you all a bit about why I am here. My addiction is pot. I have sort of a love/hate realtionship with it right now. I have decided (after months of fighting with myself), tha Friday (tomorrow), is my last day forever. I have written a list of pros and cons and of course the pros far out weigh the cons. Why Friday you may ask. That is when I estimate the last of my stuff will be gone. I am throwing away all my "tools" and vow never to call "my guy" again. My husband has a drinking problem and he too is vowing to give up alcohol. We plan on supporting one another. We have been talking about doing this for a long time and have been really depressed due to our self-hatred we have for ourselves. We are blessed with 2 beautiful boys and hate that we sit in the house and do NOTHING because we want to do our stuff (smoke for me and drink for him). Not to mention we are a 1 income family and the cost is killing us. We feel so tired all the time and never have the initiative to do anything. We want to do so much with and for our boys and for our selves. We both know we will feel so much better andd have so much more money and energy. We HAVE to do this! We HAVE to do this! I am scared, but I want to do this so bad. I am afraid of failing and I am afraid of not doing it as I feel as though I need it sometimes. I have tried to "just do it on the weekends" and have found I can not. If I have any, I want to smoke it! I have to just stop cold turkey and remove myself from it (don't buy it). I am not sure how I am going to cope, but I am glad to know that this site and wonderful people are here to give me ideas, inspiration, and support! Wish me luck! I will keep you posted on Saturday how my first day of true sobriety is like. I have to do this. Wish me luck. I know this will be the best decision I will ever make for my life! I want to do and accomplish so much and once I eliminate my old "friend" I know I will be free to do whatever my heart desires. Wish me luck all! Please e mail me if you are suffering from a pot addiction as well! Thanks so much!
Holly
Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here with us...Welcome!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome to SR

I to had a love/hate relationship with drugs and alcohol. I am so glad the hate part of it won. In the beginning it was a little tuff to break the habit part. But finding things to do helped. Talking to people with the same goals helps also.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am new to this site too and I love it so far. It really helps to get support from people who have been there. My addiction is alcohol, and pot too. I tried to smoke the pot to get away from the alcohol…but now I just drink, then smoke after that to help me sleep. If it’s not around I won’t smoke it, like you. But my husband also smokes and drinks so it’s very hard to quit. You sound like you are very willing to stop. I feel that way too. I have a baby girl and I want to be there for her. Pot is hard to stop, it’s something that relaxes me. But you have to do it cold turkey. I haven’t yet, I’m trying to stay sober one minute at a time. It’s so very hard. I wish you luck…keep posting!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Choose, welcome...I am a newbie to but I just wanted to say hi and say I had (have) pretty much the same problem. I've found that if I have any pot in the house it is to tempting to smoke so I would never keep any around execpt on weekends when I could drink and smoke to my hearts content. But don't want to waste my weekends being wasted anymore. I find pot makes me jumpy and a bit parnoid now...I find I need to drink a lot of beer to even out the pot so I end up getting really messed up and real hungover. I'm tired of that and want a sober life now. Glad you do to. You can do it!!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR! Glad that you found us!

Please check out our other forums too "Substance abuse" and "Alcoholism" and also take a
look at the stickies at the top of the forums!

There is a lot of support here for you both! Please know that you are not alone!

Keep posting!

Blessings!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

:
Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hello Choose!

Wow! You are lucky that you and your husband can communicate so well with each and are in true aggreement about what you need to do. It's wonderful that you're doing it together. Have you thought about AA and NA? You could go to NA and he could go to AA and you'd both have support outside of each other and the marriage.

I've found that I really needed AA to stop drinking even though I had my husband's support (for the most part). I can't help thinking about how one of you might react if the other drank ro smoked. Could you support eachother and help the other get on track without a lot of resentment and anger? (Not that htat would necessarily happen, just trying to help you make a plan.)

I'm glad you're here. SR is awesome.

- MLE
Old 05-15-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you are making the choice to live a sober life.

I agree with the point Mle-sober made - basically, I think you need to focus on your personal recovery and do this for yourself.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Never give up!

Thanks for the message! It has been a little over a week now and I am finding it easier day by day, but still have a lot of moments when things are rough! My husband and I argue a lot and we know it is because we are no longer high and drunk. It has been so hard and so rough and I feel so beat up and so bored and lost lately. I feel like I have all this time on my hands and I do not know what to do. I do not know what I want to do. I am having issues, but I am taking it one day, actually one hour at a time. Thanks for your support. Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Never give up!

Hi there! Thanks for posting. Well my husband did good all last weekend and all week, but did drink and smoke (cigarettes as he is trying to quit that too) this weekend. I did not get angry or pressure him and though I had a bit of jealousy as I wanted to smoke at times, I also know I REALLY want to quit and DO NOT want to smoke. I just wish I knew how to help him as while he was indulging he felt really guilty. I told him to remember all the progress he had made all week but somehow I know that did not help. Any suggestions for him. He refuses to jump on the site or go to AA meetings. He wants to do it on his own, but I am not sure if he can. I am not looking forward to this week as when he first quits he will be in a BAD mood again! Well wish us luck!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good wishes c2bs08

rz
Old 05-27-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.:ghug3:praying
Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome !!

I too had a wicked pot addiction, and a great fear of giving up my "friend" of so many years. I also struggle with alcohol but I stopped the pot 6 months ago.

Don't worry your craving WILL go away if you just keep up what you're doing. There is a certain turning point which passes almost unnoticed when you realize that you've kind of forgotton about it. My wife and friends all smoke and sometimes it's hard to say no when they "pass the joint" but you'll be suprised how easy it is after a couple of times.

You might want to have a talk with your Dr. He/She may be able to prescribe something to help you get through the initial phase.

Good luck!!!