Notices

I think I'm done

Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm done

Boy, the last 10 days have been very interesting to say the least. I knew deep down that I had a drinking problem, but I wasn't paying any attention to it. I've been a real pro at hiding it, as I hang out with a lot of different groups, and no one suspects a thing. 10 days ago I finished reading "The Chris Farley Show" and it really opened my eyes. It was after that when I found this site and just started reading and it's been very theraputic for me.

I actually drew a few sober breaths this week and was starting to get that whole energy thing again. I felt great and was starting to get very creative at a crucial point in my life. Then last night some guys I occasionally work with called up and invited me out to the bar, under the illusion of doing some work. It caught me at an off moment, and in a flash I was out the door.

Something happened when I woke up this morning. I had the wildest cognition that I'm blowing it, life that is. I was brushing my teeth and all of a sudden I was disgusted with myself. I've gotten flabby, and my face had that awful hangover look. That's when I really started to analyze myself, and I can be pretty hard on myself. The fact is, this isn't what I want for myself. It's a complete waste of time. I work in the arts, and to be a success is a one in a million shot at the best, so why am I wasting my time as a wannabe if I'm not going to give it 100%?? So the bottom line is that I need to replace bad patterns of actions with positive ones. Cheers to this site for being able to help open my eyes. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have really taken a deep look at yourself. The biggest difference I have noticed physically in the past 30 days is that I have lost the "puffiness" in my face and shed 5 pounds.

I wish you the best. You should see if there is an AA meeting you can make. There are usually good speaker meetings on Sunday nights where I am. They are very inspirational!

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris,

Welcome!

I'm glad you are ready to make some changes in your life. It's hard work to get and stay sober, but it's worth it.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations! DSodaNow---5 pounds! That's great too!

Welcome, Chris1971!!! You are on a great path!

Honu
Old 05-25-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Chris,

Welcome. This is an amazing group of people you have found. I've only been on the site for a week now, and it feels like I've known some of them forever. Not that I am in any way an expert, but you might want to keep reading, listen and learn. When I first came here last weekend, I was done...I knew I needed to stop drinking, and had no idea how to do it. These folks do. They've helped me to overcome my fear of asking for help, helped me to not pick up a drink, allowed me to post endlessly this week and have been incredibly supportive and wise. Stick around and help me to become sober.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site Chris! It really sounds as if you want to make some positive changes in your life. Quitting drinking is a big change, but it's for sure a positive one. I haven't much experience at staying sober, but have more experience at stopping and starting again. I have ten days sober now and feel better already. I like my sober self better than I like the drunken one.

Stick around, post your questions, read what others have to say about their experiences. I'm learning a lot from this place and the loving supportive people here.

:ghug2
Old 05-25-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's very much appreciated. As I get a little more comfortable, I'll soon try posting on other topics as well.