Notices

Baby steps...

Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baby steps...

Well friends last night was Trivia Night. Oh how I LOVE trivia...you know that video trivia that they have at..egaaads...bars of all places. I was real nervous yesterday because I was kinda stressed out and I thought about gulping down a few beers with my game..so then I thought I shouldn't go at all, then I came to my senses and told my self no uncertain terms if I go there would be no drinking (this is just crazy, does everyone have this kind of internal dialogue or is it just addicts?)...so I went, and drank diet coke, and I won, twice!! I never won twice before. It's a tough crowd up there and they always kick my butt, but not last night. And my husband complimented me on the good job I am doing with sobriety (as I was driving him home from the bar because he'd been drinking)...

You know I thought about what Anna has said about how it helped her to just stay away from alcohol until she could deal with it...and I agree...but I don't know where else I can play video trivia (nor bask in the jealousy and admiration of the other players...lol...) that isn't a bar. GRRRR. Anyway just thought I'd update and share, hope you are all doing well today.

Fallin
Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had fun evening!

It sounds like you're doing well.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna, I know a bar is the last place I should be but I'm getting kind of bored reading books and watching Zombie movies all the time, plus I just really enjoy going out and playing trivia. Right now I feel like I can go do that and not drink but if it becomes a problem I will have to find other ways to amuse myself.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FallingUp,
Sorry, you're NOT falling down, or just Falling....it seems.

I know for me, my sobriety came from somewhere deep inside, and for that I'm very lucky and I pray it stays that way. I went to bars to drink, but for other reasons too, and the things I enjoyed doing (lol, I just typed drinking instead of "doing", go figure!) in those settings are still things I enjoy. I'm a sports lovin', music lovin, pool playin', and yeah, trivia too, kinda gal. I feel a little odd now in a bar, and I will say I did enjoy the taste of cold beer, but I am able to tell myself that I just am not able to drink and know the outcome and so it is almost like I've come to learn that it's like touching a hot stove, ok, others have super-hero powers and CAN touch the stove and not get burned, but darn, I WILL get burned, maybe not today, but surely I will. So if I want to still enjoy the things I enjoyed while drinking (like watching the RedSox kick Yankee butt!) well, I just have to learn to enjoy them without, and I do, but I'll admit, I can tell it will take time to feel at ease, not because I'm temped but because everything went together without question...and now the beer has been taken out, and now we don't make fools out of ourselves. For me, avoiding alcohol would be harder than facing it, I think. I just think about how great it feels to be sober each and every day, and I think of some horror story that involved drinking (and didn't they ALL?), and I'm fine. I still tip well at least, I just don't tip OVER as well!

I'm proud of you for going and kicking butt! I'm glad your husband gave you a pat on the back too, I know how much that can mean!
Sorry to ramble!
Karen
Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

God Bless you child cause like they say if you pass
to the Barber shop many times your bound to get a hair cut

meaning if "I" (Keep It on the "I") knowing that
I'm a recovering Alcoholic and drug Addict I would Bound to
take that first Drink, so God Bless you for your Will Power