Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Doing alright, drinking a lil, but coping and living life alright

Notices

Doing alright, drinking a lil, but coping and living life alright

Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

One morning a man woke up in jail. After a blackout, he was coming too in familiar surroundings only this time it was different. He learned that day, after years of successfully drinking and driving, he'd crossed a line he'd never considered.

That day he learned he had rear ended a car and pushed it into the path of an oncoming train. A mother, father and three children were gone. That was his bottom. I pray it's not yours.

That story has been told to me many times by my sponsor. It was told to him in rehab many years ago and he says it was the one lead that shook him to the core and to this day reminds him of a little word ...yet...as in it hasn't happened, yet. I'm convinced I could very well, but for the grace of God, been that man in that jail that morning.

On a happy note, I have the supreme honor of giving my sponsor his 25 year token this Thursday.

Magic,

Fear is a terrible thing but once you face it, it has no power. Go get a sponsor, go get the help you need, it's all there waiting for you. Go do it man!!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey MagicMan. You should consider changing your tag line to something other than "Stand-Up Guy".. Because you are being everything BUT stand up. The fact that you drink while so severerly impaired that you are blacking is just beyond my comprehension. I pray that you don't murder someone any time soon!

Common law murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a human person with malice aforethought if the defendant acts with any of the following states of mind:

(i) Intent to kill; (ii) Intent to inflict serious bodily harm; (iii) Reckless indifference to an unjustifiably high risk to human life (abandoned and malignant heart); or (iv) Intent to commit a felony (felony-murder doctrine).

.....in California where an individual could be convicted of second-degree murder if he or she kills another person while operating a motor vehicle while being under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or controlled substances.

Walking the fence is risky business, especially if you fall down the middle! If you are hear seeking advice from an old geezer then you have struck pay dirt. All I ask from you is a decision. That being a life of sobriety and recovery or a life of drunkeness. I do believe that it is the common goal here to help people that want to get sober and to encourage them during their recovery journey.

I want to see you get your life under control and now is the time for you to pony up. Excuse me, Stand-Up...

Peace.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:04 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I must admit that I am speechless. This thread is maddening. I think everyone else said everything that I am thinking. Get a grip.

Honu
Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 353 View Post
Fear is a terrible thing
Devils & Dust - Bruce Springsteen

I got my finger on the trigger
But I don't know who to trust
When I look into your eyes
There's just devils and dust
We're a long, long way from home, Bobbie
Home's a long, long way from us
I feel a dirty wind blowing
Devils and dust

I got God on my side
And I'm just trying to survive
What if what you do to survive
Kills the things you love
Fear's a powerful thing, baby
It can turn your heart black you can trust
It'll take your God filled soul
And fill it with devils and dust

Well I dreamed of you last night
In a field of blood and stone
The blood began to dry
The smell began to rise
Well I dreamed of you last night, Bobbie
In a field of mud and bone
Your blood began to dry
And the smell began to rise

We've got God on our side
We're just trying to survive
Fear's a powerful thing
It'll turn your heart black you can trust
Fill it with devils and dust

Now every woman and every man
They wanna take a righteous stand
Find the love that God wills
And the faith that He commands
I've got my finger on the trigger
And tonight faith just ain't enough
When I look inside my heart
There's just devils and dust

Well I've got God on my side
And I'm just trying to survive
Fear's a dangerous thing
It can turn your heart black you can trust
Yeah it'll take your God filled soul
Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
So I am only drinking in little bits now, rarely talk to the girlfriend. I kind of agree that like making it the forbidden fruit, almost makes me want it more.

I d'no it is my nature to like to get buzzed up, and I am a relatively pure user yet....minus a couple of things.

I still get that tendency to drink and drive tho, just this last Tuesday, I drank and drove like an 18 pack deep. I was blacked out through most of it, but I know in my mind I KNEW i was confident enough to drive and I am sure did just fine.

But later my brother called and said one of his buddies passed me,and he was asking if i was alright, so I donno what is up. Jus an update, still going to meetings, pretty much have lost all contact with my ex. I see it as a transition into a new better me.

Maybe when you kill someone because your selfish to the core self likes to drink and drive you'll wake up.I know more about you right now than you know about yourself.I am willing to help you, but I will not sit by and let outrageous posts like this go unchecked. You appear to be suffering from alcoholic insanity and are delusional. Stop f*cking around with other folks lives.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
mle-sober

"I know more about you right now than you know about yourself." - Rob B.

Boy, I second that one. This is hard to read but I honestly think that Magic Man is sort of playing with us and that his self awareness is not as dismal as it sounds. Surely no one would intentionally allow themselves the right to drink and drive. That would be like saying that well, I really enjoy shooting people so I don't care if someone dies. I want to live my life however I want to live my life. I don't really believe he could honestly think that's ok. That would take a psychotic ego.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The best advice I have for you MM

move to a city ...sell your car...use public transportation/walk

Driving is a privledge for responsible people.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

I am burying this thread. The more I think about this the less I want to. I do believe magik person that your narcissistic self is playing this crowd like a bunch of fools! Friendly advice, get a good lawyer.