Notices

help finding help

Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help finding help

Hello Everyone,
I am new here and need some help in finding help. My husband mentioned that he needs some outside help to stop being addicted. He went through a horrible treatment 2 years ago for Hep C. He self medicated to help him get through. Now he's stuck. We are looking for a program or councilor to help us get him off the stuff. We are pretty much broke and need to find help that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Is there any place in the Phoenix, AZ area that can help at little or no cost? We can't really afford to have him go to a rehab center either as he needs to work. Please help us find help!
Thank you,
Tired in AZ
Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, tired. have you called the salvation army? your local ymca? maybe they can help you or point you in the right direction. is he going to aa or na? those are free.

be sure to find time to take care of yourself too. my daughter is an alcoholic/addict, and alanon meetings really help me.

hugs, k
Old 05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

As parentrecovers said, your husband could check out the Salvation Army. They have a free program for addiction recovery.

For yourself, you might want to check out the Friends and Families forums for support.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suggest you call NA. You can go along with him to a meeting if you want if it's an open meeting. I just went to the Phoenix NA site and counted 35 meetings for today alone. There were just as many or more meetings every day there, starting at 6am and going late into the night. The helpline is (480) 897-4636 for Phoenix NA. Go to arizona-na.org/meetings/valley.html for more details. Good luck!
KJ
Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. I will look into the Salvation Army. We aren't the religious type so I'm not sure NA or AA would work for us with the Higher Power. But if that's what we need to do, then we will do it. Thanks again.
Tired
Old 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
AA is not a religious program, although I understand it's difficult to interpret it any other way. In my opinion, the use of the words "Higher Power" only suggests that we find a God of our own understanding.

This is where I attend meetings in Scottsdale North Scottsdale Fellowship Club - Home-Home Most days there are over a dozen meetings available at the Club, and as it's been mentioned those meetings are free, or you can put a $1 in the basket when it's passed.

Hope to see you at a meeting, and welcome to SR. I look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Check out treatment centers that provide outpatient treatment either in the yellow pages or online. Other resources include the Maricopa County Department of Health, the Office of Public Defense or even the court. They often deal with low income people who need treatment - they might have some referrals.