Notices

I hope you don't think this is silly or stupid

Old 05-25-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Still drinking water like it's going out of style, but of course, as always, he slept peacefully beside me with Riley on the other side. I woke up begging God to if not heal his diabetes, at least regulate it.

In every other aspect of his life his health is good, just that damn killer diabetes. I've never hated a 'thing' so much.

The first dog we got from this rescue angel was a little crippled dog who just lived down the street from us. He'd lived his entire life, at least six or seven years, on a chain tied to the garage and fed only table scraps. Never got to go for a walk and sniff, never went to the vet, never slept in a bed... he came to us by Fate, which is another way of saying his Maker sent him. We ended up adopting him and giving him the best two months of his whole life. Unfortuately his lifetime of neglect and malnutrition took its toll and when he got sick with an infection almost a year ago he didn't have the strength to fight it and died.

I know forgiveness is a virtue but I'm finding it difficult, if not impossible, to forgive his former owners for treating a loving little dog so badly. And his temperment was lovely, for a dog who'd been ignored his whole life he was wonderfully loving and trusting. Well at least his last two months were good. He got to sleep in a bed and eat good food and get vet care and go for walks and know he was loved.

He's sleeping in our back yard now, but his soul, his healthy whole self is running and playing in God's Meadow. He's waiting for me there.

Sorry to go on and on but I am distraught and desperate. I pray for Nikko every time I look at him. My dogs are my babies who will never grow up and leave me, except to move to The Meadow, and the Caretaker there will watch over them with loving grace til I get there.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Keep Nikko in your prayers please. I love you all. I've found human beings here whose unconditional love matches that of my dogs!

:ghug
Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued prayers for Nikko's healing and peace and for you too, Least.

I know Nikko is grateful to have found you.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Prayers for healing and peace - Jomey
Old 05-25-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ah Least. God put you here for with a definite purpose. You are the Saint Francis to the animal world. Good job and your heart just blows me away. Of course I prayed for your baby. You take care of yourself and keep us up on how things are going. I didn't know dogs could get diabetes. That's awful. My husband has type II. Its a scary thing. Love you and your big heart!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for you and your precious boy.

Thank you for this thread. I'm having health issues with one of my cats right now too and it's nice to know there are others who understand how hard it is to deal with.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Strange, isn't it, and wonderful, how our animals are such a huge part of our lives that when it's time to let them go, an enormous piece of us goes with them. But it's not gone, it's just waiting for us to rejoin them and restore that piece of ourselves that they kept for us for a while.

I've had animals all my life and have my own menagerie waiting for me in God's Meadow. It makes the idea of leaving this life less painful cause I know they will be there waiting for me.

I read somewhere once, and the word 'animal' can be substituted for 'dog': Dogs may not be our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

Sums it up very well.

I will pray for your cat, Wildeagle, as you pray for my dog.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I don't know how much searching you do on the net, but here is a place to start:

Canine Diabetes Veterinary Experts - Google Search

If it were me, and I have been through numerous canine issues over the years, I would ask my vet for a recommendation to a Vet that may be more knowledgeable in this particular problem. I have done this in the past and my Vet has never taken offense and now will refer me to a Vet in a particular field for the current problem on one of my dogs, if he feels that he is 'stumped.'

It's worth a shot.

And of course, prayers have been sent for HP's will for Nikko.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-25-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

((((Least & Nikko))))

Of course I will pray for both you and Nikko.
My pups. Fritz and Tannah are both 8 years old. I can see Tannah beginning to slow down and even that makes me sad.

Suzette
Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't think its silly at all Least. I've asked for prayers on here many times for my girls (cats).

I will definitely keep Nikko and you in my prayers.

Barb
Old 05-25-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nikko and I walked over to mom's house this afternoon, about three miles round trip. He just drank the bowl dry and is sacked out on the floor. I hope his long walk has helped his sugar come down. I will test him for urine sugar in a while and see.

Thank you all again for your prayers for him. :ghug
Old 05-25-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
I choose to live

:praying((((((Nikko boy)))))))

Get well SOON !!!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

:praying
Old 05-26-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just now checked his urine sugar and it's as high as it's been the last few days. Can't wait to call the vet tomorrow and make an appt for a blood sugar test and changing to the Vetsulin.

My dog-rescue-friend Angela, who is truly an angel, has told me to go ahead and get him on the Vetsulin and that she and her bf will pay for it. I can't afford much of anything right now, but Angela reassured me that part of the deal when we adopted him last summer was that his care for diabetes would be expensive and that they would help with it. She told me that altho they may have been able to find an adoptive family for him that had lots of money, she didn't think that anyone could have loved him more than I do.

I am staying sober for myself, my kids, and my beloved dogs. They believe in me with no doubts whatsoever. Their faith strengthens me and their love comforts me.

Thank you all for keeping my little Nikko boy in your prayers.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

(((Least))))

Angela does sound like an angel on earth. I'm glad that you will be able to get Nikko his vetsulin with her help.

Still sending you and your furbabies hugs and prayers from me and MY furbabies

Amy
Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

least,
you know of course that you have provided more love than anyone ever could have to Nikko. And he is lucky to have you as dog-Mommy.
KJ
Old 05-26-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

not silly!! not even a little tiny bit... big big prayers, for you and nikko and the family... poor little guy.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Beneath the Sun

prayers for you and nikko.
were would we be without our pets?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thanks to Angela, Nikko is going to the vet this morning for a blood sugar test, a brief physical, a supply of Vetsulin, and the needles to match it. If he does not show improvement in a few weeks (it takes a while for new insulin and new dosages to take effect) I will ask them for the name of a vet who's got more experience in diabetic dogs.

I am praying for him daily and hoping for better health for him.

Thank you all for your continuing prayers for my little Nikko boy.

love, least:ghug
Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nikko's blood sugar was 481 - twice as high as it should be. He's now on Vetsulin and back on his special diabetic diet dog food. Am taking it one day at a time, like everything else, and still ask for your prayers for him.

Thank you all!!:ghug2

He's mad at me right now cause he was in here asking for a treat and I didn't give him one.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm glad you got to the Vet's with him. Your a good Momma. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Barb