Notices

I'm 23 and I want to stop.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm 23 and I want to stop.

I know 23 is pretty young to be considered an alcoholic but my drinking has caused me so many problems so far.

I've lost jobs, caused family problems, been arrested for drinking and driving twice, gotten in fights and been convicted of an assault that I dont even remember doing. I black out alot when i drink and its really scary.

I've been drinking very heavily for over 7 years now and I really want to stop but I dont know how.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi emex4! Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of information on this site, and a lot of support! There are so many options to help you. You can find an AA meeting where you live, there are treatment options, (inpatient/outpatient), there are other non-12 step recovery groups. I am not an expert, but, there are a ton of people on this site who can give you some different ideas.

This site has so much information, I would suggest that you just keep reading, noodle around here, and you'll start to get some ideas for you. I don't think that there is a one sure way for everyone.

I wouldn't advise "cold turkey", although some have done this and been fine, but, it can be very dangerous. If you go to see your doctor, and be honest with him/her, he could advise you the best. Going into treatment is a good option because they can monitor you (medically) to make sure you are safe while detoxing.

This may not help much, but, stay here with us. It's early in the morning now, and I would bet that many, many hugs and prayers, and support and advise will be coming your way very soon.

Stay here and keep posting.

And, again, WELCOME!!!!:ghug3
Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a good thread for you to start on:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...need-stop.html

Lots of good information being given there! See, you aren't alone! Someone else new, in your shoes, just where we all either are ourselves, or were!

Hang in there,
Honu
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

My AA group has teen members ...it's not unusal
to be both alcoholic and young.

It's wise of you to seek a way to quit
The quicker the easier to find a productive sober future.

An honest talk with your doctor is a good move
De toxing alone can be dangerous.

Glad you are here with us....
Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR emex! So glad that you found us!
Glad that you decided to seek help/advice....you have come to the right place!

Being young and being aware that there is a problem in your life is a HUGE plus IMHO!

I know that there are people out there ready to welcome you with open arms and guide
you on your journey! And SR is a great START!

Please check out the other forums and our Alcoholism forum-there are stickies at the top of the forums that are a wealth of information!

Know you are not alone!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Queen of Leesburg

Wow...you are incredible! Good for you! You are clear-sighted enough to see what has been a problem for you and get help while you are still young...before you wreck too many of your relationships or kids etc. What a gift. I thought I was lucky to have the opportunity at 27 but 23 is even better. You need to do 2 things. See a Dr. and get to an AA meeting. I guarantee you will see all sorts of people in the meeting and you will feel like you are in the right place. People in AA love new folks. Your attendance helps keep everyone in the rooms sober. And sometimes there is cake and coffee (I know it is tacky for me to mention this but I like cake and coffee). Keep writing and the folks here will help the best they can. Lots of good wishes heading your way...
bigred
Old 05-19-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're not alone here. I am 23 as well, and on day 2 of sobriety. Although I may not have the same problems, I too have endured pain, loss of friends, basically the loss of my personal life as a result of my drinking.

I've lost my closest friends because they didn't know/understand how to help me and be there. Right now I'm working on eliminating the poisonous people from my life. People that don't care about me no longer have a place in my life.

I know how hard it is to find yourself in this place at our age. So many people in their early 20's just want to go out and drink. They simply can't find any other ways to occupy themselves (not sure why I say they, I would be included in that).

I know how it feels to be the only one not drinking, and the questions that arise. I've tried stopping before, the longest I lasted was 2 weeks.

Just believe that you can do this and stay on the path to sobriety.

PM me if needed :-)
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, emex. i have a daughter your age who has the same situation as you. alcohol and cocaine use has served her the same consequences as you. there are a lot of young people here at sr and in aa. recovery is possible.

nice to meet you also, sadandalone. my daughter is not choosing recovery right now, so i get a lot of hope when young folks post here. keep sharing your story!

hugs, k

Last edited by parentrecovers; 05-19-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Have you had to do any treatment for court? Your attorney (if you had one) might have some referrals for outpatient or inpatient options.

You might want to check in with your local Dr. to talk about the blackouts and health issues from drinking, they should have referrals and suggestions such as treatment and AA. You can try online or in the phone book for Alcohol and Drug Treatment counselors as well.

Another suggestion is look into AA. There are probably meetings in your area (depending upon how far north you are) and you can read up on alcoholism. This link should work - Alcoholics Anonymous

The desire to quit is all you need to start, I would use Sober Recovery and the other tools the people here suggest as a springboard for your sobriety.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community. I was in serious trouble in my late teens from drinking. I waited until I was 33 to seek help. You are wise to seek help now. You've been given some great information from the above posters. Please continue to connect with us here as you enter this new chapter of your life.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Wecome to SR emex4. You have found a good place with tons of good advice.

Originally Posted by emex4 View Post
....I know 23 is pretty young to be considered an alcoholic ....
I have niece that went to rehab, the first time, for alcohol, pot, coke and H at age 17! So yes, you can be an alcoholic at 23. Don't do like me though and go this thing cold turkey. Although it worked for me, I do not suggest that you try it. Go see your doctor and have an honest talk with him or her and get a program started.

Please stay with us here and keep us posted.

Daddio Sober since 23 October 2006!!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

em, i got sober when i was 21. i'm 23 now, and i've had more ridiculous good times sober than i could've ever imagined. there is so much joy in getting sober, especially as a young person. it's worth it, absolutely.

best of luck - you're in for an adventure!