# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

For Those With Less than 2 weeks Sober Part 3

Here is Part 2:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-21.html
Old 05-10-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome FizzyWater! Hope you get a good night sleep. I'm hoping I do too, haven't had one for a few days. I'm just doing my last check-in for the day. Hope everyone here had a good and sober day.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Man, I had a rough morning. Felt very overwhelmed. Wanted to drink very badly. I totally forgot how good an AA meeting can be. Stuck around and fellowshipped afterwards, and that really helped too... I'm so glad I've structured people into my day... I'm going to hit another meeting tonight... A tough day 6, but I'm determined to make it!

My sponsor and I are working on "Being Friendly" today. It's kind of funny, because I'm a friendly guy. But now I've got to do it extra, and all the time. I'm finding it very helpful.

I hope everyone is doing well. Thanks for the new thread, Anna!

-- NM
Old 05-11-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Still here anyway, slept better than I expected, lots of sweats though and stomach still feels rough. Half way through day 3 now, realised I'm on a different time zone to most of you guys, its nearly sunday lunchtime with me.

Reading a great book " Back from the Brink " the autoboigraphy of Paul McGrath who was an alcoholic footballer ( Soccer to most of you ) which is helping me through the tougher times.

Be harder tomorrow when I'm back at work as well, been in the house for last 3 days but the habit of popping into a shop on the way home for a bottle will need to be broken.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 4 for me!

Glad to see you here today Fizzy! This forum gets all time zones, it's great. Keep us posted on how you like your book.

NM, I'm glad your meeting made you feel better and that you hung in here with me.

Love to everyone else too.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Cheers ROFL , reckon the key is keeping busy and not dropping the guard. Here in Scotland you cant buy drink on a sunday until 12.30. Had to check myself as I saw a clock around 12.15 and the brain automatically says 15 mins till you can go get some beer.

Caught it though, just have to stay on guard.

Its funny though, the stomach cramps and fuzzy head and sweats are actually nothing compared to some of the hangovers I've worked through. Guess the only difference with a hangover is you promise yourself a drink when you gat home.

Hopefully catch you tomorrow
Old 05-11-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, keeping busy helps keep your mind off things! I catch myself telling myself it's time for a drink ALL the time. I'm trying to replace it with, I need to take a walk, or something else.

Anyway, hang in there. It's worth it. I know!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm 24 and I'm an alcoholic. I haven't drank since Friday night. My company had an open bar party, and I got really drunk. I don't even enjoy drinking, but yet I still do it. So this is my attempt to get sober.

I've tried more times than I can count, and each time 'I really mean it'. The longest I've gone in the past 4 years is 45 days. And that was a very very long 45 days.

I tend to binge drink, so I'm usually okay with the day to day. We'll see. I'm sick of trying and failing, so I'm going to find a psychologist, and probably get started on AA (even though I'm very atheist)
Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi kiwi! and Welcome (back?). I'm working the AA steps but am not really doing the AA program (meetings and all). The religious aspect of it had been very hard for me to swallow, but admitting that there is a power greater than me is fairly easy. I just can't seem to call that Higher Power "God" - even though it is, He is, one and the same.

I'm glad you're seeking to quit as such a young age! Hang in here with the rest of us.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got a week! 9 meetings in that time helped a lot. I'm very grateful tonight! Good night everyone.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi guys, love and support to you all!

Day 19 for me. Today feels a little easier so far, lol. Its been really hard coming back from the relapse.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 5 for me. Going somewhat strong. Just very emotional.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi everyone (and welcome Kiwi and FizzyWater!)

Just wanted to check in. Friday and Saturday went well, but yesterday was not so good. I was on my allotment and my neighbour on the plot next to me came across and offered me a drink. It caught me unprepared - I should have kept it simple and said "Sorry, but I'm an alcoholic". But I panicked and slipped up, and today I really don't like myself at all.

But I'm trying to stay positive - I know I mustn't give in to self-pity (I remember this phrase from other people's posts: "poor me, poor me, pour me a drink"). I've got to try to have the bounce-backability of a bouncy ball and my bouncing back begins with an AA meeting tonight at 7.30...

Hope everyone is doing better than me! Lots of love and support to you all. Well done ROFL for your 5 days, NM for a week and stone for 19 days - this is great! Gives me a real incentive to keep trying.

And thanks Anna for the new thread. I'm going to stick around here in the "2 weeks and under thread" - I hope I will graduate soon!!!

Your little friend
Paddington
Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. Great thread. Starting over again, for me. Day 1, again.......

Honu
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Paddington. Thanks for your share. It's tough for sure. The alcoholic mind is always looking for an angle to slip through... the key is to keep trying. And keep posting here. That will help no matter what... And honesty too. And you're doing that great.

So Paddington and Honu. Keep at it!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I am so grateful to see you all here posting.

Thank you for your sharing in this thread. You are all helping me to stay sober today.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Checking in, made it through day 4, not as bad as I thought it was going to be, meeting at work first thing and I'm paranoid they all notice I've still got a wee shake about me. Funny how at the last monthly meeting I was no doubt half cut and I don't remember worrying that anyone would notice that !!!

Hard bit was breaking the buying some drink on the way home pattern, got myself home though and it was nice reading the kids a story without a voice in the back of my mind saying " the sooner you finish this the sooner you can pour a drink "

Convinced we're doing the right thing, I already feel happier about myself, remember this feeling when I stopped for 70 days last year though and it didn't stop me being back drinking every day again for 9 months. Just got to not get complacent I reckon, hopefully checking in here will keep me straight.

Thanks for the welcome Paddington and support ROFL and all you other folks whose posts are helping me keep going. Apologies this has got quite long now.

Everyone hang in there, hope to catch you'se tomorrow
Old 05-12-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 9

Well, here I am on day 9! Still sober!!! It gets a lot easier with each day that passes by!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Well done Wizard, good to know it gets easier, think I'm better just looking at tomorrow and getting through day 5 for now though.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
DES

Day 9 again for me and feel pretty good right now. ...... but I still have a big ole bottle of Bacardi Dark hidden in my closet. Why am I doing this, I really do want to quit.

Doug