Notices

Day 1

Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I have made it for 24 hours. Today was not exactly a walk in the park. The panic kicked in while I was driving to work this morning, but I made it in one piece. I was cranky and not terribly sociable, which is not like me. I was a littles shaky this morning, but I'm not feeling shaky, or anything else, right now, which I find amazing, given the daily amount of alchohol that I have consumed in the past months. I am curious as to others' experiences. Did it get worse or better after the first 24 hours for you? I came straight home, turned on the computer and came to the forum. It was good to see that I am not the only newbie, and that other people have been dealing with some of the same issues.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

There are tons of ppl just like you. Good for you! I kicked opitates 4 months ago today. you can do this one day at a time! have you tried AA? It is sooo encouraging to pick up those chips you get at 30, 60, 90 days etc...blessings Sheila
Old 05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey flgirl. I know that you are desperately searching for answers right now about where all of this is going. I bet that if 1000 folks on here told one thing then 1000 more would tell you something different. The recovery techniques are as varied as the individuals in recovery. The main this is staying focused on your desire to kick the living *%#$ out of that monkey on your back!!!!

During my first 24 hours I seem to recall that I was just a tad angry. That very quickly diminished into a feeling of joy and peace that has enveoped me since. I do believe that for me that was God taking care of me. You know the footsteps in the sand kinda thing.

The main thing is you are now gaining control. One step at a time. Just like draining the pond. One spoonful at a time. Hang in there.

Keep us informed. You have a whole lotta folks pulling for you.

Daddio.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Good for you!

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all of your kindness and words of wisdom. I am starting to feel a bit less alone in this. I've been home for about an hour and still have not given into the urge to run to the store for a bottle of wine. I've made myself stay glued to the computer and read the posts. I know AA says "One day at a time", but right now it feels more like one minute at a time...LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sometimes it IS one minute at a time, then one hour, then one day. It's a process. You're doing great!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there...ride is still gonna be bumpy...you'll just know when to break sooner....Best wishes! Just for today...all day...one day at a time.....
Old 05-19-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sitting here, reading, and sipping a ginger ale, with nothing in it, which is something new, feels weird.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My first couple of weeks sober, I drank more iced tea than I had in the past 2 years! LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is not easy to do something different...it feels DIFFERENT! I am happy to hear that the support of places like this is helping! I know that early on this online stuff saved my butt! I could read, vent, read, vent...vent some more! LOL

This is a good day... Live it well.

T
Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Some people have to have medical help through withdrawal in case they seizure. Just
make sure you let your doctor know you are withdrawing so they can check your vitals.
I was a very heavy drinker and did not have any seizures but my blood pressure def went up and I felt nauseous, confused and very panicky with little sleep. Withdrawal symptoms
vary from person to person but your nervous system is out of whack and this is the
bodies way of reacting to the change.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Congrats on your decision flgirl

After the initial ups and downs of withdrawl, which by the way sounds like you're doing great, you will be living a life that you never, ever dreamed possible.

I think the thing that hit me first and foremost is what you mentioned about drinking a ginger ale. All of the new experiences that you are going to have are so cool. I remember I used to really wonder what it would be like to wake up in the morning, every day, without being sick, shaky, 6itchy, . . . and then to go through the day without rushing to get out of work or wherever I was that prevented me from drinking.

Right now, there will be many one minutes at a time, but that's to be expected. Your emotions are gonna be on a roller coaster ride and that's all a part of it. Roll with it, if you wanna cry, cry, wanna laugh, by all means laugh! And if you can't identify your feeling . . . . welcome.

We've all been there. And we're all here for you. You are by no means alone in this.

God Bless & Keep it Simple,
Judy
Old 05-19-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can certainly identify with the " ...rushing to get out of work or wherever that was preventing me from drinking"...it's seems like that's all I've done..plan my life around my drinking.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flgirl View Post
I have made it for 24 hours. Today was not exactly a walk in the park. The panic kicked in while I was driving to work this morning, but I made it in one piece. I was cranky and not terribly sociable, which is not like me. I was a littles shaky this morning, but I'm not feeling shaky, or anything else, right now, which I find amazing, given the daily amount of alchohol that I have consumed in the past months. I am curious as to others' experiences. Did it get worse or better after the first 24 hours for you? I came straight home, turned on the computer and came to the forum. It was good to see that I am not the only newbie, and that other people have been dealing with some of the same issues.
Congratulations Flgirl!!! That's great! Keep up the good work and come back often. I certainly do. I keep my computer on all day and can check it with a glance whenever I pass by. Its kind of addictive. Ought oh! Better addiction then the last though. I am on day 7 and for whatever reason I had my moment today where I really was craving that glass of wine, BUT husband, son and I went out to Wal-Mart after supper and then to DQ for blizzards. Got to love that! It was 84 degrees today and going up to 88 tonight. I used to never go anywhere after dinner because, as I said before, the first drink was 4 pm and the last one was just before I turned in at night. I have so much more time and so will you.

Keep us posted and it will keep you going. Hugs to you!!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So nice to meet you, Flgirl

Just finished a glass of diet tonic water with lime -- MY new "drink" of choice. It's bitter enough to satisfy my craving MOST of the time.

The reading and posting really works for me too.

Looking forward to getting to know you!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well the good news is that I haven't gone to to store to buy a bottle of wine. The bad news is that I am not in the least bit tired. I have been up since 4 am and would like nothing better than to curl up and go to sleep. I guess I have been so dependent on the alcohol to send me off to la la land that my body is not too happy right now.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Me too! Every time I've stopped drinking -- I've had trouble sleeping the first week or so and then it got easier.

I'm on day 1 again, so I'm pretty wired right now like you. I'm about ready to grab a book and crawl into bed at least. I figure if I'm horizontal, maybe that will help.

Being tired is a trigger for me, so I don't want to stay up too late.

It's not good news that you haven't gone out for a bottle of wine... IT'S GREAATTTT!!!! I know -- I sound like Tony the Tiger, but it's true!!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome flgirl!! If you read a lot of the threads here, you'll find that trouble sleeping in early recovery is very common. Most of us had become used to so many depressants in our systems that when we stopped drinking or drugging (or both) we couldn't settle down to sleep for quite some time. Try to roll with it, though, and play some music and just rest if you can't sleep. Welcome to SR!!
kj
Old 05-20-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Whoa

Originally Posted by flgirl View Post
I can certainly identify with the " ...rushing to get out of work or wherever that was preventing me from drinking"...it's seems like that's all I've done..plan my life around my drinking.
Pretty scary, huh? I know this to well.