Notices

Another Newcomer

Old 05-03-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Newcomer

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself. I've been drinking pretty heavily with few breaks for 8 years, most of my 20s. I've decided for my health to quit. I'm a black-out kind of drinker.

I worry about my support system, living with my finance-- also a drinker and so are our friends AND family. I decided to reach out online. I also have an appointment with an addiction evaluator next Friday. I went through this eval before... last Oct. but didn't commit or follow through.

Not this time. I will follow through.

It's only been 5 days.. but it's 5 days. I'm surviving the weekend thus far and it gives me very high hopes. Thankyou for reading.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi tangram and welcome to SR congrats on your five days and your commitment. Best to see a doc too and be very honest, that way we get all the help we need. SR is a great source of support, be sure to read all ths stickies here and in th Alkie forums and to plan your support ie a program and or counselling.

For me in early days I could not be around others who where using and today see no point in being around others who are usining and do not wish to get well.

Again Welcome

Kevin
Old 05-03-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome, Tangram! You have found a place full of good advice and good people. Congratulations on your 5 days sober! I am at 23 days sober today.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Couldn't think of a better nam

Hi Tangram! I'm a newbie here too. There's no such thing as "only 5 days"! I can't wait until I can say "OMG I have FIVE WHOLE DAYS!!!!"

I wish you all the best.

Kind regards,
Lori
Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Tangram. Weekends are tough, aren't they? The fact that you're getting through this one and posting here is something to be so proud of. I wish with all my heart I'd had the sense to do what you're doing in my 20's. Now here I am decades later with a trail of destruction behind me. This never has to happen to you! Does your fiance feel there's a problem with your drinking? You'll find all sorts of help & support here - 9 mos. ago I accidentally stumbled on SR. For 5 mos. I read everyone's stories with a drink by my side, laughing & crying. I finally laid down in January after a horrific relapse and am headed to 4 mos. This place has been a miracle for me. May you feel that way too. Love, Joanie
Old 05-03-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Welcome aboard. That's fitting because you'll find many here, myself included, in the same boat.

Here's your oar and life vest.

Godspeed.

Liberty~
Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome

Really glad you decided to join in. SR is really helpful because anytime day or night they are always here.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Tangram,

I think you have some serious strength in you to be able to move forward with a lot of drinkers around you. I couldn't have done 5 days sober at the beginning without being in treatment and going to AA and having everyone around me stop drinking in my presence. I was so terrified at the beginning - I felt like I didn't have the ability to stop my own body from moving for a drink. I know this, because I tried, before I finally got help and support.

So, I'm glad you're here and glad you are getting the evaluation done. Do you think your girlfriend drinks alcholically, from your perspective? Are there alcoholics in your family?

Rooting for you,
MLE
Old 05-03-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!! It is wonderful that you have started your sobriety and joined us here at SR. I am still learning all of the time. It feels great not taking poison anymore, doesn't it!!!

Take care,

Donna
Old 05-04-2008, 03:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your new beginning!

I use SR as a vital supplement to
my face to face AA recovery.

Glad you found us...
Old 05-04-2008, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 05-04-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Welcome to SR tangram. You're in good company here because we all have or are where you are. Strength in numbers. Keep coming back!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Tangram:
Welcome to SR, and congrats on your 5 days! For me every clean and sober day is a miracle that I have learned to treasure. I was told one time that "it never really gets easier, but it does get better", I didn't understand that at first, but after some intense thought and meditation, it has helped me to remain sober for 560 days (a year and a half) now. Acceptance and Surrender are the keys, Brother! Unlock the doors, and more will be revealed.
Just keep plugging along a heartbeat at a time if you have to
Old 05-04-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses!

I have been do a Dr. and have a followup next week, in addition to addiction eval. Last night I told a few of my girlfriends. It was a girl's night out and I suggested a movie and dinner vs. clubbing and bars. Surprisingly to us all, very much more enjoyable. It was hard at dinner, the place being picked on cheapest drinks but they were understanding, and I coped better than I thought.

My fiance on the other hand, went out to the bar with his father and now it's morning. I'm awake ready to do something and he's sleeping it off. So yes, I believe he's a problem drinker too, but at this time I'll be working on myself and seeing what happens. He didn't drink on Friday--simply following my example, so that's something.

Next weekend is the challenge. That was going to be my original last drinking days...we are going with friends to a waterpark hotel for 2 nights. Everyone drinks both nights but are sober during the day. Regardless, I am bringing up a book, headphones, a DS to preoccupy myself once they are all feeling toasty. I figured just do it, stop waiting for that next "special event" to quit, because they keep on coming, especially when it's the holidays.