Notices

First post - Alcohol

Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post - Alcohol

Hi guys,

Really just looking for some piece of mind here.

Im male, in my early twenties.

Basically, last week I started suffering from panic attacks. I have been heavy drinking (binge drinking) for years although this year particularly I have rarely went more that 3 days without a drink. Over the weekend I found myself over thinking everything, panicing myself over going crazy. I found myself extremely restless to the extent that I couldnt stand still at points.

I have alot the night before the night of the panic attacks. I saw the doctor yesterday and he said it was panic attacks more than likely brought on by my excess alcohol consumption.

I haven't had alcohol in about 3.5 days, But although Im not going into hysterics, I still feel restless and have this general uneasyness about me where nothing can distract me from my current feelings.

Is this the effect of my body being so used to alcohol, as the more I think about it, almost every social event I partake in Involves alcohol??

Also, this may sound stupid and patronising to people with a real concaine addiction and I apologize for that but I cant get it out my mind...

A few weeks ago I smoked two puffs of a cigarette with the top part replaced with cocaine (this couldnt be crack could it? as it was in the smoking section of a night club and I didnt know the guy (stupid I know) he says it was a little bit of "coke") these feelings couldnt be down to this? As I dont remember craving in the week immediately following it? I have snorted cocaine on a half dozen occasions...but usually only 1 line and this was years ago.

Are these feelings of uneasyness down to withdrawal from alcohol? When can I expect them to subside?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I forgot to say thanks in advance guys - any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well it sounds like mild alcohol withdrawals to me, restless and irratable. It should lessen with time, if it does not and you have not had anything to drink it may be time to see the doctor again.

BTW I am not a doctor, if this is BAD see your doctor!

If you find you can not stay sober you may wish to talk to your doctor about that and check out some long term recovery programs.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be withdrawls from alcohol that are causing your anxiety.

Check with your dr if things don't improve.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Falcon! Glad that you found us!

Check out our Alcoholism forum too! There are some stickies at the top of the forum that may interest you. Please keep posting! There is a lot of support here
Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome . The best advice is see your doctor. He will be able to answer your medical questions.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I too had a lot of restlessness in the beginning. It does get better with time.
Keep posting.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR falcone, great support and advice here for you.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Falcone,

I am glad you're here at SR. And I think you've made a big leap just by beginning to seriously question your drug use and your alcohol consumption. Emotionally and psychologically, this is a courageous move. And you can only benefit from it.

In my limited experience (40 yr old female - sober for first time since I was about 14 - have 3 months sobriety) making any substantial changes to your life, or even beginning to be introspective about things that you haven't previously wanted to consider, can bring along stress and anxiety. And although it's a difficult period of time, it will pass as you get more able to handle the internal growth.

I've experienced a lot of anxiety in my life and know how debilitating it can be. Panic attacks are terrifying. I went to the ER once with one - convinced it was a heart attack. I'm really sorry you're having them. They're awful. Even mild anxiety doesn't feel good. One thing I've found is that lying on the floor or another hard surface, putting my hand on my heart, and taking slow deep breaths can help. It starts out difficult and you don't think you're going to be able to slow your breath but then you can.

Another thing I've found is that when I'm not feeling a lot of panic or anxiety, if I use some of that time to write down my fears and ways I might address them, then when anxiety starts to set in, sometimes I can use that page to get a handle on it. You have to do that right away for it to really help if your sliding into panic, though.

Anyway, I think you are very brave and I'm glad you are reaching out. Not easy. Especially for young men, I think. Also, I agree that you should re-consult your doctor if things keep being difficult. I don't know how you feel about therapy but I've found it very, very helpful. Even if you go just for like 3 times to address one specific problem. It doesn't have to be a long-term and expensive endeavor.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

- MLE
Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Drink lots of water and get busy, busy doing something without drinking involved.... if you can work, early in the morning (7:30am) to about 7:00 pm, manual labor, see how you feel then, if panic is striking then, might be time for detox...

BTW

I'm not a doctor, nor would I wanna charge some one a cr*p load of money.....etc. etc.

reed
Old 05-08-2008, 05:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, im really starting to feel better.

My problem is (although its never really interferred with my life to a great extent) I have an obsessive type of mind.

Which as you can imagine would not help.

Ive not been in the hyserical feeling attacks for like a week now which is great and the uneasiness is calming down! Ill keep you guys updated!

Thanks again for so many replies!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am new to forum but not to AA. I should think that I need to stop drinking now. I have had a bad time to trying to stop. Picked up the beer again yesterday. I don't drink everyday. Just a few times too much a week. I need to stop all together because my health is being affected.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Falcon, welcome, first

I am not offering medical advice here, but sharing as one with a history of panic attacks. To be clear, I am not speaking of some general, vague anxiety or restlessness,(though they often start like that then build) but full-blown, freaking out, heart pounding, shaking, short of breath, light-headed, impending doom, PANIC ATTACK. (would not wish it on my worst enemy if I had one)

I had my first at age 19 or so, and it was a bad one. Had no idea what was happening. (this was years before I ever drank, ftr)

Over the years (still before I ever drank more than a beer a week or less) I would have one now and then, but very infrequently, maybe once in a year or less.

Over the last few years, I started getting them much more frequently.
Factors I think have contributed to this include:

Major stress in my personal relationship (my long-term partner and I having serious problems PLUS he became seriously ill and died a few mths ago)

My drinking, which I had been doing a lot of for 10 yrs or so and was feeling increasingly uncomfortable with, physically and mentally.

For a few mths before my partner died, I was having frequent attacks, often "back to back", meaning daily or almost so. And I am not talking about 15 minutes here, but HOURS on end of debilitating panic so bad it was all I could do just to maintain and not run screaming somewhere. I would pace, try to do something physical, watch movies in bed (just trying to breath and take my mind off it.) I took a week off work at one point, just because they got so bad/frequent.

While I know I was already prone to this condition, I noticed a pattern: I would binge and then the next day, I was more likely to have an attack than on days after I drank moderately or not at all. I think a lot of it was the guilt/anxiety generated BY my drinking to excess (that feeling of, "I'm going to die", well, I felt I WAS if I didn't stop killing myself with drink!...I think those attacks were, in part, very unpleasant moments of clarity...I had REASON to panic, given the path I was on)

Or perhaps they were, in part, a form of mini-detox...like my tolerance would go way up from a binge, even a 1 night one, and then I would go into detox with an attack. I don't know, but I have read the symptoms of each can be similar.

And I found that drinking would "help", meaning would ease the symptoms. Maybe just because it calmed my agitated nervous system or because it was stopping the mini-detox/withdrawals or both.

I have not had one since I started cutting WAY back on the way to stopping altogether (scared of the risks of cold turkey) knock on wood!

I know there are biochemical factors involved, but I also know they are, for me, often linked to stress/guilt/fear in my life (which DOES, of course, CREATE biochemical changes in the brain/body)

Best wishes!