Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew a good place for young people.

Notices

Old 05-26-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Armchair Revolutionary

I just turned 17 and I think I have a problem with pills and (please don't laugh, I know people have problems alot more serious) weed.

It's affecting school, I spent all my money and all I do with my friends is try to get high. I won't go on about it but my lifes just been taking a nosedive

I'm just scared because almost of my family is either actively addicted to something or dead from it. My dad goes to aa, so i'm pretty familiar with the whole twelve step thing.

I looked through the forums and I didn't find anything for me. Does anyone know of a good place for teens?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

What about Narcotics Anonymous? More and more young people are showing up each day...
Old 05-26-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Armchair Revolutionary

well my dad makes all the local AA and NA meetings, i'm afraid of it getting back to him. I meant an online forum like this, but geared for younger people. (No offence anyone, it's just a comfortability thing)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to SR JoeJ.

I don't think you're going to find anyone laughing on here. Many of us, including myself, are here for an addiction to pills. It's just as serious as someone who is shooting heroin. They are both opiates and want to kill us. I'm not going to apologize for being blunt . . . it's the truth as I'm sure you know with your families history. I am a firm believer that addiction is hereditary. Runs in my family too. My Dad was an alcoholic and my little Sister died from chirrosis of the liver when she was only 26 from this disease. And as you well know, age doesn't matter. Addiction doesn't discriminiate whatsoever.

We have a great deal of people on here who are around your age or just a little bit older. You are more than welcome to stick around with us. . . . doesn't matter if you're 17 or 70. There's a lot of support and caring here.

If you're interested in meetings in your area, check out NA. I know AA has a program for young people and even though alcohol isn't your drug of choice, I know many of us who use AA as a form of support.

Keep Coming Back and God Bless,
Judy

Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

do you mean places on this forum to go to or places out in the real world???

I am 22 and pretty new to recovery as well (few days shy of 6 months clean) and i know its real hard esp for kids around our age to get clean. Seems like all people our age are doing is going to bars getting trashed or house parties where there is usually a drug supermarket.

What I found that works really great is getting involved in a sport. Any type of sport could be basketball, football, baseball, swimming. whatever interests you. Chances are most people that are active in a sport aren't out doing drugs or drinking. Not only does it fill the void of all that time you spent doing drugs but you also make new clean friends.

A job wouldnt hurt either, dont know if you got one or not. Be safe bro and I hope things work out for you....oh and welcome to SR also. Check out the substance abuse forum, there is lots of cool kids there and you'll find a lot of support.

~~Scotty
Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

just saw your new post...feel free to Private Message me if you wanna air anything out or just to talk, i know what your going through
Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You're more than welcome to hang here with us. We don't bite. There are a lot of young people here and you would be hard pressed to find another site that has as many people so full of support. Why not stick around a while and give us a try?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Armchair Revolutionary

thanks guys, I didn't expect such quick responses. I'm in a really weird place right now mentally and I think I'll stick around for a while. I'm coming off an aderal and vicoden es binge (it's what i could get my hands on) and really feeling like i need to stop.

I don't think I've slept an hour since friday cause of this aderol
Old 05-26-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Armchair Revolutionary

just had to put up another post so i'll have 5 and be able to respond to pm's
Old 05-26-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Armchair Revolutionary

well goodnight people. I'm strting to feel like I can sleep, and that would be pretty nice. I don;t think you've heard the last of me, even though i don't think i'll be going sober just yet.

thanks to everyone for the kindness, i haven't felt very optimistic lately