Notices

Going to a wedding tomorrow night...

Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to a wedding tomorrow night...

What the heck do I do??? I always have a couple of drinks at weddings and dance the night away...

I have to get some sort of gameplan especially since by tomorrow night I will have been sober only 7 days...

Maybe eat as much chocolate and as many virgin pina colada's as I want, lol... What do you guys do to get through situations like these???

PS. Day 6 and still completely sober!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I avoided situations like this in early sobriety. It was best for me at the time as I didn't feel strong enough to be faced with the temptation. I don't know if staying home is an option for you?

Chocolate is always on the top of my list for restorative or preventive purposes. Enjoy the virgin pina coladas or whatever non-alcoholic drink you want.

I suggest having a plan to leave if the feeling to drink becomes overwhelming... or having a friend to call etc.

I don't have a problem attending functions now.

Way to go on 6 days .
Old 05-09-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I stayed away too. Recovery and being around people who were drinking just didn't work for me.

But, like gypsy, it's fine now.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if staying home is an option for you?
Not really, it's a really good friend of my husbands.

I suggest having a plan to leave if the feeling to drink becomes overwhelming... or having a friend to call etc.
Ok, I'll put some plans in place tonight to call a friend, thanks!

Way to go on 6 days .
Thanks! I'm really excited about it!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

uhhhhh went to a wedding last weekend and sober drove my immediate family home safe, i think i would have prolly drank, but i had no money and wasn't man enough to drink a beer in front of my whole family. It is kind of wierd, everyone asked me how I was doing, like this is my extended family, and I mentioned I am struggling with life but I am trying to remain sober and move through with life, and like everyone knew I was trying to dry out and were very supportive, but waited until I shared so to mention it.

You can do it, don't bring any money
Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, you need a plan. A mental plan. Know what you will do and what you will say. It's really pretty simple.

You have the right to say whatever sounds "natural" to you. The more sincere and comfortable, the less you will have to grope for words.

Fortunately, I absolutely love orange juice. I can drink orange juice like I used to drink beer. A glass of orange juice and a shot of soda is a perfect wedding drink for me. Looks like a drink and quenches my thirst.

The less fear you bring to the situation, the less difficulty you will have and the more you will actually enjoy the moment. Bottom line is, no one gets to mess with your recovery.

warren
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

i smoked a ton of cigs too.........

and stared at the ladies in trappy heals.....and motivated myself to lose weight
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes.....parties .. weddings ... social and business events
sometimes are part of our lives.

Here are some tips that have worked for me
and I have left sober each time...

Go late ...leave early
Take your own car.

Ask a sober friend to go with you.
Take sober peoples phone numbers to call if you get antsy.

Turn your wine glass upside down at dinner
..denoting to the server you don't plan to drink
When toasts are made raise a glass of water

Get your own beverage from the bar. then
carry around a glass with something non alcoholic
(Club soda and Lime ..Coke with a cherry...Virgin Mary)

When asked "want a drink"?
you then say..."No thanks I have one"
When you leave your beverage ...smell before drinking.
It's easy to mix up the glasses.

Dance often and enjoy!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

good tips............
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

On the subject of having drinks that look like a grown-up beverage, I imagine to feel less conspicuous, I was a beer drinker...I loved my beer and wings. Turns out I really loved the drinking/effect mainly, but I really did like beer. I know O'Doulls has a trace amount of alcohol in it (as do some of my gravies and risotto, etc.), but it looks like beer (in a glass) and tastes like beer. Do you all think it's a terrible thing to have it? I know that there is no safe amount of alcohol, but for those who don't pick up after banana's foster, and have gone beyond feeling uncomfortable around alcohol, is it acceptable, perhaps?

I know last game I went to watch, I would have felt less like I had a spotlight on me if it looked like I had beer in front of me. I've already had strangers tell me to "lighten" up, simply cuz it's clear I'm drinking diet coke!

Also, for me, for now...I've switched out alcohol at events (I just went to a concert) with a few energy drinks. I know they aren't good for you in quantity, but still better than alcohol and they give you a little extra "pep" which isn't all bad, IMO.

Just go knowing you CAN'T drink and try to imagine how you would feel about it the next day and weigh whether it seems worth it. I'm guessing the answer is no. Also, I made the decision before I quit drinking that I ABSOLUTELY wouldn't drink anything if I was driving, so if you drive, and make that promise, then it's a good excuse (ie, no thank you, I'm driving) and will keep you focused on not drinking, hopefully.

Good Luck,
I think going into something prepared is great, I worry more about things and thoughts that creep up out of nowhere when you don't expect them! You'll be fine!

Karen
Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to a Christmas party 2 weeks after I quit - here is what I did.

I sat down with my treatment counselor, we set a UA for the day after the party. We talked about an exit plan if I feel overwhelmed with the urge to drink and made sure my wife was on board with it, I went to an AA meeting before the party, we discussed it in my group, and we left the party early.

I would suggest that you sit down and come up with your plan to stay sober, and do what I did, use every resource that you have and incorporate it into your plan.

Also, avoid virgin drinks as some do contain small amounts of alcohol, or you may just get it confused with a regular. Plus you order them from the bar and you should avoid the bar if you are trying to stay sober.

I hope that helps and look forward to hearing about your success.