Notices

give me a reason to be sober

Old 05-26-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
Here's a link to recovery programs

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

I want to bring up AA and prayers in meetings.
Yes...most meetings do use 2 prayers ...some do not.

However..one can choose not to join in praying.
You can leave the room...or just silently stay.

The only thing you need for AA is a desire to quit drinking.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board. I am a newcomer myself (to the board - but not to the concept of recovery). If we are not ready to quit, nothing we read here is going to help us. We are the only one who can help us - us and some power greater than us. It took me 22 years of 'research' into a life I thought I was happy living to figure that out. When we are done with our 'research', if we live that long, there are always avenues we can use in order to get better. For me, it was admitting I had no power over anything, but that there was One who did; becoming WILLING to change my life; detox in a hospital; AA and a reliance on my Higher Power in every aspect of my life. If drinking makes you happy, then by all means - keep drinking because no one here will be able to change your mind. By seeking us out; however, a seed has been planted whether you realize it or not.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Unsub- I just started reading this thread today. It has caused me to go thru so many emotions while making my way to the end of it.

1st - There must be some reason in your mind that you need to quit drinking, otherwise you would not have sought out this website and reached out. (Whether or not you want to admit you were doing it.)

2nd - I think it is great that you have looked into AA meetings. I was very uncomfortable about the whole God concept when I started AA. I also learned that many people are uncomfortable with it. You may hear others share their experiences and speak of God. But rather than argue or judge them I am happy that they have found something that works for them! I am working on step 2 right now and really struggling to define my higher power. But that is what it is, your higher power.

3rd - Just good luck Man! I am also 29! Love yourself!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Why be sober? To save yourself, your sanity and your soul. You are well on your way to alcohol owning you. It will devour everything you are leaving behind an empty shell of what you could be. Think about it. What could you achieve if you applied yourself? You have the means, pursue it! Alcohol is a poor excuse for dropping out of life.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Because God don't make "junk" ... and you are worthy of a good productive life

Originally Posted by unsub View Post
i cant find a single reason to stay sober. i am 29, male, live on my own. have no friends or family,Having no family is very sad... I don't say this to hurt you, but perhaps you have no "real" friends is because you drink.dont need to work because i inherited 500k. You DO need to work. This in itself will give you a purpose and a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Opening new doors to meet "real" friends and also give you a new sense of "worth and accomplishment." What is going to happen to you when your money runs out? And one day it will!!! If you say you have 500K then you can well afford rehab, money well spent and open doors to a productive furture. With that kind of money you can do and be as successful as anyone... live in a 1 bed apt by myself and never leave except to buy vodka from the drug store Stay out of the drug store and go back to collage... you will be amazed at what happiness success brings you and go grocery shopping once a month. been doing this since 2000.

i decided to try quiting in 2006 because i got bored of my routine and wanted some change. i quit smoking, quit fast food, quit caffeine, no problem. longest i've been sober since then was 6 months and it was a miserable time. This is because you did not fill your time with productive activity, i.e. collage/work/volunteer work i realized that alcohol is really the only thing that makes me happy and gives me something to look forward to every day. it gives me a reason to wake up and enjoy life. There are so many other posative ways to enjoy life... Bless your heart... you have the resources... use them

i know that many people have reasons to quit like like kids and family and religion, but for people like me without those things why should i keep up sobriety when it is torturous? Although you have no family now... you can have all these things you speak of... first you have to stay sober.. the rest will fall into place the only thing reasonable i can think of is for health reasons, i know my lifespan will be cut short if i continue drinking but it doesnt bother me at all. [B]It should bother you... have you ever seen an alcoholic die. I don't mean to scare you, but my father-in-law developed abdominal aneurisms from drinking and bleed to death. You have many positive reasons to live. Life is precious. Don't throw it away.

i just bought a bottle of vodka and consumed it after 1 week of sobriety and cant see why i keep trying to stay sober all this time.
I hope you don't think I was to harsh with you... but you asked for a reson to stay sober and I have given you several.

Good luck and God bless you.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why do I want to stay sober? Cause I can't stand myself drunk, cause it eats up money I can't afford to spend, cause I hate the hangovers and getting the shakes in the morning, cause I can't stand the disappointed look on my daughters face when I drink, cause I can't take proper care of my dogs when I'm drunk or passed out or hungover, cause I don't want to hurt myself with alcohol, cause I don't want to waste the rest of my life by poisoning myself every day, cause I can't drink like 'normal' people and don't want to try to 'control' drinking any more.

I could sit here for a long time and give reasons why I want to stay sober. But the best reason is I like myself better sober and alcohol is a poison to me.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

Are you ready?

Honu
Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

give me a reason to be sober
To be honest.. I cannot give you any reason to be sober.. You have to find that within yourself. All I can do is tell you how I got to sobriety. The blackouts, The violence during those blackouts. Fear of waking up in jail having killed somebody and not remembering it. 2-day hangovers. All that led up to the real reason.. I could not look at myself in the mirror anymore.. Self Hatred . The insanity of needing to quit and not being able to on my own.

About the prayers. All AA asks that you keep an open mind.. you can still believe what you want, don't let anybody tell you different.. just have an open mind.

good luck.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Armchair Revolutionary

Of all the reasons why you'd wanna stop, if nothing else sways you consider that we're in a recession. How long's that 500k gonna last you? lol XD

Hopefully that's not why you decide to quit though
Old 05-27-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hum.

Like I said, 500K isn't that much money, after all. Especially now.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Sewer Dweller

i found an aa meeting in my area within walking distance but am scared to go. i am a stubborn atheist and really had bad experiences with religious people. everything i read about aa and the prayers turns me off but it is free and i have nothing to lose so should i give it a try and risk it?

I am on the same level as you with the religion thing. There are atheist AA meetings in many areas, or similar programs. But, I wouldn't let religious differences get in the way of attending meetings and possibly meeting some great people.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

best quote ever

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
Alcohol is a poor excuse for dropping out of life.
such a simple truth, so well stated. i had to register just so i could comment on the fact that this is by far the best quote i have ever read as regards alcohol abuse.

Last edited by mstazmirazz; 08-26-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: wanted to add an afterthought
Old 08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I never saw this post before. That's one of the sadest things I have ever read.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Do one said you have to get sober. There must be some reason you keep coming here. If you don't want to stop drinking...then don't. It is your life.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

A motivational tool

Here's a thought, donate all 500k to a worthy charity, that might motivate you to get sober. Seriously though,if you don't want to get sober you won't. Although it sounds like you are realizing all the material goods in the world can't make you happy, I used to believe the same thing.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Here's a thought, donate all 500k to a worthy charity, that might motivate you to get sober. Seriously though,if you don't want to get sober you won't. Although it sounds like you are realizing all the material goods in the world can't make you happy, I used to believe the same thing.
Yeah I know of a worthy charity, just happens to be here in my back pocket!

What happened to you unsub? are you still around? How goes the drinking and the spending?

Kevin