Notices

For Those With Less than 2 weeks Sober Part 3

Old 05-19-2008, 05:15 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hey Jeeplady, I understand you being afraid, but know you will be among loving, caring, and certainly non-judgmental people. They will be a comfort to you and you will forge new friendships. Please let us know how you make out. I'll be thinking of you!!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi Jeeplady!

Well done for going to an AA meeting! I'm still quite new to attending AA, but I always feel quite safe there. Looking forward to hearing how it went.

PB
Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

AAArrgghh!!!

I screwed up Friday and Saturday nights. I got a bit harsh with others because I was so disappointed in myself. How did this madness ever take over? One day 2 again!!! AAaarrggghh! Thank you all for your sharing and insights.

I don't think I would have made it this far if I didn't realize how widespread and insidious this disease is on people.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hey Neg Man, well done, hopefully join you and ROFL in your new thread on friday, thats day 11 over with already. Here lies my problem though, getting complacent, as Justsomeguy mentioned the wee voice starts telling me I'm in control of this the longer I keep going.

"Surely I could have a drink tonight it says, won't be a problem, I just stop again don't I"

Fell for that last time after 70 days and nearly 9 months later here I am trying to stop again ( I had a few attempts in between but rarely lasted more than a day or 2 at the most ) As Negman says, its not easy but its simple, I just don't drink, feel well and the world feels a better place.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Welcome Pupmum

Thank you, I hadn't looked back through my old posts, my day 3 feels so long ago now but its really just a week. Hang in, I reckon day 5/6 was the turning point, it got easier after that, once you feel healthy I reckon you lose a bit of the urge for a drink.

I definately used to have a drink, not because I enjoyed it but to take away the ill feeling from the days before drink, then you have another, and another etc etc feel ill again the next day and so the horrible cycle goes on until you bite the bullet and do something about it hence we're here.

Actually got home tonight with no thoughts of stopping off to buy drink at all, just thoughts of how I can spend an enjoyable evening, not one which desents into a haze before waking up tomorrow to be sick. Lot cheaper on the pennies as well.

Posting here every night just keeps me focused on what I'm trying to do.

I've finished that book I mentioned in that post as well " Back from the Brink " the autobiography of Paul McGrath. Good read, amazing that a guy who was an alcoholic at the time can play professional sport at the very highest level while still drinking.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings guys, stay well all of you, hopefully check in tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Five days today - does it matter?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support everyone. I'm sending it back your way. I'm so much happier than I was 15 days ago.

So keep bringing it, one day at a time. We're close to graduating a lot of people over the next two weeks. There's another thread waiting for you.

-- NM
Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey again all.

day 6 down, starting day 7.

It's great to see so many people here pulling for each other.

Paddington, Negman, thanks for the support, Fizz keep it up we learn from our mistakes, Least, day 5 is a big hump to get over, you should be proud. Detox is pretty much done and you can start getting back to what should be normal. Congrats!

I had a good day today came home from a productive day at work and managed to stop off at home depot, pick up paint, and paint a spare bedroom with my wife tonight. It was fun, amazing what you can get done when your sober!

The last couple times over the last two years I got on here when I was trying to quit I would stop posting here when I thought I had it beat (a few days) I realize I never did, so I'm going to stick around this time.

I guess it's like the saying goes insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I've had the idea more times than I can count that I had kicked my immature abuse pattern with alcohol and that I was ready to drink responsibly.

I realize now I'm just not wired that way, I can't do it, so no sense trying to convince myself otherwise this time. I guess I've come to grips with my limits. Time to grow up.

I'm feeling better about it every day.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:50 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello two-weekers. Had a really rough one yesterday. Anxiety built up and built up until I was heading for the refrigerator for my husband's beer. I just kept telling myself NO and I ended up avoiding it. Thanks mostly to you here - you are all part of my Higher Power.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

The last couple times over the last two years I got on here when I was trying to quit I would stop posting here when I thought I had it beat (a few days) I realize I never did, so I'm going to stick around this time.

I guess it's like the saying goes insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I've had the idea more times than I can count that I had kicked my immature abuse pattern with alcohol and that I was ready to drink responsibly.

I realize now I'm just not wired that way, I can't do it, so no sense trying to convince myself otherwise this time. I guess I've come to grips with my limits. Time to grow up.
JUST what I was thinking!!!! Thanks for putting it out there so well.

Had to begin again -- so today's DAY 2.

Congrats on getting to #7!!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by ROFL View Post
Hello two-weekers. Had a really rough one yesterday. Anxiety built up and built up until I was heading for the refrigerator for my husband's beer. I just kept telling myself NO and I ended up avoiding it. Thanks mostly to you here - you are all part of my Higher Power.
You stay strong ROFL, I've got kind o used to you being one day ahead of me so I don't want you deserting me now !!!!!!!! Looking forward to joining you and in negmans new thread. Well done on getting through it though, proves your healing.

Thats day 12 done, can totally relate to Someguys post, its getting it into your head that drinking responsible is not a good option that has to hit home. I'm sure I could have a couple of beers tonight and be fine, trouble is it would be 3 tomorrow night, 4 on friday and right back into the whole cycle of it by the weekend. Don't want to go back to that place.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=FizzyWater;1777514]You stay strong ROFL, I've got kind o used to you being one day ahead of me so I don't want you deserting me now !!!!!!!! Looking forward to joining you and in negmans new thread. Well done on getting through it though, proves your healing.QUOTE]

Thanks Fizzy! Day 14!!! Tomorrow I joint NM and Friday so do you! And I know that everyone else here is just a few days behind that!

I'm proud of my classmates! ((((((((((((all))))))))))))
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Congratulations on reaching Day 14, ROFL! Wow! That's brilliant!!!

Well done you! ((((((ROFL))))))
Old 05-21-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sewer Dweller

Day 2, which will be the first day out of my routine. I usually drink every other day. Im doing this without meetings, I am sure I can do it. crossed fingers, the evening is going to be tough... the GF is gone all night. Just me alone with my thoughts and boredom. I think the dog and I are going to check out the beach.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Welcome Fireyes! I'll have my fingers crossed for you too. Glad you found this thread! There's something about having people around you that are in the same boat - we keep eachother afloat.

If the evening gets too tough, log on here! It usually keeps me away from the temptation.

The beach is also a kool place for that.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hey, congratulations on day 14 ROFL. That's awesome... I made it through day 16 here. It was a long workday, and I was really beat when I got home... Keep going everyone: I know that 2 weeks might seems like a long time. I've got 14 days to go before I can stop raising my hand as a newcomer at AA meetings. 2 weeks seems like a long time!... But it's not. One day at a time... Don't drink today.

-- NM
Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hello everybody!!!

Day three for me. Thanks, as always, for your posts! I've only been able to pop in and out for short periods of time, so I end up spending most of me time reading for support/advice encouragement.

I want to say, however, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK and I'm thinking of you ALL as I continue this journey...
Old 05-21-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hard day at work today, really crappy, its over now though and most importantly I didn't need a drink. Day 13 done.

Good to see everyone still hanging in here, stay well folks
Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Sorry you had a hard day FizzyWater. Glad you didn't drink.
NewLeaf, anytime you make it on here is great. Keep at it!
((((((Paddington)))))), my good friend, thank you for the well-wishes! I'm very proud of you!
JustSomeGuy - how is your day 8?
Horselover, JeepLady, Pupmum, Least, SteamVessel and everyone else come on come on come on!

Love you guys!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sewer Dweller

!

Last edited by Fireyes; 05-21-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: belongs in another thread