Notices

Introduction

Old 05-22-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hi All

Not quite sure where to begin with this but i'm hoping that by sharing my experiences with all of you I will begin that journey which can only have positive outcomes.

My drinking is not something which happens on a regular basis. I don't drink every day. In fact, I can go without a drink for weeks at a time and have done so for the past couple of years. My problem lies in the fact that when I do drink, i do a damn good job of it. I am guessing I am what some people might call a binge drinker ( if that's what you call it ). Problem is I need to stop this NOW before the problem progresses.

Everytime I do this I experience blackouts, which leads me to believe that the problem is a lot more serious than I may make it out to be. I know I end up doing stupid things, I just can't remember what it is I have done!!!

The reason I am making this choice TODAY to say to myself that it's either all or nothing is because I have a loving girlfriend and we are expecting our first child soon. Naturally I am making this choice for myself as well, but I won't let alcohol destroy the best damn thing that has happened to me!!!!! Our biggest arguments have always been when drinking is involved and has on numerous occassions almost caused a seperation between us. God alone knows how she is still with me after all the pain I have put her through. God alone knows how I am still alive today as well. I think at this point my guardian angels are about to give up. Just to clarify that it's never been physical but always verbal. She even said to me once that it would have probably been better to have hit her because the verbal scars last longer. That statement will stay with me for the rest of my life. I can't change what has happened in the past, but I sure as hell am going to change the future.

Both of us come from families where our fathers were alcoholic. My mother divorced my father years ago due to his problems and I have never actually met my father and have no intention to do so. Her mother on the other hand has put up with her fathers alcoholism for the past 20 years and still continues to do so. I am assuming that a good place to start breaking the cycle is with us as I don't want my child to ever go through what I have put her mother through.

I am so glad I have found this board and will continue to post my success story as time goes by. The last time I drank was on Saturday past and I am looking forward to carrying on without it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to me.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to the family michael

congrats on a few days without the booze!

good wishes to ya!

rz
Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No AA

welcome michael-glad to have you here. kudos to your efforts to break the cycle for your child. keep coming back
Old 05-22-2008, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the welcome You know, having posted my story on this forum has already made me feel so much better! The hard part is done i think Now it's only a matter of making sure that the steps i take from now on are forward!!

Just having read some of the stories in this forum has opened my eyes to what awaits a person at the end of road in which alcohol is involved. It's NEVER a happy ending.

Thank you all for sharing your stories.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael. I'm glad you are here.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Blessings to you...your partner and baby to be.

Welcome to sR!

BTW...i've not had a blacout
since I quit drinking.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Michael. I am so glad you are here, as are the others. You will be just fine! Keep coming back.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sewer Dweller

I too am expecting a child in my life soon and wanted to get my life in check before he/she arrives. Recognizing it before it controls you is a huge step forward.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Michael! Congrats on being a soon to be parent! and without booze! That is huge!

Check out the "Alcoholism" forum and the stickies over there too! We are so glad that you found us and there is a lot of ESH here for you to grab onto while you start your journey!

Keep posting!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on the soon to be baby!

There are lots of informative links on this site and you can learn a lot from the forums. So now that you have made the decision to stop drinking, how do you plan to follow through? You might not have an answer to that yet but start thinking about it.

Welcome again, SR is a safe and supportive environment - keep coming back!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi michaelza, I'm a binge drinker to. It took me a while to realize just because I don't drink everyday, and can in fact go long periods of time without drinking, that I am really no different than someone who drinks everyday. I still have no control over alcohol. I thought I did...but now looking back I'm not sure how much control I had over it while drinking the 14th or 15th beer on a saturday afternoon...
I had to make sure I scheduled in enough down time to recover from the binge so I could make it to work...this, to me, meant most sundays were usually spent laying low, hurting and detoxing in a dark room...that sucks!
By not drinking this past weekend was able to go golfing on sunday which was awesome!
Good luck with your new found sobriety and congrats on the impending family!!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! :ghug
Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Welcome Michael!

You sound like you really understand the danger of not taking serious action now. And you sound absoultely bound and determined. Good job putting your new baby and your partner before your alcohol. With the histories on both your GF's side and yours, you will be giving your baby a very precious gift by breaking that cycle.

If you find yourself struggling with abstinence, you might go to an AA meeting. I've found them very valuable. And there are plenty of people in AA who were binge drinkers like you.

I wish you luck and happiness,
MLE
Old 05-22-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael, and best wishes with trying to make big changes to your life.
Loads of decent folk here with advice and support.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! Lots of good folks and good info here. Come here instead of drinking and the support can help you thru it.:ghug3
Old 05-23-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR