SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Arrrggggg! Help ME! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/150470-arrrggggg-help-me.html)

warrens 05-23-2008 09:08 AM

I have no doubt that you will prevail, my friend. And in doing so, will be of great help to all of us.

You do not wish to face the day after. You know what it will be like. You know that it will be so much worse than how you feel at present. You know that by drinking that you will trigger emotions so dark that it will be all that you can do to function.

You don't want that. You don't want to go to that very, very dark place. The one that takes everything you have and more to get out of.

You also know that this too shall pass. That by not drinking there is the great possibility that tomorrow can be your next great, fabulous day. If it isn't, so what? There's the next day.

But if you drink, you KNOW with certainty what tomorrow will be like. And the next day. And the next. There is no possibility that they will be good or even functional days. You know that they will be filled with shame, guilt, regret, and more.

But, if you remember today, and remember it as the day that you surrendered to serenity, the coming days will be filled with a sense of well being and accomplishment. You will gain from the pain. It is certain to fill your sails with a favorable wind. And your hands will be on the tiller.

We do not gain from our days without pain. It is sad but true. We only gain and make progress forward when we face the demon and choose not to fight. When we accept but refuse to engage.

Tomorrow is going to be a freakin' great day, my friend. Whether it rains or storms you will be filled with the sunshine of contentment with yourself. Another step climbed. That is too much to give up, is it not?

love,

warren

kj3880 05-23-2008 09:13 AM

I'm an addict, so I don't know too much about the desire to drink alcohol, but I certainly understand cravings. Something that helps me is to remember that they are just thoughts, and that they will pass.
The other thing I wanted to say was that my b/f is an alcoholic and he really had trouble with the cravings. I went with him to an addictionologist, who prescribed Campral. He's got it under a lot better control with the Campral, says it's a miracle for him. Obviously, it's best to be able to do it without meds, but I just wanted to make sure you had the info, in case it gets to be too much for you, to know there are some things that can help.
Also, are you going to any meetings?
kj

Tazman53 05-23-2008 09:39 AM

ROFL you have my prayers and many others, you have recieved some excellent suggestions, it now lies in your hands to pray when needed and to take any new action you have not taken before in order to stay sober.

Grab 2 sheets of paper, on one sheet write down every thing you have done so far to not drink.

Now on the second sheet of paper write down everything others have shared with you that they did to stay sober. When ever the urge to drink seems as though you can not resist it, do one of those things you have not tried yet.

No matter what you do though you need to stay in today because today is the only day you can control.

mle-sober 05-23-2008 10:02 AM

ROFL,

Do I remember correctly that you are in AA? Do you have a sponsor? Now's the time to call them. You don't have to be experiencing a craving that puts in in your car trembling parked in front of a bar. The fact that you are noticing your craving now and knowing that it's building up toward the weekend means you should call your sponsor and just talk it out. Even though you've got love and support here too.

Also, reading the Big Book could really help.

I am praying for you and I totally believe in the collective power of prayer. Hang in there! I'm so glad you're sober!

Love,
MLE

Emily2002 05-23-2008 10:51 AM

Wish I were there and could give you a REAL hug, ROFL.

I thoroughly understand your frustration with being around your husband while he's drinking and dealing with teenagers -- have four myself (two girls and two boys). I've posted in the past about both subjects, and I'm sure I'll end up venting more! Feel free to pm me if you ever need to commiserate...

Just two days ago, you were kind enough to give me the encouragement I needed in the Two Weeks and Under thread -- by telling me to "keep at it." And although I'd love to have you in that "class" again -- I want even MORE to join you while earning your next degree -- making it to the "30 and Under" thread.

I know you said you won't be able to get to the forum this weekend. Perhaps you can print out a few of your favorite posts -- yours or others' -- to reread when you feel weak. I'd love, too, for you to let me know how you got through the weekend when Monday rolls around -- so maybe you can write down your thoughts to share when you return?

Just brainstorming and in your corner, all the way!!!

:ghug3

ROFL 05-23-2008 12:05 PM

I can't thank everyone enough for the support you gave me today. I feel like I've gotten to know each and every one of you by living with you every day through your posts. If not for you I would not have gotten this far, and I CERTAINLY would not have gotten through the rough part of this day. (I feel OK now - the torture has passed.) Love is good medicine. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

ps I will not be back until Wednesday, so don't worry about my not posting prior to then.