Notices

Started Cleaning -

Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started Cleaning -

Read on here somewhere that somebody was cleaning there house. I don't even know if that's part of the recovery process, but I'm doing it anyways, lol!

Got all the old beer bottles and put them in a corner. My husband will get rid of those for me today. Or, maybe I should... Anyways, it made me feel better, like a new start or something. I still have a lot more cleaning and organizing to do, but I already feel better.

I also asked my husband not to bring any alcohol into the house. He has no problem with that. He said he won't even drink for awhile at all until I feel more comfortable with it. He asked if he should get rid of all the hard liquor. I said no cause it doesn't do anything for me. Just no beer or wine. We had no beer but we did have some wine - I dumped that right down the sink! It was a bit of torture, lol, but I guess something I felt I had to do.

He's a bit shocked and really proud of me. He's never seen me like this! I'm really proud of me.

Today is day 4 - maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. I don't know, I'm new at this. I guess something just clicked in me that said - I'm never going to have a problem with this again. I don't care, I'm just no longer dealing with this...
Old 05-07-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gosh now, I'm on day 36 and I guess I better get off my butt and clean my house! I DID get rid of the bottles that were empty and had to go the first day the trash pickup was due. Honestly, I have only now just started to feel any energy or capacity to be productive! I know cleaning will help because I don't know about you, but with SO much energy and time spent drinking and such, my home became quite, well....unmanageable and disorganized. Cleaning it will definitely put it more in line with being sober and will feel good.

It just took me what feels like forever to begin to feel human, but it sure feels good! Guess I'll join ya, no more excuses for me!

I think it's wonderful that your husband is right there being supportive of you. Personally, my bottles were snuck out to the trash, as they had been for quite some time. I'm sure his support will help you greatly! Congrats!

Karen
Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It just took me what feels like forever to begin to feel human, but it sure feels good! Guess I'll join ya, no more excuses for me!
That's awesome! Let me know how it goes! It's true, when I got home from work everyday I would immediately start drinking. Cleaning was the last thing on my mind.

It just feels like such a fresh, clean start!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

good for you!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Parent!!! :ghug3
Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wizard congrats on your time sober. You said:

He asked if he should get rid of all the hard liquor. I said no cause it doesn't do anything for me.
Let me share a little story, I mainly drank beer or hard liquor, well I ran out of both one night and I was actually so drunk at that I actually knew I was to drunk to drive and get more................................ well I had not finished the job yet and I found a bottle and a half of cooking sherry and drank that!!!!!

For this alcoholic if I need a drink bad enough I will drink what ever will get the job done.

maybe I'm overdoing it a bit.
Do not worry, one can always drink to much, but one can never over do recovery!!! Keep on keeping on!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well I had not finished the job yet and I found a bottle and a half of cooking sherry and drank that!!!!!
Good lord!!! hmmmm, you have given me something to think about... Thanks for sharing Taz...
Old 05-07-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Wizard! I'm new here, too, (had a little trouble getting registered....) however, I'm there with you. I am on my 4th day, also, and have just scoured my house. It smells great! I feel really good, a bit of trouble sleeping--but, when I do, it is really good sleep. What an awesome feeling. Anyway, I'm glad I finally got logged in, and will be back when I have time to introduce myself. Congratulations to you, and thanks to all--I have been online and reading your posts for over two weeks, and you have been Godsend. I have gained great strength through your posts. I feel hope, where I have had none.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Honu!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My wife is going away at the end of the month for a few days and I know I'll need to be kept busy when left to my own devices. So I'm planning lots of jobs around the house. It's a good thing that there are plenty of things that need doing. I know I'll feel better too.

Taz - I know cooking sherry aint too bad after a 12 pack and bottle of vodka.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

cleaning house

Hey everyone--I had to peek at this thread because I LOVE cleaning my house sober. When I was drinking, I would clean and get so upset at the mess and the overwhelming nature of everything that I would just get blotto and collapse on the couch.

Now, with 47 days of sobriety--a number I was afraid I would never see--I am working on getting my house clean and organized. It feels awesome, like a huge dirty weight has been lifted.

Have a beautiful, clean (get the pun?) and sober day all you fellow newbies!

Peace,

Jana
Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Wizard,

Don't you worry about "over doing" things on the sober end. We sure could over do things when we were drinking, but over doing sober? Nope. No such thing. In my opinion.

My house isn't any cleaner right now after 3 months sobriety - but it was initially. And ALL the bottles had to go immediately.

You're doing a good job! Keep it up!
- MLE
Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Another good thread. When I was well enough to care about it, I started cleaning too, & was shocked at what I had let slide. I always thought I kept things fairly decent - laundry was always caught up, beds made, the obvious stuff - but no "deep" cleaning had been done in a long time. I was embarassed. Also, there were a number of unfinished projects I just dumped in drawers & closets - papers I was sorting, sewing projects - all abandoned because I couldn't concentrate and didn't have any ambition. How great that you guys in early recovery are tackling this chore - I must've been much farther gone than you. I just paced around for days, feeling shaky & sorry for myself.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hannitized

I identify with you Wizard. I am on day 10. (My house is immaculate! )

Keep fighting the good fight. You are not alone.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post

Let me share a little story, I mainly drank beer or hard liquor, well I ran out of both one night and I was actually so drunk at that I actually knew I was to drunk to drive and get more................................ well I had not finished the job yet and I found a bottle and a half of cooking sherry and drank that!!!!!

For this alcoholic if I need a drink bad enough I will drink what ever will get the job done.

I just have to share. I was making brownies the other day from scratch and I needed vanilla extract. In the back of my cabinet is a little bottle that looks like vanilla, but it's lemon extract, which I have but have never used. Well, it was totally empty. I don't think it was left open, so a fleeting thought came to mind, "Did I DRINK it????" :wtf2

3 years ago when I was forced to not drink because I got my DUI, we had no alcohol in the house and I thought I had poor judgement but not an alcohol problem overall (ie, thought I abused alcohol but was not an alcoholic), and one day I, too, drank cooking wine. Nyquil too, I think. I thought I was "showing them". Tell ME I can't have alcohol! Yeah, no problem there. Maybe I was in withdrawl, I dunno, it was a blur. But, NOW, I have grown internally SO much and I embrace the knowledge that I'm an alcoholic and there is no less than 6 bottles of various stuff on my fridge because it doesn't scare me or worry me or intimidate me or call to me. I use wine to cook (and NO, I don't make a gravy OF wine!) and I can pour a glass of Bailey's for my husband and I feel nothing but strength and happiness and peace. So, everyone is different, for sure. It shouldn't be a matter of what you did drink but whether having it around still has you at peace, in any form. I know for me, any form is fine and if it ever isn't anymore, it goes until it is.

Sorry to ramble and hijack the thread, but I hope I tied it back together!

Karen
Old 05-08-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Karen I am like you today, there is booze in my house sometimes, heck we even have cooking sherry in the pantry!!! LOL