Notices

For Those With Less than 2 weeks Sober Part 3

Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ROFL View Post
Hi kiwi! and Welcome (back?). I'm working the AA steps but am not really doing the AA program (meetings and all). The religious aspect of it had been very hard for me to swallow, but admitting that there is a power greater than me is fairly easy. I just can't seem to call that Higher Power "God" - even though it is, He is, one and the same.

I'm glad you're seeking to quit as such a young age! Hang in here with the rest of us.
Thanks! I'm very very happy to be back. Today is day 3 for me. And I am going to start AA on Wednesday. I've never gone before and I'm very very atheist, so we'll see how that goes. Really I just need to meet some people who are in my situation. I don't have anyone in real life who I can go to about this.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I made it through day 8. Yay!

And yes everyone, it does get a lot easier after day 5. Just don't go it alone. Reach out here on the board and at AA if you feel comfortable there.

It's wonderful to have a place to check in.

-- NM
Old 05-13-2008, 02:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Well done Wizard and Doug for 9 days, NM 8 days, Fizzywater 4 days and Kiwi 3 days - your posts are really encouraging me to keep at it.

I feel so happy today because I didn't drink last night, which means I'm into a brand new day 2.

I know it's just a baby step, but it was a challenge because I still had lots of beers left in the fridge from my latest relapse on Sunday. My hands were trembling as I put them all in a big sack - without opening any - and got rid of them.

I'm sure it's only because I went to an AA meeting straight from work before going home - without that I'm sure I would have cracked under the pressure.

Plan for day 2 - same again - another AA meeting tonight straight after work...

Thanks for letting me share! Lots of love and support to you all...

PB
Old 05-13-2008, 03:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Music Lover

hi there. i'm just beginning day 5... i'm not a super heavy drinker (not daily) but when i do drink, I black out and get extremely emotional. I know it's something i have to quit completely.

keep it up yall!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hey everyone,

Im glad this thread is here, you guys are my heroes.

I feel like im on day one, though ive got some time.

hope ya dont mind.

i didnt relapse today. barely.

Something kiwi said, that being a binge drinker you feel ok from day to day. i cant put my finger on why, but that resonated with me, so thanks for sharing that.

I'm having a he77 of a time dealing with feeling less then, and not hitting my career mark. I sent in a resume for anopening that ive wanted since i began my recovery journey, and im going nuts waiting for a reply. Perhaps 7 days and no contact is the reply., I need a job, as it is, even if it isnt that one.

I swear, i feel such chaos over this, it feels like day one for me. Im really glad i didnt pick up today, it would have been easy. I really cant hang tomorrows sobriety on today's, or however long this string of days of mine has been. Im questioning my past mercilessly.

All i know is i cant blot out my feelings with drinking and drugs, it doesnt work. Just ruins my chances tomorrow.

i may have to look at tomorrow as another day one, too. Even if i dont blow that with booze. We'll see,
Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Day Six!!! Yes, it DOES get easier. And support makes all the difference. Thanks so much all of you for keeping this thread going and sharing.

Today I'm going to make a new to-do list. I've kind of been wallowing in self pity since my relapse, and I have to kick that. I have to remember my gratitude and remind myself that even though I am struggling, I am getting by and staying sober.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome DrugFreeUMfan! Well done for your 5 days. And congratulations to ROFL on your 6 days!

Good to have you sharing here too, Aavark - I really liked your point that "I can't hang tomorrow's sobriety on today's" - it's reminded me I've got to just focus on "not drinking today"...

I'm getting really nervous about my AA meeting tonight - I've never been to AA on a Tuesday and it will be a different group of people, a different location. I fear walking into a room full of people I don't know... my heart's down in my boots at the moment...

PB
Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i STILL get scared going to the SAME bunch of people pb!
Good luck, you'll be fine, and congratulations on getting back on this wagon
Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Super!

It's a bumpy ride today, but I'm desperately trying to hold on to the wagon... I don't want to fall off again, it hurts too much...

Thanks for encouraging me! Your little friend Paddington
Old 05-13-2008, 07:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

PB - don't worry about your meeting! Everyone in the room is in the same boat as you.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by PaddingtonBear View Post
I've never been to AA on a Tuesday and it will be a different group of people, a different location. I fear walking into a room full of people I don't know...
Cool! I'm doing the same thing tonight. In addition to the obvious reasons, I'm checking up on someone I feel a bit concerned about, going to support him.

I find the first meeting in a new location a bit tough but look at it this way - after the first couple of minutes, you will feel much more comfortable and you will now have this option in the future. When you need a meeting on a Tuesday night, you will know where to find familiar faces, support. D
Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well done Wizard and Doug for 9 days
Thanks!!!

I feel so happy today because I didn't drink last night, which means I'm into a brand new day 2.
Hope you had a good day 2!!!

Day 10:

Really not a big deal! Just moving along... :bounce
Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Back for another day, through day 5, not too bad today, my hard bit is getting home without buying any beer, 5.00 comes jump in the car and the wee voice says "couple of beers won't hurt in front of the telly tonight ". Made it though.

Its habit, once I'm home, happy playing with the kids, then bedding them, kind o think why did I keep pouring stuff down my throat at this time every night. I would have enjoyed the effects of the drink for a couple of hours at best before worrying I had work the next day, go to bed and sleep it off before waking up feeling crap.

When i've got my sensible head on you think why does anyone do that and yet its a habit I've been struggling to break for probably more than 10 years. Hopefully this is finally my time, got to keep telling myself to stop looking too far ahead though, day 6 to focus on tomorrow.

Thanks for all the posts folks, well done to everyone, doesn't matter what day your on, the important thing is your keeping going, good to know we're not alone wherever in the World we live.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Honesty. It's part of the program. I've bounced in and out so much it is ridiculous. But I'm back and that's what's important.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

made it through day 9. keep going everyone.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just checking in. Didn't drink last night, so into day 3. It's such a beautiful thing to wake up without a hangover...

Trying to take it nice and slowly. Last time I got a few days sobriety, in March/April, I got so carried away on a wave of euphoria and overconfidence and then stumbled. I don't want to make the same mistake again, so this time I'm trying to slow everything down. Slowly, slowly...

Well done to everyone!

Paddington
Old 05-14-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

(((((Wizard))))) - yes it IS a big deal! Day 10 is awesome.
(((((Fizzy))))) - Day 5! You're passing the detox period! It gets a little easier after that.
(((((Just4))))) - Glad you're here.
(((((NM))))) - Let's make it out of this thread and never HAVE to come back. We'll just pop in to offer encouragement.

(((((DES, Kiwi, DrugFree, Honu, and anyone else I missed))))) - hang in here with me.

7 Days and grateful.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Great to see the progress, all! Lets pray for Least.

(((((NM))))) - Let's make it out of this thread and never HAVE to come back. We'll just pop in to offer encouragement
This thread keeps me sober through humility and empathy. Don't think I'll ever "graduate." Thanks for the strength...

warren
Old 05-14-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

warrens, i havent graduated yet, either.

i didnt use yesterday.

Im headed to a noon meeting. I have to do something positive for my recovery today.

Im still feeling useless.

Im grateful i dont have to use today.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by PaddingtonBear View Post
It's such a beautiful thing to wake up without a hangover...
Paddington
It is indeed, one of the very best reasons to keep going