Notices

Small Victories are huge for me now

Old 05-05-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Small Victories are huge for me now

I had my 30 days clean yesterday, and for about the past 6 months, I suspected the power company was cheating me, but I was too screwed up, guilty, and behind on the bill to really figure out what was going on. Well, one of the first things I started working on this month was catching up the bills so I didn't lose everything. I called up the power company while I was still getting high about 6 weeks ago and told them that I didn't think my bills were right (they were about $1,000 a month). I mean I knew things went up by 60% but still, I had been cutting back on heating and things. And that amount was way more than 60% higher. The power people said that it was correct and that I had to pay it. They also said they did a bill "by estimate using the annual average" for February and March, which they are allowed to do around here for a couple of months out of each year per residence (crazy, I think). So when I got clean, I kicked up a fuss and demanded they come out and read the meter. I wanted them to see if it was accurate and also check if the meter was broken for it to be so high on average. Well, they finally did, and guess what, the bill was over the meter by so much that they owed me a lot of money. So my bill for April was only $14 after they paid me back. Yay! And I paid it, and now my power (and some other bills) are finally current for the first time in years. It may sound trivial, but for me it's a major thing. I was actually going to have to move if that was how much the power was going to be every month. I never would have figured this out when I was getting high. I didn't have the clarity...Go me!!! Now we don't have to use candles next month for light!!! hehe
kj
Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

That is a wonderful thing!!! Security is a great feeling....good job.

Cathy
Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

not trivial at all - being accountable for your bills is huge! job well done! k
Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That doesn't sound trivial at all Kj!

Good for you!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Congrats to you! And it should be victory's should be huge to you!

Not trival at all when we are aware of what goes on around us it is a good feeling that hard earned money is not being thrown away in a lot of area's anymore!

Way to go!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Heck, there's a buttload of sober people who can't even do that! :rof
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

That is awesome! (they average ours around here too during winter months.)

I am glad you realized the jump now and called them on it.

Don't you love how we can think rationally now and figure things out and the the fear is gone? Seemed like when I was high I was either scared, or sad when faced w/ problems that needed solving.

go you! :-)
Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
"Welcome To The Future..."

kj,

Great job on making it 30 days! I know it has not been easy, but the reward is definitely worth it!!!! I wish you the best of luck in everything you do. Sounds like things are looking up for you, especially since now you can keep up with your bills and now clearly see when something is not right with one of them! I can definitely identify with the bill paying situation. I'm just now starting to get back on track with it myself. I would get a bill in the mail, lay it down somewhere, then forget where it was b/c I was too high to care! I've been trying to do some spring cleaning, and wouldn't you know it, I'm finding bills from 6 months ago that were never paid. That is just so unlike me that it shocks me everytime! Now, thanks to you and sobriety, I have something else to look forward to--not forgetting where I have thrown down an important bill or document!!!

Continue to stay strong in your recovery kj! Best of luck in everything you decide to do!!!!

butterfly19

:day