Notices

Easier said than done

Old 04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Post Easier said than done

This is my first post on these forums as well as my first true day of being sober. I would just like to say that upon reading many post on this forum, it's comforting to know there are others out there. Not only others, but people who want to help and listen. Thank you for that.

I've drank every day since my 21st birthday and only today has it struck me the toll it's done on things. I haven't done very much research on ways to treat alcoholism. I hear a lot of talk about AA on these forums, however I'm not sure what my comfort level would be at. I think it's a conflict from me being young, and my general assumption would be I'd be the 'baby' so to speak.

Although it's a long story, the reason I decided to quit today was from feeling sick every day. From being tired of hiding my flaws. And from the fear of facing an even larger depression down the road.

It's taking me about 2 hours to write this message (which to me is funny since I type about 80 words a minute). Too much things going on in my mind right now that it's hard to compile my thoughts. I guess I'll hit the submit button and see what happens.

PS. The animated smilies I've been staring at this entire time of writing give me a headache.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find lots of support and wisdom here. You will also find that addiction has no age, gender or race. It doesn't discriminate, you will find that the disease is the same no matter how old you are.
I look forward to getting to know you and sharing my story.
W
Old 04-29-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome, Snores. I am a newbie, too.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Snores,

Welcome! You might get to like the Smilies, as time goes by.

AA is a good way to stop drinking but there are other methods. I use SR, plus do work on recovery on my own, every day.

Here is a list of recovery programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Well I look forward to hearing more from you Wendy. It doesn't allow me to PM until I have 5 post apparently, or else I'd send you a quick story of my own.

Thanks Suki. :-)
Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi snores!! Everyone started out with day one. So don't feel nervous if thats why it took you a while to get it typed out. You'll find very cool people on here who will share their stories with you and give you tons of support. Stick around!!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Thank you for the resource Anna.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Snores,

You are taking a huge step and it's scarey and difficult. One thing you can be certain of is that you have many people here who really understand that. It's a very powerful site with a lot of hope and support. I'm glad you're here. And I'm glad you've decided to get sober.

I do go to AA and I find it to be another really powerful support for my sobriety. Each meeting is different and I'm sure each town has a slightly different flaver. I went to about 7-8 meetings before I found 2 that I really connected with and which I go to regularly. One of mine is a discussion group and one is a speaker group and I find that kind of nice - a good balance. In both of them, there's a very wide range of ages and experiences and all different types of people. It's kind of like this site - you know if we all got in a room and had a potluck together, we'd find we were very, very diverse. Age doesn't matter a bit here. It's like that. Everyone is here for the same thing and that's what counts.

Again, you are doing a courageous thing. I am rooting for you now.

- MLE
Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Welcome, Snores.

Re: the age thing in AA, unless you really live in the sticks it shouldn't be a problem. I'm 22, as are a couple of my sponsee sisters. One of my 'sisters' is 24, and she just had her five-year sobriety anniversary! The older people outnumber us for sure, but we're not oddities by any means. If the age thing is your main concern, check out a Young People's meeting to get your toes wet.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Snores.
Look around and see what you feel comfortable with, best wishes.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi....

I consider AA meetings to be classrooms for happy sobriety.
Welcome to SR!