Notices

So What Would You Do?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So What Would You Do?

If you could do anything in life that you wanted to do? I am slowly realizing that one of the advantages to sobering up is the realization that I can actually accomplish things, and shape my life to suit my preferences. I do believe that I must maintain sobriety though to live life to its fullest potential. If I could do anything in the world I wanted, I would keep the same job. I am too nosy to be anything other than a PI but I would do a lot more pro bono work. More importantly, I would buy a big ranch and take in dogs from shelters whose time is up. If I could get them adopted out, fine, and if not, that would be ok, they would never again have to worry about a place to live. And my fellow animal lovers in recovery could come out to the ranch and help out as a way to deal with anxiety and depression. I mean not that you'd have to be a recovering addict to volunteer at my ranch, but they would be welcome. Yeah, that's what I'd do.

What would you guys do?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fallingdown that is great! I would volunteer there if I lived closer. I volunteer currently at a ranch that takes in abused and neglected horses. I love it when people have hearts to rescue innocent animals.

I would learn how to scuba dive if I could do anything I wanted to. I do hope to one day. I think I'll make a list of things to do before I die. You've inspired me. Great post!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post!!

I'm with you on the animal thing. I would love to have a place where I could take all the dogs and cats that didn't have homes and just take care of them....then combine that with some program for kids who have it rough. Nothing like the unconditional love of an animal to bring out the best in folks!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You guys, that's so cool! I'd adopt a few dogs whose time had come up! I DO so love animals! They provide unconditional LOVE!

Horselover, scuba diving is awesome. There's a whole world underwater that's BEAUTIFUL! Which brings me to what would I do:

I'd start a foundation to help save the planet and all of God's creatures that inhabit it. I'm really not sure what specifically the foundation would do; I'd probably focus on education and getting private industry involved.

Thanks for a really cool post.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree, I love all critters (besides snakes) but especially dogs.I just like to think about all the different ways I would make this world a better place if I was rich. However I did forget to add that I would have a beach house with a cabana boy to bring me cherry limeades and paint my toenails. I would allow myself that one indulgence.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay fallingdown - I'm right there with you on the beach house and cabana boy. LOL! You're great!!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

mm... if i could do ANYTHING i wanted, i would snowboard professionally. as it goes, i'm trying to work at a lift next season. i'd travel all over india and nepal, thailand, australia, etc. etc. i'd bring the haze dog with me, adopt animals along the way, and eventually work in public schools with high risk kids.

rock!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That would be awsome to save animals. I even like snakes but I hate picking out their dinner.

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to own a pet store.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love that we have so many kind and adventurous souls here at SR. Thank you everyone for your responses. I can't stop thinking about that cherry limemade. I might have to run to Sonic even if it means being served by a girl on roller skates instead of my cabana boy!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

become a supreme court justice

study social psychology
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ananda you've got a great school there in Manhattan if that's what you want to do. That is where my husband is from incidentally, we'll be out that way over the weekend.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

1. KU has a law school (YEAH - i'm originally from Lawrence and worked at the law school)

2. I'm 50 this fall so.....UG degree minimum 4 years LS minimum 3 years cost in loans - priceless.....so I'll save that one for my next life:rof

If you are going to be in Manhattan....send me a pm and maybe we can go out for coffee or catch a meeting if you do those.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Let's see. I think that I would have me blues club. Every night I would play an handful of blues riffs then turn it on over to BB or Pinetop. Keb Mo would headline for me. We could jam with all of the legends. Past and present. Buddy Guy, Albert King, John Lee Hooker and Lightning Hopkins. Missiissippi Slim would play the dobro. Etta james and Susan Tadeschi. And my old buddy Son Thomas. We would have cherry limeaids and lemongrass tea and we sat back and indulged.

And everyone could bring their pets with them as well. I mean after all - CATS RULE - right???

Peace.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

DADDIO even though you cheat at Scrabble I bet you are one kool cat. That sounds like a really good time. Say, would you allow people to bring their cabana boys? Or do we have to bring our husbands? lol
Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Blues, cherry limeaid, cabana boy, beach house, snowboarding, animals - Can I have it all?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Daddio - Count me in as a regular. I LOVE blues!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Well, when I get my little bistro opened up in the next few week we will just have to plan up some blues under the stars out on the deck. And you're all invited. Bring cabana boys, dogs, cats, lizards or whatever. Just one big happy, bluesey, sober bunch of folks.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is a lovely thread, Fallingdown!

When I recover, I would like to go to catering school and learn to be a chef.

My dream job would be to work as a chef on the Orient Express railway, getting dressed up in a sparkling white chef's outfit and cooking lots of lovely meals for all the passengers.

And see lots of interesting places along the way...
Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I want to travel to awesome places I have read of and feel drawn to. The Valley of the Winds in Australia is on my list.

I love my life today, but if I have a dream for tomorrow it would be to walk through the Valley of the Winds with my camera, hiking for several days....at 105 years of age...with all of you walking with me.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'd love to buy old delapidated houses and restore them to their historical specs.

I absolutely love haunted places.