Notices

Had a really bad night

Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Of course, but do it anyway. Whats to loose?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was relieved to be in medical detox cause I knew the medical professionals would see that I was alright. took me about three days to feel human again but it was worth it.

There were other people in there detoxing from other drugs but they were just like me: they had an addiction they were trying to face honestly so they could be clean and sober. We all had the same problem. I made some good friends there.

:ghug3
Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

wow.

Daneilson -

If you're serious - open the phone book and call the number for AA.

Do what they tell you.

Alcoholics Anonymous is the place where alcoholics help other alcoholics. They know every 'in' with everything. It's the most heavily connected recovery resource in your area, I'm willing to bet money on it.

You call your doc and make the appointment.
Keep the appointment even though the world might end if you do.
Cause it will feel that way.
You're gonna run every line or 'logical crap' on yourself to get out of this.
You've done this before so you already know.
Meanwhile -= call Alcoholics Anonymous.

If you have to regulate your drinking meanwhile, then DO that.
Until the doc, I mean.

Alcoholics Anonymous saves lives every day.
We have no other purpose.

And just think - you'll never have to do this again.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Danielson. View Post
I'm just afraid what will happen in detox. There will be other people in there detoxing from other drugs.

WHAT? What in the world does that have to do with anything? Do you really want to clean up? Then, you must be willing to do whatever you have to do.

I went into a detox, with lots of "losers" (what my sick brain told me), and I found out that they were just people. Just like ME. I am no better than anyone else. They might use crack, I use alcohol. A drug is a drug is a drug.

I do hope that you can find your way. I don't mean to offend you, either, but, that is a lame excuse.

I truly do wish you the best.

Honu
Old 05-24-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Honu View Post
WHAT? What in the world does that have to do with anything? Do you really want to clean up? Then, you must be willing to do whatever you have to do.

I went into a detox, with lots of "losers" (what my sick brain told me), and I found out that they were just people. Just like ME. I am no better than anyone else. They might use crack, I use alcohol. A drug is a drug is a drug.

I do hope that you can find your way. I don't mean to offend you, either, but, that is a lame excuse.

I truly do wish you the best.

Honu
Too me, it's no lame excuse. If the withdrawals get too bad I will go. Right now I just feel like crap. The klonopin helped me sleep last night. Why do we do this to our selfs?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

We do this because we are alcoholics. That's just what we do.

I hope you get to feeling better! Again, I wasn't trying to be offensive. I just want you, me and everyone on here, to be sober, be happy, and be free from this awful deceptive, rude, addiction/behavior. I hate what it has done to me, and I hate to see what it does to others.

Hang in there. You will make it!

Honu
Old 05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Danielson,

Hang in there. Are you on day 2 or 3 now? Each day you get further from being drunk, you get stronger and healthier. It's like you are getting closer and closer to shore.

When I first got sober, I went to outpatient treatment and started going to AA and kept in touch here at SR - all at the same time.

I felt like a rickety boat being tossed around in a vast cold ocean. And as I rowed desperately to shore, I sometimes needed to stop and rest, anchoring myself with help from the treatment program, AA and this website.

I'm rooting for you. If I could help you row, I would.

- MLE
Old 05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Today was day 3 being sober. I decided to go to an AA meeting tonight. I've come to realize I'm going to have to surround myself with people who understand this horrible addiction.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey Danielson - Great plan! I think you're absolutely right on surrounding yourself with people that understand it and get it. Congrads!
Old 05-25-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Good job Danielson. AA has helped many, many people get and stay sober. That has to mean something.

Great job with Day 3!!! Hang in there!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Went to another AA meeting at 8:00 am this morning. That was rough listening to story's that early in the morning. I'm going to another meeting tonight. I feel like a "outcast" there. It seems and feels like they all know each other. I kind of feel awkward.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think it is great you are going to a second meeting tonight! It can be intimidating at first. When I first went I felt like I was around all these AA cheerleaders and it irritated me. But... you know what? I stuck around and am feeling a lot better these days.

There are still some irritating cheerleaders, but I try to be happy for them!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

They might all know each other, but each of them were newcomers once. Try to introduce yourself to people. And if they ask if there's anyone new, raise your hand. They will give you applause and welcome you. Most of the people I see in AA meetings come up to me and introduce themselves. It's sort of a tradition for them to do that. I've found the friendliest most helpful supportive people there. You can too. Try going to different meetings as they are all different. I like the discussion meetings cause everyone there who offers something from their own perspective, leaves me with more info and their experience, strength, and hope. I learn something from everyone separately and from the group as a whole.

Keep going back. And try not to feel like an outcast. Just introduce yourself to a few people. They won't bite you. You'll be fine, I'm sure.

:ghug3
Old 05-26-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hello Danielson:

Last edited by 24yearsOfPain; 05-26-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: entered wrong text after spell checking documents
Old 05-26-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hello Danielson:

I am new here... this is my first day. I am not an alcoholic, a member of my family is, so I have been doing most of my reading in Al-Anon.

However, your writing caught my eye about your situation in the ER. I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I am in Illinois, and in this state NO ONE can be turned away until they are treated and stable... insurance or no insurance.

Now because I can see both sides of the coin so to speak, I can understand why someone who does not drink has an intolerance of patience for someone who does. On the other hand... a health care worker should and could be more understanding of the disease and treat it as such and in a professional manner.

Because I have been dealing with an alcoholic for over 24 years, I can also see and feel "his pain and struggles" as well as my own in trying to cope with the situation. Because sometimes the alcoholic does not realize the people they leave in pain in the wake of their behavior.

However, I feel you were treated inhumanely and unprofessionally and I find it appalling. I am sorry that you had to experience this and don't understand an ER turning someone away without treatment. In this state I believe they could be sued???

I pray you continue to seek professional help for your problem. The world is so much prettier and hopeful with a "clear" mind.

Love to you...
24yearsOfPain :sorry :ghug
Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just got back from another meeting. This one was pretty cool, some nice down to earth people there. One of the home members there is a personal trainer at the gym I go to. He said if I needed anything thing at all just ask.

It was funny listening to everyone bitch about gas prices before the meeting started.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Danielson. View Post
He said if I needed anything thing at all just ask.
Temporary sponsorship would be a great start.

Hang in there !

All the best.